Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

So now JD knew that Reddick was going to hold out and it was all part of his master plan. Suuure. Got it. WTF are some of you on here smoking?

That's the biggest horseshit slinging since the Belmont.

BradysTornACL, stinkyB, Borat and 2 others like this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

So just to be clear, Reddick was threatening to hold out in PHI. He CLEARLY wants a long term deal. But suddenly because the Jets traded for him you think Joe’s expectation was that he’d just like us better and come to camp? Of course Joe knew he’d very likely hold out, and just stood pat saying he’d be happy to negotiate when he shows. I’m sure he knew Reddick wouldn’t show. But here’s the reality, Reddick’s option is to show up and play his best. That’s his only option unless you really think tanking his career and costing himself 15m is really or was really ever an option. Whatever the final mandatory day is that Reddick needs to be here, he’ll be here. And JD will have a cigar in his mouth and his feet on the desk making it clear that now Reddick is our bitch for the remainder of the season. And yeah, I think JD figured that’s exactly how it was gonna go all along.

3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Remember that the jets have a whole bunch of players on either 1 year deals or the last year of their deals that should be highly sought besides Reddick - Mike Williams. T Smith, M Moses, Conklin, DJ Reed, Michael Carter, Leki Fotu, Kinlaw, Thomas, Eccles, etc. I believe that JD's strategy here is to start playing the draft comp pick system. I don't anticipate them getting a lot of new free agents from other teams next year (though they might keep some of these players). I think the most comp picks you can get is 4, but with these players signing contracts elsewhere, the Jets could end up with 4 additional picks in 2026, including potentially 4 3rd round picks to make up for the one they gave up for Reddick.

4. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Whoson Reddick??? LOL

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No he didn’t. There’s like reports everywhere that the Jets tried to secure Reddick up long term and couldn’t. That makes your theory very wrong

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Your whole premise that Douglas was somehow playing 3D chess, banking on a 3rd round comp pick that’s very difficult to get because you can’t sign any free agents, and being OK with not having the player til after October is simply ludicrous.

And if Douglas really planned it like this, he’s an idiot.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't think he planned on Reddick holding out, but I'm pretty sure he took the possibility of acquiring a 2026 comp pick into account. He probably had a good idea which guys he wants to resign and who he wants to let go.

Another poster pointed out the pending FAs including Smith, Reddick and Williams who all can receive big contracts.

Comp picks are not an exact science obviously but if be surprised if JD didn't at least factor it into his decision.

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

No team has ever gotten four third round comp picks.

Only players that sign top of the market deals as UFA will net their previous team a third round pick.

If Reddick doesn’t play and play well, he’s not getting a top of the line deal.

ouchy likes this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s 3d chess at all. It’s a disgruntled player that is stuck with his situation. We’re gambling that no matter how angry he is, we think he’s going to show up and play out his current contract because he has no choice. Chances are he signs by 9/3. If not, we can do this again next year. If we make the playoffs then Reddick will deal with JD again. If not, it’ll be a new GM telling Reddick to fuck off.

dmw likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As far as I can see Douglas and the Jets hold all the cards. Reddick either shows up and plays or sits and gets fined and see his value drop even more. The only thing Haason is doing is Haasoning the end of his career.

I'm curious to know what JD's thinking was with him, but of course we'll never know. I hope Reddick comes to his senses and shows up plays hard, even if it's only to audition for another team.

Lon Chaney, tomdeb, mezzavo and 4 others like this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Nice to see your post. Please drop by more often.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So you’re saying he doesn’t care because Douglas essentially has to produce results this year or he’s gone? If that’s the case, why wouldn’t he just give Reddick the desired extension since it’s not really his problem next year or beyond regardless?

Reddick missing all of camp is bad for the player and in turn bad for the Jets. He’s a month behind even if he reports and I’d guess some sort of data analytics say he’s more susceptible to injury.

If it’s truly this gamble, you try that with a 6th round pick, not a 3rd.

And toss any comp pick discussion out. There’s just no way that was some sort of justification since it’s pretty difficult to get. Everyone said he was playing the comp pick game years ago with the Pierre Desir’s of the world and none of it really worked out.

No GM says I’ll trade the pick now and get the same comp pick back later.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Anyone have a Vegas betting line on him pulling a hammy?

14. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Since today is roster cutdown day, does that mean we have to hold a roster spot for him?

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Can't they put him on non-football related IR or something?

Edit: Looks like Reserve/DNR list

Reserve/Did Not Report (left team): Players who have left their team or stopped playing NFL football but have yet to submit retirement papers. This player does not count against a team's roster limit or its salary cap. This offseason, the Baltimore Ravens placed undrafted rookie receiver Devon Williams on this list when he did not show up for training camp. Williams was reinstated days later before ultimately being released.

What classifies as a roster exemption?
    A player with a roster exemption does not count toward the teams Active/Inactive List (53-man roster). A few notable examples of roster exemptions:

• A player who received but has not signed the Transition or Franchise Tag.
    • A player under contract who fails to report at least five days prior to the team's final day of training camp. Such a player will not be paid until the exemption is removed.

So, I guess we are past the window of bolded above.

#435 GQMartin, Aug 27, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2024
    mezzavo and Jets OG fan like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its almost impossible to bank what comp picks you'll get. It comes down to 4 main things:

1. Did you lose more qualified talent than you signed?
    2. Did the qualified FAs you lost sign for more than the FAs you signed?
    3. Did the FA's lost get a top 32 contract amongst FAs that offseason?
    4. Playtime and awards are a sliding factor that determine position.

When all circumstances are met you get a pick, which is determined by the differences in #2, and placement of #3 and #4.

No matter how it works out with us Reddick is going to get a large contract next year, barring major injury. So contract wise he will qualify, likely for a 3rd. (You have to sign a top 5% contract in the league that offseason to get a 3rd).
    Mike Williams worth will be more on a bubble, if he makes the top 32, maybe valued at a 6th or 7th?
    Smith might be a little more valuable, maybe a 5th or 6th. (He returned a 5th this year).

Again, all of this depends on them staying healthy, having a productive year, and getting a top 32 contract. Then we have to factor in who we sign next offseason (we wont have much money so it probably wont be much. But we likely cancel out at least one). For example, Huff signed for 17 million a year and would have gotten us a 4th. But we cancelled him out by signing Mike Williams.

There are also playtime factors (percentage of snaps), and awards that factor in. Finally we have to see how many FA signings are made around the league to see where we fall. We have no chance of getting more than one 3rd, maybe not even one.

The holdout could effect what compensation we get for Reddick. If his percentage of our overall snaps is to low he could drop to a 4th or lower, even with a huge contract. If he never reports, it could be as low as a 6th, or nothing at all.

#436 ouchy, Aug 27, 2024
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

JD is calling his bluff and if he decides to show up, who knows if 1) he will be a good team mate or 2) a malcontentand that is a distraction.

For me (only) trust is important and if you give your word then you should have the intergrity to comit to it. If someone I hired all of a sudden breaks his contract, he or she would be gone..or in the case, I would not negotiate in good faith and hold him to his contract or the offer we started with but NO more.

Frankly, he doesn't GAS about the NYJ. so I say, Fk him he is a dirtbag.... let the penalities pile up and do not, under any circumstance, pay the fines....

mezzavo likes this.
  18. JetsNation06

Are you really going to double down on your stupidity? No one in their right mind would ever back your dopey claim. Speaking of cigars, you need to take Joe Douglas' cigar out of your mouth long enough to see the forest from the trees. So now you're saying Reddick will report by Week 1. What happened to your stance from the other day that the Jets only need Reddick once they make the playoffs? Way to move the goalposts. You're in the vast minority on this one.

#438 JetsNation06, Aug 27, 2024
  19. JetsNation06

A good GM signs impact players. A bad GM trades for a player and doesn't even have a contract worked out before doing so. JD bottom of the league GM material and has been for a long time now. The team's results on the field prove it out.

20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Every year I have my group of Jets sunshiners in my face talking playoff glory, and I just roll my eyes.

But THIS year?

If you are looking at this 2024 Jets roster and not seeing a team overflowing with talent at basically every position group, I just don't know what to tell you. How can you be looking at this team right now and excoriating the GM? It's so weird to me. I'm not even judging. I'm just confused.

SOJAZ, mezzavo, NOVAJET and 2 others like this.