Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Except who the hell wants this guy for more than a year? I don’t like option 3 at all. At this point Reddick has lost all good faith options. My opinion is both sides should hold their noses and get through this season. Reddick can decide how much money he wants to lose this year holding out. I don’t think JD ever wanted more than this year out of him anyway.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I really don't know specifics, but I'd be very surprised if this is some kind of unique occurrence. There are two parties involved here and deciding blame from a distance makes no sense to me.

mezzavo likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Exactly why I'm not prepared to point the finger at one and not the other.

4. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts - (i) he owes a lot more than $2 million in fines - he missed all of training camp at $50k/day, he also missed three preseason games and each of those result in forfeiture of 1/18th of his salary for the year (so 3/18th of his salary), and he can also forfeit a pro-rata portion of the signing bonus allocated to this year and he had about $5 million of signing bonus allocated to this year, and (ii) I think he has to join the Jets before game 6 or his contract tolls. I would be surprised if the Jets would offer him much more once he returns - maybe something like he gets one missed game check back if he hits 10 sacks on the year. Joe has to make an example out of him or else the young players he has will cause him all kinds of problems in the future with holdouts.

5. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Not if he is gone in January after another terrific season.

6. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

I've seen conflicting numbers on there amount of fines owed. If it is as you say he has just screwed himself over even more.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

At this point Douglas and the Jets do need to just tell him to go fuck himself. His career is in bad shape regardless of what happens now. No one is coming in and having a good season as a speed rusher at 31 who relies almost solely on athleticism (and hand fighting secondary).

Nice use of a 3rd round draft pick.

Brook!, dmw, mattyd99 and 2 others like this.
  8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

See, this is where I'm at. It's a very simple equation. You STILL have nearly $15 million on the table! Jesus!!! More money than 99.9% of us will make in a LIFETIME! All you have to do is drag your butt into the building, practice a little and suit up and hit/sack the damn QB! IF....seriously....IF he can do this then he places the ball BACK into JD's court! Let the FANS speak for you! If Reddick can come in and start stompin' on someone's ass then the team...the fans will be clamoring for an extension! At the very least he puts down, on "tape," that he is still viable and, believe me, someone will give him that last big one.

A. He'll show he's the "bigger" man by coming in and playing on his existing contract
    B. As I stated, it gets him out from under the microscope by performing.

NO ONE... Not the Jets, not nobody is going to cut that guy a contract for $25 million per until he comes in and starts wreaking havoc! If he doesn't show up it could be the end of his career. Or, at the very least, the end of any type of massive contract.

AtlantaJet likes this.
  9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I wonder if Revis has any regrets. Obviously he doesn't care about ONE fan's opinion, but my personal opinion of him fell from "Top three favorite athlete ever" to "Great player with possible hole where soul normally is."

How do the extra millions weigh against the fans' opinion of your legacy? How does that balance change as you get older? I wonder.

mezzavo likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

As much as I’d love to say I’m sure he wishes he had a better legacy with Jets fans, I’m sure he couldn’t give a fuck what we think. He’s still a HOFer with more money than all of us.

REVISion, Lon Chaney and mezzavo like this.
  11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You know, I'm not sure I ever gave it much conscious thought until you mentioned it. Now, I know I've thought about it a few times over the years. Wondering if squeezing that extra million bucks out of a team or leaving a contender to get a "bag" with an also ran with no hope of a SB for years was worth it. I mean, isn't that the goal? The SB. Look, I get it. Millions of dollars are on the line but if you've already scored tens of millions or even hundreds, does one or two more make a difference? A Top legacy in a good football town is almost a salary unto itself later on down the years. Seriously, if Wayne Chrebet walked into a New York/Jersey establishment you tell me who wouldn't give that guy a free meal etc...?

Then again...

You're right. It's millions of dollars. Although, I'd like to think there are quite a few who would be concerned about their legacy. Obviously not a guy like Revis, though. Unfortunately, that dude was all mercenary. Maybe the legacy thing is more an "old timer's" thing. These days it's all about the "bag."

Stevied likes this.
  12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

The whole point is: when you're young, of course your priorities are a certain way. Get money. Fuck bitches.

But... when you're older, do you regret it? Of course Revis has more money than I'll ever have. Does that REALLY mean he doesn't care what people think? He only cares about opinions of people with money? When he's 65, he's going to be thinking, "Fuck the fans. They're all poor. I don't care about them." Really?

There are certain athletes, people are going to be going up to them when they're old men: "I love the way you played the game. I tell my kids about your approach to the game."

It seems to me that if I already had as much money as I could ever want, hearing this from strangers would be worth a great deal. But that's just me.

mezzavo and LAJet like this.
  13. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Considering he randomly goes off on fellow jets who minorly slight him (Klecko, Cromartie, etc) I wonder how much regard he has for what the fans think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I mean there’s a reason people called him Mevis….

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There is another option. He gets traded by the Jets to a team more interested in negotiating, which is probably why he has requested a trade

16. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Apparently 9/4 is a big date. If he doesn't report by then, this is very likely to go at least past week 2. Not sure why this guy thinks he has any leverage.

mezzavo and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Short of a 2024 raise and guarantee (maybe a 2nd year added if reasonable and with an easy out w/o much guaranteed), let him potentially ruin his career over this if he wants to. We have too many more important cornerstones to sign in the years ahead than to give this guy north of 20mil beyond this year. If he sits out much of this year and his likelihood of getting the deal he wants next year will only go down. The dude is in or past the prime of his career, not an ascending talent in their mid 20s.

mezzavo, REVISion, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

I’ve always wondered that about QB’s to be honest. Less so position players because their shelf life is so short.

I’m surprised no one has tried Brady’s approach. Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Peyton. They were all always in pretty good position to win SB’s with unbelievably high career earnings. I’m surprised we haven’t seen one of them as they get to 38, 39 and older take a vet minimum salary and let their team go sign 2 stud receivers and a big time back.

Not saying they should and I begrudge no one for making as much money as they can but I’m surprised we haven’t seen it. When you’re worth $400+ million, is one more SB victory worth maybe a big paycut to $10 million rather than $45 million at the end of their careers?

19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

It's an interesting thought--Brady of course took an undervalued contract his last couple years in New England and AR gave back some monies.

But if a QB took the vet minimum, that probably would be viewed as anti-competitive IMO and some form of rule would be made that reduced the salary cap accordingly by his true market value.

mezzavo and stinkyB like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

49ers coming to terms now with their hold out Trent Williams

He will play against us Monday night, goody

I guess there’s another way to operate than what we see here

mezzavo and HomeoftheJets like this.