" 'Hard Knocks' effect : Will Jets be distracted ? "

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Jun 3, 2010.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I guess I am not the only one that feel this way

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...10-06-12_hbo_causing_a_ruckus_over_revis.html

Through the years of controversy and turmoil there has been no shortage of targets for Jets fans, and media, to point fingers at.

Now there's a new one - HBO.

This became apparent on June 3, when All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis, seeking a new mega-bucks contract, sat out an offseason practice for the first time.

On that particular Thursday, HBO's cameras were in Jets camp shooting promotional material for "Hard Knocks," the reality series that will chronicle Gang Green's training camp. ESPN New York.com's Rich Cimini suggested Revis' boycott was "orchestrated," linked to the presence of HBO's cameras.

Profootballtalk.com's Evan Silva (under a headline reading "Revis' holdout Hard Knocks-induced?") took it a step further, offering a few other "theories." He said Revis' agent "is using" HBO to spotlight his client's quest for a new pact. Then there was a conspiracy theory. "HBO is working with Revis to pump up its ("Hard Knocks") ratings," he wrote.

"All this stuff is really ridiculous," said HBO Sports boss Ross Greenburg. "It's really unfair to Darrelle, Mike Tannenbaum and the Jets organization. There's no great HBO drama here."

At least not yet. The soap opera could come in August, especially if this Revis thing isn't resolved. That's when NFL Films cameras (NFL Films is employed by HBO to shoot and produce "Hard Knocks") will show up at the Jets' SUNY-Cortland training camp. The "Hard Knocks" crew has experience being flies on the walls of high-profile holdout situations.

In 2008, it was Chiefs running back Larry Johnson. Last season it was Andre Smith, the Bengals' first-round draft pick. "Hard Knocks," with total access to agents and team management, chronicled both sides of each impasse.

Will Tannenbaum, who holds a Ph.D in Secrecy, allow similar access if things get sticky with Revis?

"I think he will," Greenburg said. "But you should know there were a lot of things left on the cutting room floor during that Larry Johnson negotiation. Things, between Johnson's agent and (former K.C. president/GM Carl) Peterson that were too sensitive. I think we'll get a taste of a Revis negotiation if it goes on, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Mike gets this done before training camp."

An NFL Films source said its "Hard Knocks" crew knows Jets reporters may be looking to pry some inside information out of them. "The crew is not permitted to talk to the media," the source said. "They are highly trained in keeping their mouths shut."

Yet, in the end, from a TV perspective, all this premature attention is good for business. Apparently there is a real anticipation and awareness of the show," Greenburg said. "And I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...a_ruckus_over_revis.html?page=1#ixzz0qjLAALs6

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ausing_a_ruckus_over_revis.html#ixzz0qjL54oRg

2. Freeman_McNeil#24

OK, I know this is a bump but I was bored and started searching through forums...usually post in the Jets/NFL forums.

Kelly=Dylan....90210 thing going on there??

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I started watching the bengals one after gettting hold of a copy - the problem I have is i am too much of a softie - i want all the guys to succeed especially the undrafted fringe players and i feel really bad for them when they get waived or injured - I kept finding myself looking up players I was seeing to find out if they made it with the bengals or some other team.