Have optimism but also don't expect much in 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Jul 23, 2021.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If our defense is as good as it looked in the scrimmage we will be in most games. My guess the defense is not as good and the offense is not as bad.

We at least look like a competent team this far. With a rookie OC and rookie QB the offense will take longer to click especially without Knapp. That was huge loss for the team this season. It will delay the growth of Zach and Lefluer.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't expect them to win 8 games. I expect (or think may be a better word), that they'll win between 5-8 games, more likely winning only 6-7, and could win only 5. To get to 8 wins imo everything would have to go close to perfectly with no major injuries.

I know that you weren't saying that, and were instead just saying what other fans would do.

Regardless of what happens this season, it won't be well received by some Jets fans. Jets fans are notorious for being cynical, negative and pessimistic. The team has given them good reason to be that way and conditioned fans to be that way, but still we have a choice. Fans/posters are free to think whatever they want, but imo it is silly for a fan to think that the Jets should win 9 games this season, or he's not going to be happy. This team was 2-14 last season. We have a new CS with a rookie HC and OC, new systems on both sides of the ball, a LOT of new players, many of whom are young/rookies, a new blocking scheme, and a rookie QB. Even though I'm VERY optimistic about the future, imo it's just not realistic to expect (demand) that the team win 9 games this season or one will be upset. This is a rebuild it's going to take some time, and we just have to be patient.

You're probably right that there will be flak, but that doesn't meant that those fans creating the flak are right or realistic. There would be some fans who would complain if the team won 14 games, because they didn't win 15 or 16. The truth is some fans just like to have something to complain/gripe about. That's all I was trying to say. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but throwing up your arms over a bad scrimmage is akin to declaring the Jets super bowl champs after winning the opening game of the season.

There is no shot at winning a championship this season. Everyone know this. I just want to see this team compete on a weekly basis, which is something they couldn't do last year.

4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

watchability last watchable team...prolly 2015

cval likes this.