Have optimism but also don't expect much in 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Jul 23, 2021.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm expecting very little this season. I'd like to see them play hard, compete and not get blown out or no show games. I've seen that too many times. Just don't be an embarrassment.

1-16 seems like an overly pessimistic take, but I don't think 5-6 wins is a crazy prediction. Wilson is a complete unknown. He seems like he has what it takes, but he could suck. If he plays poorly, obviously the team wont be great.

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting to be picking somewhere in the 5-10 pick range. As we saw with Sam, it really hinges on the QB. Thankfully, they did a much better job surrounding Wilson with talent, so it'll be easier to evaluate him.

HomeoftheJets, york61 and PJ4Ever like this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Maybe, but that will depend on how shaky our DBs look. He might last the season if they need him.

That should heal, and not slow him down much.

Too soon to judge Becton. Hopefully he isn't made of glass, and he lost some weight this year. Plus we added depth to tackle.

True, who knows what will happen here. Honestly, we should have traded him to dump his contract while we still could. If he bombs we are stuck holding another big bag of wasted cap.

My only concern are the rookies. Out last 4 rookie HCs all went 10-6 their first season. Rookie coaching doesn't have to be a problem. But the rookie talent can be. We aren't sure what we got yet.

I'm pretty sure we will win week 1. The Panthers have a weak o-line and we all know Sam wont develop with that. I don't see Sam leading them to a win - turnovers will be our biggest enemy that game. If we get off to a good start in week 1 we might gain some momentum. But overall I do agree. This team is not nearly as talented on paper as many are expecting, and not as talented as I was hoping for going into the offseason.

#62 ouchy, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    barfolomew, PJ4Ever and REVISion like this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Something went wrong with your quoting. Every quote is the same post.

ouchy likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get very excited about our D line. IMO that will be the group that will make the largest impact on how many wins we get. There is a lot of potential there - especially in the middle.

Both Q and Fatukasi are beasts. Fatu might not have the burst that Q does but he is the real deal. He is a great tackler and always gets a push. In a 4-3 they are going to lay down some hurt on a few QBs and RBs. Both of them were good last season and I expect them both to be even better this year.

Lawson's best games were lining up next to Atkins so he should thrive with Q/Fatu in the middle. If his speed is still there this could be a big sack year for him.

Hopefully Curry and the rest also show up big, or at least someone stands out. If so we could easily have a top 5 DL this season. Maybe the beginnings of a new sack exchange. I'm getting pumped thinking about it.

york61, dawinner127, PJ4Ever and 6 others like this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This might be the first time I've ever agreed with you.

Our front 4 is going to be really freaking good in the 4-3. Quinnen is finally going to be able to get after the QB + they added Lawson and Curry to clean up messy pockets. You also didn't mention John Franklin-Myers; he had rock solid pressure rates when he was on the field. They're going to be real fun to watch.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think it is obvious that they won't be a dumpster fire. The GM and the Head Coach are on the same page. Youth doesn't mean that the team will win 1 game. It's unrealistic for fans to think Zach Wilson will instantly be great. He will have growing pains and could cost the Jets some wins. However, the roster has too much talent to think they will only win 1 game. I said that last year when fans were assuming the Jets would tank and go (0-16). Now they have upgraded many positions and even more so: the coaching staff. No matter how they coach, they will be upgrades.

How many wins do you think the Texans are going to get? -5?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

As the roster stands, if Zach goes down early it could turn into a dumpster fire and wasted season on offense. We need guys like Mims and Moore to develop and break out. That wont happen with a Luke Falk type QB. Our offense could become painful to watch real fast.

AJW and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I agree. I will be happy with a steady progression from Zach. I am a little disappointed they did not close the deal on Maye. Also the sad passing of Knapp is going to hurt as he was supposedly some kind of QB savant. But I have been a Jet fan since 70 so I can wait.

cval and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

1. If Maye is traded, it’ll probably be another fantastic JD fleecing.
    2. On Quinnen: Way to jump to conclusions
    3. Ditto on Becton, who seems to be healthy and losing weight if you’ve been keePinG taBs oN tHe neWs.
    4. Mosley is a pivotal part of the season. How he plays probably determines whether the defense is solid or below average
    5. There’s certainly a lack of experience on the team, but I think it can be a good thing. The Jets have certainly had success the first year of new coaches pretty from Parcells all the way through to Bowles.

It would take everything going wrong for the team to have 1 win. Other way around, if everything goes right, this team can win 9-10. There’s quite a bit of uncertainty with this team right now because its so young.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Neither of you mentioned Sheldon Rankins who is a friggin beast when healthy. DL is a potential force.

11. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I mean you could say the same thing about Sean McVay before he became a head coach. He had all of 8 years coaching experience and he was given a head job. This is Qb coach.

12. cmcm750203

I’m not going through this point by point, but I think I remember you defending Gase a decent amount, so your dumpster fire comment really has no basis in reality. Gase was a dumpster fire. Gase was the ultimate dumpster fire.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

How about we just play a meaningful game past Halloween? That would be a step in the right direction to the say the least

14. cmcm750203

One of my favorite herm quotes had something to do with ghosts and vampires. When we get off to shitty starts I always remember that.

Noam likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? You're going to compare the two resumes?

With McVay, 7 of those 8 years of experience were in the NFL. He was an OC for two years before he became a HC. He had zero experience as a QB Coach, and I think that led to the mistake with Goff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McVay

Calabrese had 8 years of experience, BUT only 2 of those years were in the NFL, and then only as an Offensive Quality Control Coach. His first year was being a QB Coach in HS!!!!!!! The next two years he was a Graduate Assistant at UCF, but it doesn't say what he coached/how much responsibility he had. Then he was a RB Coach at Wagner for a year, and the next two years he was OC and QB Coach at Wagner, before joining the Broncos as Offensive Quality Control Coach.

You say "Qb coach" as if it's nothing. That is perhaps THE most important coaching position on the Jets at present. They don't need some schlub learning on the job, no matter how bright or how much potential he may have. He may have gotten this job as a favor that Saleh felt he owed to someone, because he knew he had Knapp, and Knapp would be the main one working with the QBs.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post!

PJ4Ever likes this.
  17. cmcm750203

I’m not comparing the two in terms of acumen, just experience. People argued mcvay wasn’t ready either. Also, if we are laying Zach’s hopes on one guy we’re in trouble. This is and should be a team effort to coach the guy. Knapp dying was horrible and tragic, not gonna downplay it, but I’m sure they’ll all be fine in the end.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You cannot have to many people in your ear. A QB coach is critical especially for a rookie as he is still learning how to be a pro. He needs a go to person and that was Knapp. We cannot minimize the loss of Knapp it will hurt Zach in the beginning. On the bright side Zach is a film Junkie and that will help.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I said that in my original response. Injury is the only way that could happen. The team, as it is right now, is going to be fine. Maybe not make the playoffs or win the Super Bowl, but they will compete each week, and win somewhere between 7 and 10 games. And I think that is reasonable.

Douglas not addressing the back-up QB position has been unacceptable though. If Wilson were to go down, and the Jets had to go with Morgan or White, it would be very frustrating to watch. I still believe a move will be made in the upcoming weeks to add a true back-up.

ouchy likes this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Well said. Huge loss for Wilson, the Jets and the NFL. Saleh always talks about how we cannot see what we are made of until we are tested with adversity. I cannot imagine a bigger test than this. I trust in JD and the CS to do their best to respond minimize the damage. It will mean everyone stepping up their game. Calabreze, Lafluer, the 2 offensive assistants, Saleh and all 3 QBs. I do wonder if Knapp's passing will change their plans of going without a veteran QB.

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.