Head Coach Candidates (Coaches Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 29, 2014.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

kind of funny coming from a Steelers fan.
    you realize your own GMs have not had the ability to hire or fire coaches right? They don't allow a GM to define their identity, they find GM's that fit that identity.
    and you also realize that the Steelers continually emphasize a defensive philosophy?
    that model is exactly what i want to follow, and is exactly what the Steelers do.
    you criticizing that makes no sense.

Axel3419 likes this.
  2. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Sumlin please

dawinner127 likes this.
  3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I expect Adam Gase to be on this list at some point

4. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Bring in Quinn, hire Trestman as OC. See if Trestman can fix Geno.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  5. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Will be interviewed by everyone, hired by no one.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Absolutely not, he is another defensive guy that runs a scheme dependent on elite CB play with all the blitzing he does.

JMO

Does anyone know what kind of defensive scheme Quinn runs?

7. BleedGreen89

Sumlin, Trestman and Clemson DC Brent Venables

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  8. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Base Cover 3 shell, a lot of single high Earl Thomas, they almost never blitz, mainly zone but will play single high press coverage at times. I shy away from Quinn because of how rediculous that Seattle personnel is.

legler82 and Red Menace like this.
  9. BleedGreen89

Sumlin Shaw and Malzahn are all good moves. Question is do any of them want to leave? I think Auburn is Malzahns dream job

10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Offensive minded coach hmmm the last 3 were Joe Walton. Bruce Coslet and Kotits all 3 did wonders for the organization

74 and Jets1035 like this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

But don't the jets have a strong front 7 that can run similar types of 4-3 alignments?

If they can find a free safety and 2 good CB not elite, could they not be good under his scheme?

I found an article on his defense, I like it, however it's about his ability to manage all three facets of the game, not to just his OC to run the offense like rex did.

I would like to hire a HC who hires a DC like Quinn, with his philosophy on defense.

Seahawks’ Dan Quinn keeps things simple, making defense simply the best
    Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn has returned Seattle’s defense to the basics since returning before the 2013 season. His simple philosophy is working and a big reason the defense is playing better than ever.

By Bob Condotta

Seattle Times staff reporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    KEN LAMBERT / THE SEATTLE TIMES, 2013

Dan Quinn file

Born: Sept. 11, 1970, Morristown, N.J.

College: Salisbury (Md.) State

Notable pre-Seattle jobs: 49ers defensive line coach 2003-04, Dolphins defensive line coach 2005-06, Jets defensive line coach 2007-08.

Here’s one that does not: the least-bit deceiving.

No new tricks have been revealed the past few weeks as the Seahawks have embarked on a defensive run as impressive as any in the NFL this season. No ground-breaking alignments have been unearthed.

Instead, the Seahawks have relied on basic schemes and talented players as they have won three in a row to improve to 9-4 entering Sunday’s game at CenturyLink Field against the 49ers.

“We’ve got two to three base defenses, pretty much, and we run that all game,’’ said linebacker K.J. Wright. “And then we’ve got about four nickel defenses. So it’s simple, man. And that allows us to play fast.’’

Which is just the way defensive coordinator Dan Quinn likes it.

“We have such trust in these guys, we really do,’’ says Quinn, who is in his second year as the defensive coordinator, taking over in 2013 when Gus Bradley left to become the head coach at Jacksonville. “We want them to play at their fastest and we know for us to play at our best and really fast, that there can’t be so many checks ... that you are thinking less about going after somebody and getting your cleats in the grass and attacking.’’

Quinn, a 44-year-old former small-college defensive lineman the Seahawks call DQ, has kept things incredibly simple, making Seattle simply the best defense in the NFL. He also has won a Super Bowl, weathered a slew of injuries and turned himself into one of the hottest head-coaching candidates in pro football.

‘What are you?’

Quinn had been Seattle’s defensive line coach in 2009-10 before spending two years as the defensive coordinator at Florida and then returning to Seattle.

Undoubtedly, he was handed a pair of aces when he came back to the Seahawks. First, he inherited immense talent. Second, his boss, Pete Carroll, has deep roots on defense.

Yet under Quinn, the Seattle defense has ascended to even greater heights. The Seahawks set franchise records for points allowed (14.4) and yards (273.6 per game) in 2013.

And after a few early-season stumbles after injuries to linebacker Bobby Wagner, safety Kam Chancellor and others, the Seahawks’ recent numbers are as good or better than the Super Bowl champs of a year ago. Seattle is allowing 14.4 points over its past seven games, and 237 yards over the past eight. The latter would be the second-lowest in NFL history since expanding to a 16-game schedule in 1978.

After dropping as low as 11th in the NFL in total defense earlier this season, Seattle again ranks first, at 274.5, and third in points allowed, at 18.1

Seattle has a chance to become the first team since the Minnesota Vikings of 1969-71 — the famed “Purple People Eaters — to allow the fewest points for three straight years.

Under Carroll, the Seahawks have always had a reputation for being basic on defense. This isn’t Arizona with its vast array of blitzes and formations. But Quinn has streamlined things even more.

“He keeps it simpler than Gus,’’ Wright said.

As former NFL safety Matt Bowen recently wrote for Bleacher Report: “It’s not complicated or exotic. And it doesn’t look very cool when we draw it up on the chalkboard. But it sells when you can get 11 guys to run to the ball, play with technique and trust the scheme.’’

Seattle’s base defenses, usually run out of a 4-3 alignment, remain a Cover 1 — man-to-man coverage except for deep safety Earl Thomas and Cover 3 — zone with three defensive backs each covering a third of the field. A lot of tweaks can be made but the basics rarely change.

“You see some teams out there they are just trying to run all kinds of stuff,’’ Wright said. “They are all over the place but they don’t have an identity as a defense. I believe we have a great identity. We know who we are and what we do. If you don’t have an identity and something that is set in stone, then who are you? What are you?’’

Simpler is better

Quinn, a former defensive lineman at Division III Salisbury (Md.) State, decided long ago that simpler is better.

“The scheme part of it is important,’’ Quinn said. “But I guess I learned in my time what’s just as important is the players in terms of you really want the best fundamentals you can have. It’s tackling. It’s all the discipline things that go into football. So we want our guys attacking in that way as much as we can.’’

That’s never been more evident than the past few weeks.

A short turnaround for a Thanksgiving night game at San Francisco meant neither team could do much specific game planning.

The Seahawks’ three starting linebackers and four defensive backs were on the field for every snap but held the 49ers to a field goal and just 164 yards.

Sunday against the up-tempo offense of the Eagles, the Seahawks were even better, holding the Eagles to 139, the fewest against a Seattle defense since 2005.

Everyone wondered why. The simplest reason might be the best.

“Sometimes when we play the no-huddle teams, we don’t have tons and tons of calls here where we put all this stress on someone and have different checks and different things in the game,’’ Quinn said. “They can get a call in quickly and go.’’

Seattle’s defenders embraced the concept. They depend on each other, not on a scheme coming from coaches.

“Teams know what we are doing,’’ Wright said.

It doesn’t matter.

“It’s the personnel,’’ Thomas says. “You can’t replace that.’’

‘Pretty cool’

Consider that Seattle is blitzing just 24 percent of the time this season, according to Pro Football Focus, 21st most in the NFL. And that total is inflated by a midseason stretch when injuries forced the Seahawks into blitzing 33.25 percent of plays to prop up the pass rush.

Now healthy, the Seahawks rely on a four-man rush. Defensive end Cliff Avril considers that the ultimate compliment, an admission that Seattle’s pass rushers are doing their job.

“That’s pretty cool,’’ Avril said.

All sorts of stats show that what Seattle is doing works. Quinn, though, shrugs off the numbers. What impressed him when looking at film against the Eagles was the sight of players tapping each other on the arms and shoulder pads before snaps. That was missing earlier in the season.

Each tap was an unspoken way of saying, “C’mon let’s go!’’ Quinn said. “You can feel that connection that all good teams have.’’

As Seattle’s defensive play has improved, so has Quinn’s stock as a potential head coach. Many expect his name to be at the top of lists to fill vacancies after the season.

Wright calls Quinn “my guy’’ yet he laments, “I don’t expect him to be here next year. I expect him to be a head coach.’’

Quinn might have had a chance at the Cleveland job last season but the timing to pursue it wasn’t right with Seattle in the middle of its Super Bowl run.

“Someday I would like to do that,’’ Quinn said of becoming an NFL head coach. “But I’m having a blast right now.’’

Comparing defenses
    Here is a look at some key numbers for the 2013 Seattle defense and 2014:

Category 2013 2014
    Points per game 14.4 18.1
    Yards per game 273.6 274.5
    Yards per play 4.4 4.8
    Rushing yards per game 101.6 84.1
    Passing yards per game 172.0 190.4

12. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I would like Dan Quinn, but would prefer a more good offensive minded coach.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It would take a big money deal to get Sumlin as he signed a big extension with A&M before this season and he's got some nice guarantees in his contract. I think Shaw and Malzahn could be had for $4M-$5M a year. All 3 of them have a lot of upside.

almbleamal likes this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I had heard that the Jets were mainly pursuing Harbaugh right out of the gates in unison with their GM search. Harbaugh is good enough of a guy that you have to reach out to immediately. They and everyone knows he's going to Michigan, so in all likelihood we will get the GM first and he will hire his coach.

15. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I'm a minority (Hispanic) interview me. I have -0- experience but it will fulfill the NFL requirement and get me a free paid lil vacation to NYC. Make it happen Woody..

NY Jets68 likes this.
  16. jack handy

jack handy Member

I don't get why everyone thinks Rex is going to have his pick of head coach jobs. The jets have been getting worse every season. So what that his players love him.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  17. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

That's because Woody inexplicably hired a consulting firm to do it for him, AND because, with keeping the coach, he had the luxury of time.

18. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

If they go Quinn (not 100% against), there better be a former HC as OC who knows what the hell is doing. No more Schotty's or MM's. Get someone with a fucking clue.

AJW likes this.
  19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I'm hoping a name like Gary Kubiak pops up at some point. Not saying I absolutely want him but I wouldnt mind taking a chance on him. Sometimes guys who get fired as a HC the first time around learn from their mistakes and are better for it. Kubiak is a bright offensive mind whose really helped out the Baltimore offense this year.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Since it was reported that the Jets reached out to Rex's agent about one of his other clients, here are a few people Jimmy Sexton represents:

Nick Saban (probably not an option)
    Dennis Allen (may be an option, but not a great one)
    Lane Kiffin (stop)
    Chud (STOP)
    Jim Schwartz (Meh, could do worse, but still not great)
    Jimbo Fisher (not happening)
    Gus Malzahn (yes please)
    Jim Mora (unfortunately lines up with CBS report from yesterday)

Jets4eva9011 likes this.