Hack 'journalism' was taken to a new level today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotsJet, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Gary Myers' piece in the Daily News (which I'm not linking to, because he doesn't deserve the attention) today is possibly the single worst piece of writing I've seen in all the years I've been following this sport.

From the start it's apparent that he had the article written months ago with space to fill in the appropriate statistics as soon as Sanchez and Tebow had 'poor' numbers on the same day. That's beyond bad; that's pathetic.

What is it about some of the writers in this town that makes them so desperate to spread doom and despair and predictions of failure? They want to revel in misfortune and mistakes and abandon reason for their own prejudices and engrained opinions. Are there people out there who like to read this stuff?

It's not even like you can say he's just commenting on what happens at camp, because he had nothing to say when Sanchez had a couple of solid days to start out with and he'll have nothing to say the next time he has good numbers. But this one day is a clear predictor of how the season will go?

Laughable.

If you're tempted to read the column, don't. Just use the time to do something else instead. You'll be glad you did.

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even type his name. Much like Dickchim, don't give him the internet presence at all.

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I read this piece as well and thought it was poor journalism. Myers was talking about how trying to run a two-QB system doesn't work and even cited the ridiculous experiment in Dallas when Landry once rotated his two QBs play-by-play.

Only a complete idiot, or someone who just wants to write his piece and ignore the facts, doesn't see that the quarterback job belongs to Mark Sanchez. Tebow is a back-up. The fact that he can be effective as a wild cat QB does not mean the Jets are running a two-QB system.

It was, as ScotsJet said, a bollocks article.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Basing off the above post, journalists are extending the true meaning of a "2-QB system". In football terms I believe the 2 QB system is used in college football where QB's will be subbed in and out of games based on how well they are playing.

What the Jets are planning to do will use 2 QB's but one of them will be running the Wildcat like Brad Smith is. While technically it is using 2 QB's the reality is that the actual use of the 2 QB's does not fit the idea of the 2 QB ststem.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When I read the piece (of crap) I thought, hey, don't most teams have multiple QBs playing at the same time?

By that I mean many college QBs get into the NFL with a QB dream but have to play a different position. But in their minds, they are QBs and hope some day to be starting in the NFL.

Take Brad Smith. He was a very good college QB but drafted by the Jets to play wide receiver. Then the Wildcat came along and Brad go to actually toss the rock a few times.

I'm sure the same situation is on every NFL team. So why does it have to be so different with Tebow, other than some sport writer trying to make a name for himself?

6. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

7. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

He does not need to say anything when Sanchez has a couple of "solid training camp" days. He is your starting QB, he is making 22M this season. He is SUPPOSED to have "SOLID" days EVERY DAY.

Now if he had FANTASTIC days, that might be something to write about, but why write about a "solid" performance. That is kind of like people bragging that they have never been to jail. You ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO GO TO JAIL MAN.

An NFL starting QB in New York falls under extreme scrutiny. He is expected to perform at a high level 95% of the time with rare occasions where he is off his game. Sanchez has been 50/50 since signing with the Jets. Fans never know what Sanchez they are going to get from game to game because he has not been consistently good. Granted, I do not feel he has been consistently bad either.

He has a new OC, and someone barking at his heals to perform to a higher standard(Fans, Tebow, new OC, Rex). Let us see how he does this season. If he falters, time to cut the cord. If he excels(which he better) then good luck in the playoffs.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

That wasn't the point I was making. The point is that the article was clearly pre-prepared to be used as soon as the QBs had a bad 'stats' day.

I don't want to see articles charting every practice. Equally, one bad day in practice out of three cannot be held up as indicative of anything.

9. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

I agree with that and I am sorry if I missed your over-all point in the OP.

Being a die-hard Patriots fan, I find it difficult to even fathom anything good coming out of Sanchez but my gut tells me this is his year.

I think the Jets over-all offensive scheme will be tricky this year. I think we will see both Sanchez and Tebow on the field a lot and that will cause mayhem in the defensive backfields. Imagine all the defensive/Offensive audibles being called to counter what the Jets are doing.

Tebow will line up as RB and take some snaps sometimes, while other times, he will be used as a RB. When the defensive line thinks run, and they get in formation that way, I can see Mark airing it out. The dude does have a good arm but many people forget that because of his poor decisions of the past.

With Tebow pushing Sanchez, I think he will thrive, add to that the new OC and the sense of urgency on his part to succeed in order to avoid the Tebowmania hype, and Sanchez will do one of two things.

He will step up and become the leader and QB the Jets need to make a big push in the playoffs

or

He will fall to the pressure, be replaced by week 6, and be booed out of New York.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Actually the whole idea to bring new OC was to make schemes less tricky.

11. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

What, exactly, is incorrect with the facts that Myers presented to support his opinion? I read his column (you can read it here yourself: Myers and found it to be rational and fairly well written.

You may NOT like what he had to say, but his views aren't outlandish or unsupportable. There is considerable skepticism outside of the Jets faithful that:
    • either Sanchez or Tebow is good enough to be a starting NFL QB
    • Ryan's two QB system will work
    • the "ground and pound" is viable in 2012, especially for the Jets

12. Really dude.

Just like Myers your act is getting old. We get it...you don't like Sanchez. You want him to fail the same way trent Edwards did b/c in your warped mind..they are similar QB's. Nothing would be more agonizing to you than Sanchez becomming a true franchise QB while Trent Edwards tries out for the Arizona Rattlers.

13. Ted

Ted Member

Sorry guys but if you are this sensitive to a reporters opinion, imagine how bad it gets if Sanchez does not perform well to open the season. Either you need to learn to ignore what the media is saying or prepare yourselves for an insanity check if things go south.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Well, the two years the Jets ran the ball among the top 3 in attempts in the league, they made the AFC Championship game. With Sanchez. So it's not outlandish that the Jets could be a run-first team and could win with Sanchez. The biggest question is the offensive line (which only really changed one player from the 2010 line).

Nobody knows how Tebow will be used. Everything the Jets say is that Mark Sanchez will be the starting quarterback. They gave him more money in the offseason to help confirm that. Tebow will have his packages, but he's getting 25 touches a game like Derrick Mason is catching 100 passes: it's not happening.

There is no 1 and 1A. Sanchez is 1 and Tebow is a slash 2. He'll have a few packages here and there, but if this is a 2 QB system, then it was a 2 QB system when Brad Smith ran it. The only difference is that when Smith made the NFL, he officially changed his position to WR whereas Tebow is still listed as a QB.

15. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Tebow is also getting reps as a QB with the second unit, so it's NOT that he's "still listed as a QB", he is the second QB.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Right. All that means is if Sanchez got hurt, Tebow would start at QB full-time. He's an upgrade to Smith in the Wildcat package, which both Sparano and Rex want to run. My point is if he were listed at WR and named Brad Smith or anything other than Tebow, no one would talk about the Jets running a 2 qb system.

And if you technically want to call it that anyway, well, it worked in the past aiding the offense, so hopefully it does again this year.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

If Tebow starts at Qb, the season is doomed.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

You billlies/fishies fans can try to rationalize it all you want, but the fact remains that the Jets are not employing a 2-QB system with Sanchez/Tebow any more than the billies are with Fitz/Brad Smith or than the fishies did with Penny(or Henne, or Moore, or whomever)/Brown.

And, because it isn't some experimental 2-QB system, the article is nothing more than a hackjob.

19. NJGREEN

NJGREEN New Member

Thread title is classic With all the hate aimed at us, it can only mean something special's about to happen this year, that's all I'm gonna say...

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Don't even agree 100%. I know Tebow didn't play very well, but when he started playing for Denver, they started winning. The Jets have a better defense than Denver's, hands down, and Tebow has another year of experience in the NFL at this point.

Obviously, I don't want Tebow to start every day. But it's not as if Mark Brunell is our backup QB at this point. Tebow is a strange backup to have, but he's better than a lot of the other backups out there.

If Tebow could play a style of football where he rarely turned the ball over and controlled time of possession with the running game, the Jets could absolutely win with that style of football. I'm not sure what the ceiling is for that team, I highly doubt it's the Super Bowl, but the Jets could make the playoffs with Tebow starting at QB for 16 games, I certainly believe that.