Harbaugh = Instant Credibility

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by KY Jets Fan, Nov 5, 2020.

?

Would you want Harbaugh?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Salary is irrelevant. Matt Rhule is the 6th highest paid NFL head coach and Jon Gruden is the 3rd highest paid coach. If there was a cap it'd be worth a bigger discussion but there's not.

It's true. The record versus top ten opponents is bad and it's a flaw. There's no denying it. But he's a good football coach and has been good everywhere he is. He's really 3-0 at turning football programs around from being basement dwellers including the 49ers miraculous turnaround. He's been so-so at Michigan as every else has been since the 70s minus Lloyd Carr's run from 1997-2003.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t need my HC to be sitting around the campfire singing kumbaya with the team. Not sure why anyone would care if the HC is an asshole or not.

The problem with Gase is not that he is an asshole it’s that he is an asshole that is horrible at coaching football.

Harbaugh may be an asshole but he can definitely coach football and that’s good enough for me.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't care about his college record. The college game is often more about recruiting than coaching. Michigan also has unrealistic expectations. they will never be an elite program again

salary is irrelevant for us because we aint paying it. The Johnsons will have to and its definitely not irrelevant to them. To land Harbaugh they would need to stop being so cheap. I have my doubts. We will probably get a coordinator

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree 100% and definitely on recruiting. I've posted it several times on here about him - they've out recruited Ohio State once in Harbaugh's tenure and twice in ten+ years. This is the first year Harbaugh has a QB he's actually recruited and they've also never had a top QB transfer.

The class that Harbaugh out recruited Ohio State are currently sophomores.

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

if this doesn't convince those two stooges that he is the right guy right now, they will never get it.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is what so many people don't get when they latch on to the media drivel about JH and how good of a job he's done this far.

He's done a lot for that program, he's a consistent winner, and he wins despite Michigan only being a middle of the pack recruiting program.

That's a very big deal when It comes to college football and despite only being that middle of the pack recruiting program, he finds a way to get Michigan to big games. Often contending and almost winning against power house programs like my Buckeye's.

I don't care about his personality. The guy Is a winner who instantly changes the culture of bad teams.

Why wouldn't people want that here?

Brook! likes this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

For everyone harping all over Jim Harbaugh despite a winning record @ Stanford of 29-21 (.580%), a winning record @ San Francisco of 44-19-1 (.695%) including 3 NFC Championship Games and 1 SB appearance throughout 4 seasons and yet again another winning record @ Michigan of 48-20 (.706%) for a combined winning record after 14 years of (head) coaching experience of 121-60-1 (.664%) and 12/14 winning seasons...

Would you Jet fans also like to apply that same exact type of COLLEGE CRITICISM and stick it where it belongs on Eric Bieniemy?

Because before KC (2018) he was a RB coach for 15 years with 4/5 different teams but before KC? He only had an opportunity to be an OC during two years... And he stunk!

• 2011 (OC) @ Colorado: 3-10 overall (.230%) and his offense ranked 109th out of 120 teams in scoring offense and 92nd out of 120 teams in offensive yardage.

2012 (OC) @ Colorado: 1-11 overall (.083%) and his offense ranked 120th out of 124 teams in scoring offense and 119th out of 124 teams in offensive yardage.

Anyone care to criticize him on an NCAA level after two years of Offensive Coordinator as a play caller?

Or does this only apply to JIM HARBAUGH?

With an overall combined record of 4-21 (.160%), an average offensive scoring ranking of 115th (out of 124 teams within the entire Country) and an average offensive yardage ranking of 105th (out of 124 teams) within the entire Nation?

And you guys think I'm going to let his crap fest OC ability slide as a former NFL RB bust and nothing more than a glorified RBs coach?

What? He was an absolute embarrassment without Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Travis Kelce, an A+ O-Line and true QB guru in ANDY REID as a play caller?

Giving Eric Bieniemy any type of "OC" credit is 10x worse than giving Adam Gase credit as OC for Peyton Manning breaking the All-Time NFL record for most TDs during a single season @ Denver...

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My 1st concern is can JH get along and work well with others. We have had 3 Assholes as coaches Groh, Mangini and Gase. The players staged a mutiny against Groh, Mangini went full pyscho mode at the end and Gase is worse than the other 2. I will say at least JH has a proven record as a coach unlike the other 3.
    Second can JH get along Douglas?

I think this Decision should be Douglas' decision. He should be able to hire someone he can respects and can work with. If he feels that is JH then great. But please keep the Johnsons far away from any coaching hire. I know that is too much to ask. We are Jets fans and therefore we cannot have nice things.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

You're a great college football fan for real man. You get it. You understand it's all about recruiting (instead of a draft). I figured OSU fans would tear Jim a new one due to a longtime rivalry; respect for your non agenda driven thoughts on Jim @ Michigan.

People don't realize that...

A.) Michigan only went 46-42 throughout 7 seasons before Jim arrived (.522%).

B.) Michigan hasn't won a National Championship Game since dating back to 1997 and before that? lol; 1948.

C.) But yet certain Jet fans want to act and pretend that Jim Harbaugh took over for some type of NCAA Powerhouse type of "Juggernaut".

D.) Michigan has gone 48-20 (.706%) throughout 6 seasons after Jim's arrival.

ala .706% (Jim's 6 years) vs. .522% (7 years before his arrival).

Expecting Michigan to keep up with your Ohio State Buckeyes FOOTBALL recruiting ability year in and year out would almost be like expecting UCF and USF to out recruit the likes of the Florida Gators, Miami Hurricanes and my FSU Seminoles down here in Florida on a year to year basis; it's not realistic (put UCF within the Powerhouse Conferences of the SEC/ACC and they wouldn't survive which is why they belong within their American Athletic Conference alongside the likes of USF, Memphis, Houston and Cincinnati etc).

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I NEVER thought Kotite would look better than any other coach, but I am now reconsidering that.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he's willing to work with Douglas, then I wouldn't be against it, but there's no way I would demote or fire Douglas to bring in JH and give him complete control.

IIMeanDeanII and Noam like this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Jets are demoting or firing a GM they just gave a 6 year contract to. The issue with Harbaugh in San Francisco was simple, Baalke had one excellent draft as a GM his first year afterwards he was not drafting quality players and it frustrated Harbaugh to no end.

Harbaugh wanted to have more say in who was selected he didn’t want to be the GM, however Baalke wanted to keep the roles exactly how they were, Baalke drafts and Harbaugh coaches that’s it.

From what I understand and have read about JD, he encourages his scouts and his HC to convince him of why a player should be selected but they still have to use his criteria for such a player.

I don’t remember where I saw his criteria but he has a points system he uses to grade players.

Personally I would love it if Harbaugh would become HC of Jets, and under JD and his philosophy I believe Harbaugh would thrive since he would be able to have a say to a degree as to who and why a player should be taken.

Truthfully, I don’t think he is leaving Michigan.

Link below takes you to Joe Douglas new grading system and how his philosophy is inclusive of CS input on players.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200407-lo6l56dqjnesndljbhvs6wlani-story.html

#152 Red Menace, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well said and you're correct on everything that you just touched basis on.

You'd have to be a damn fool of a Jets fan if you truly want to put Trevor Lawrence in the hands of a former bust NFL RB & glorified 15 year RB coach in Eric freaking Bieniemy...

Instead of a true offensive minded and QB driven Jim Harbaugh; who played the QB position himself on an NFL level for 14 years and even led his Baltimore Colts to an AFC Championship Game and 1 play away from the SB..

Not only did Jim Harbaugh coach up and develop a younger true Freshman/Sophomore in Andrew Luck into the greatest QB prospect to declare since dating back to John Elway and Peyton Manning @ Stanford and even went 12-1 alongside of Luck during his Sophomore season (before bolting for the NFL)...

But many Jet fans seem to forget how Jim Harbaugh (also) completely saved Alex Smith's NFL career and immediately turned him from a former 1st overall career loser of an NFL bust into an awesome NFL QB (immediately, too).

Alex Smith from 2005-2010 (before Jim):
    50 starts (5 years/4 seasons).
    0 winning season.
    19-31 losing record (.380%).
    864/1,514 (57.1%).
    9,399 passing yards.
    6.2 yards per pass attempt.
    51 TDs/53 INTs (-0.96 TD to INT Ratio).
    QB Rating of 72.1.

Vs....

Alex Smith from 2011-2012 (alongside Jim):
    25 starts (2 seasons).
    2 winning seasons.
    19-5-1 winning record (.760%).
    426/663 (64.3%).
    4,881 passing yards.
    7.4 yards per pass attempt.
    30 TDs/10 INT's (+3.0 TD to INT Ratio).
    QB Rating of 95.1.

Which is something that's not talked about nearly enough or even acknowledged from Jet fans (for some reason).

You know what else isn't discussed enough about Jim Harbaugh and his QB ability? How immediately following Jim's departure from San Francisco (kid Kaep just couldn't win without his head coach anymore).

Colin Kaepernick from 2011-2014 (Alongside Jim).
    48 games/39 starts.
    25-14 winning record (.641%).
    671/1,117 (60.1%).
    8,415 passing yards.
    7.5 yards per pass attempt.
    50 TDs/21 INT's (+2.38 TD to INT Ratio).
    261 rushing attempts.
    1,576 rushing yards (6.0 yards per carry).
    10 rushing TDs.
    QB Rating of 90.6.

vs...

Colin Kaepernick from 2015-2016 (Post/After Jim):
    21 games/19 starts.
    3-16 losing record (.157%).
    340/575 (59.1%).
    3,856 passing yards.
    6.7 yards per pass attempt.
    22 TDs/9 INT's (+2.4 TD to INT Ratio).
    114 rushing attempts.
    724 rushing yards (6.4 yards per carry).
    3 rushing TDs.
    QB Rating of 85.5

Kaep/Alex (combined) without Jim:
    Losing Record of 22-47 (.318%).

I rest my case.

Any Jet fan who would pick a glorified RB coach in Bieniemy, and trust him enough to coach up and develop Trevor Lawrence instead of a true QB driven Harbaugh; is absolutely nuts.

#153 DefenseWinsChampionships, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    hobgoblin likes this.
  14. Michigan has not caught on that brands like their’s dont need to be dictated by geographrical restrictions in recruiting. They’re too caught up in winning their backyard & going head to head for midwest guys against OSU.When they dont even need to.A Michigan prototypical player/recruit looks nothing like a Buckeye or even a Spartan. They’d be so much better off expanding their recruiting base much more nationally & simply targetting their guys. They star chase & pay too much attention to the lemming report.

OSU caught on to this a long time ago.Even Michigan state under Tucker has started recruiting different areas of country.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I still have a hard time blaming all this on Gase. He COULD suck, but I really don't know.

In 2019, Gase's first season with the Jets, we had over half our starters out on IR (more than any other team). We were already a weak team and losing so many starters really sucked. And then we lost Sam for 3+ weeks/games to Mono, probably more. Even with all the setbacks, the team loved Gase, continued to play hard for him, and rattled off 6 wins to end the season. Based on all the hardships, I can't really say Gase is good OR bad. I really can't.

0-9 to start the 2020 season should be a slam dunk that Gase sucks. And again, maybe Gase DOES suck. But here we go again. We're going into our bye week in week 10 and we STILL don't have our starters playing in the same game. We got our WRs back for the FIRST TIME in game 9, and we actually looked like a team (finally). But our starting QB was out, our top defender Q was out, our other top defender Adams was traded, and our other top defender CJ Mosley opted out of the entire season. Our star new LT, Becton was out too, but again, with the return of our weapons, we looked like a team for the first time this season. When we get Sam, Becton, and Q back, how will we look? THIS IS WHEN I WILL JUDGE ADAM GASE, over the last 7 games of the season, with our team playing at full strength. You know what else sucked? Having NO Training Camp, no pre-season games (very important for a brand new offensive line that had never played ONE snap together prior to the start of the season), no team meetings other than over ZOOM, no players allowed in the buildings, etc. That's a good excuse for the 1st half of the season, so lets see how we play NOW that they've all played together (at least they'll have a chance to PRACTICE for the first time together over the bye).

It's gonna go one of two ways. Gase DOES suck and even with a healthy team, we get blown out. Or Gase really IS a genius and our team rattles off a bunch of very impressive wins to close out the season (and Sam looked fantastic doing it).

Problem I have with ppl on here telling me Gase sucks, is these are the same ppl that were mad when we didn't hire McCarthy. The same McCarthy that went to Dallas and is about to be fired (or drawn and quartered by his own players). I have a feeling if we HAD hired McCarthy instead of Gase, we'd be demanding McCarthy be fired and Gase's name would be on our short list of new HCs.

Change my mind.

16. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'm in on Harbaugh but two things give me pause

1. He gets credit for turning SF around but he had a great staff with him and I think he'd need to bring a great staff with him here to be as effective.

2. It should be up to JD to hire him or not. By all accounts Harbaugh is a TOUGH guy to work with/be around as mentioned in every thread on him. The Johnson's forcing Harbaugh and JD into an awkward marriage would be the most Jets like move they could make. the last decade has been GMs and HCs being on two different timelines and pages.
    If JD and JH legitimately want to work together and make it work that's a great combo to turn this around.

17. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Maybe but in that alternate reality we'd still be wrong. Gase has been a head coach for what 4, 5 years now? No one should even need to convince you. If you're not sure whether he's a good or bad coach by now there's nothing anyone can tell you. The proof is in the pudding as they say

K'OB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So what if I wanted McCarthy and he didn't work out in Dallas? Let's assume for a moment that McCarthy DOES suck, how does that make Gase NOT suck? IOW, they are not mutually exclusive. I don't follow Dallas so I have no idea what happened there, but maybe it just wasn't the right fit, or maybe McCarthy actually sucks. If the latter, then okay I was wrong to want him, but that still doesn't mean Gase isn't a shitty coach. You want to know how I know? I used my own two eyes and watched him since he's been here. Rather than try and beat you senseless with statistics (I'll leave that to DWC), I'll just say, "Use your own two eyes and common sense". I know you're a very knowledgeable football fan, so I'm surprised that this is even a question for you. If you even casually look at Gase's record he's a PROVEN multiple team loser, and his "genius" offenses consistently rank in the bottom of the league across multiple teams with the only exception being when he had a HF QB changing the plays at the line.

Maybe you're just playing devil's advocate, but if not, I suggest you take another look at things.

K'OB and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  19. Footballgod214

I weigh his time coaching the Jets above his time elsewhere. Saying he's been a HC 5 yrs is cool and all, but he's only coached here a yr and a half. Different teams, different owners, players, situations, etc.

20. Footballgod214

What that means is if we had listened to you, we'd have McCarthy about to get fired and Gase (or some other genius) about to be hired.