Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Let him sit out the season at this point. I honestly don't care. He was a luxury pick up anyways.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Eh he really wasn't. You lost your 10+ sack guy in Huff, JFM is gone, Q Jefferson is gone. You are now depending on a player in WMD who barely played last year. I do think he will be fine in the Huff role, but Reddick takes this defense from being top 10 to top 3-5. Reddick is ELITE.

ouchy likes this.
  3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Not sure it was a luxury pick, we let 20 sacks walk out the door this off-season. I like Will McD and I think he can fill the Huff role but JJ needs someone on the other side that can rush and stop the run. Reddick has 4 consecutive double digit sacks and is a year removed from 1st team all pro. We definitely could use him, more necessary than luxury imo.

ouchy likes this.
  4. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Disagree. The defense is top 5 without him, arguably #1-2 with him. I'm not worried at all. He's got no leverage here. Sitting will only screw his career. I think WMD is fine to replace Huff. The defense is the LEAST of my concerns with this team. It's all about the offense this year. D is good enough.

5. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Jets should have known that Reddick wanted a new deal when they traded for him. Is his ask unreasonable ? That I do not know, but it was clear as day that the only reason he was traded was that Philly did not want to renegotiate.

Just get the two sides to sit down and find a fair number.

Jets were not blindsided by this.

ouchy likes this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I do agree that the D will be very good with or without Reddick…however, I also think we really DO need him. So if McD can fill the Huff role (and that’s yet to be proven but it’s not out of the realm of possibility), the issue is who will fill JFM’s role as the starter? Can McD play full time? Is Clemons good enough to start? JFM had his issues with untimely penalties but he was a pretty good player too. Maybe that DE role is filled by a combo of McD, Clemons, and one or two of the younger undrafted kids we have in camp?

Again, we have enough talent on D with Q and JJ on the DL, Mosely and Quincy at LB, and Sauce and Reed at CB that we will be top ten on D regardless, but we need that constant pressure that Reddick would really help bring.

In the end, the player has no leverage like has been said already…he either plays or he sits, and sitting at his age and contract status is not really an option for him. He’ll show up at some point. In the end, I think the Jets will do something with his deal, whether it means adding some incentive money to get his total up a bit, or adding an extra year, something…they knew he had an issue and they traded for him anyway so I’m assuming the intent was to sweeten the deal all along. He’s just going about it the wrong way, and hopefully he comes around

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm very much in agreement with your take. I'll like to add the following
    1- I see a couple of jewels growing into their role as interior lineman. I think inside we might be better than last year. This will free the edges even more
    2 - Clemons and McD can hold the fort, but Reddick would absolutely take this D over the top. Having said that, we should not cave in. Negotiate something reasonable if he shows up and commits. We can blame JD all you want for being naive, but Reddick did not act in good faith period. Let him sit, pay fines util he sees the light. If he sits this year the only money he might see is from Philly and pay fines with it.

Jets79, Lon Chaney and JetFanInNE like this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Reddick is not a run stopper.

He is a full tilt, go get the QB, pass rusher (which is exceptional at) but that's it.

RochesterJet likes this.
  9. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

This defense will not be as good as some of you think if they can't get to the passer.

Zone defenses with no pass rush get picked apart as eventually someone gets open.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Reddicks camp know this and probably why they decided to take a hard stance... He's supposed to be the guy that makes up for letting the others walk out the door and he knows it. JD fuct this up seriously...

mattyd99 likes this.
  11. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I like we called his bluff. There is blame on both sides .

REVISion, Jets79 and Lon Chaney like this.
  12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

He is going to show up eventually.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

When we traded for him we only became responsible for his base salary. The eagles still had to pay his bonuses, which they stretched out over several years.

Regarding the holdout. ATM Riddick is on the same deal that he had with the eagles, which means he only hits our cap for 750,000, with nearly 15 million pushed into next year. We currently have 19 million. JD probably wanted to keep it that way for this season because even just paying him in full would leave us with about 4 million. But Riddick wants an average of 25 million a year, and likely wanted more than just the 15 million this season. Basically, we cant afford giving him a new contract, and this should have been recognized during the trade negotiations.

Lets look at this reasonable. So here's where we are:

-Riddick wants 25 million a year.
    -It was reported that we did make him an offer, higher than the 15 million he was due, and he refused it. So we probably offered something like 2 years 35/40 million. But again, he wants at least 25 million a year.
    -We could probably secure him for just this year offering 20ish million, but we only have 19 million available. So we'd have to rework contracts and borrow more from next year, which is already mortgaged to the hilt.
    -Riddick is considered a top 5 pass rusher and he will get paid by someone next year, even if he skips the year. He doesn't play a skill position. IMO we have more to lose than he does, and even pushing money forward (which it doesn't sound like he wants) we still cant really afford him. Our cap is to tight and trading for one of the most expensive pass rushers with our cap was a dumb fantasy. I think JD thought he could get away with offering him a contract that didn't pay huge until 2027, similar to what he did with Arod. That ain't flying.

At thus point we don't have a good option. Letting him sit could save us the 15 million we'd owe him next year. But that's it, and it would cost us a high pick for no on field return.
    If we trade him we could also save that 15 million and get picks back, and dump the drama this is creating. Trading is probably a better solution. Except JD has already made a big statement about no trade. We literally paid a high pick to take on the exact problem the eagles were facing, minus the trade option. LOL!

I dunno, maybe we can eventually talk him into playing this year for 18 million or something. But there seems to be enough bad blood building that it would be best to jettison the guy ASAP.

#233 ouchy, Aug 13, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
    mezzavo likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We luxuriously gave up a 3rd rounder.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Joe Douglas would have less than zero leverage in trade talks. He wouldn't even get a third round pick during a wet dream much less a second.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Ross Tucker's take makes sense. The last paragraph is pretty damning. We didn't seriously think he was going to play on his current deal when we traded for him.

“And at this point, it’s pretty clear there was a miscommunication, right? You know, when you hear from people that clearly are getting the information from Reddick’s camp, they say that the Jets promised they would give him a new deal. When you hear from people that are clearly getting the information from the Jets camp, they say they were told he’d be willing to play this year out on his original contract.

“So somebody’s lying, or there was some type of miscommunication.

“The only thing I would say about that is it makes absolutely no sense that he would play out the final year of his deal for the Jets – if he wasn’t willing to do that in Philadelphia, where he’s from, where they have a really good team – why would he be willing to do that with the Jets? So I’m not – I don’t know about the miscommunication. I don’t know who’s lying or not, or maybe it’s just, you know, like I said they’re not on the same page. But logically. It makes absolutely no sense for him to be wanting to play for the Jets, on the same contract.”

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

1) Usually when a player with an expiring contract is traded... an extension is announced right away

2) Usually when a veteran pass rusher of Reddick's ilk is traded, it isn't for a 3rd round pick... 2 years into the future.

This whole thing has been outside of standard OP.

I think Douglas probably figured there was a risk Reddick wouldn't show but since he wasn't giving up much (2026 he's probably selling and eating hot dogs instead of Jets GM anyway) he was willing to give it a try. Reddick is just standing ground

mezzavo, Brook! and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If he "gambled" away draft picks, he should be fired on the spot. I doubt this is what happened, however.

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I love how the Jets just "thought" that Reddick would play this year without a deal lol That is beyond unacceptable, lazy and a fireable offense. Looking at you, Joe Douglas.

This is such typical Jets BS. You don't do the deal unless you're absolutely, positively 1000% sure that you have this guy's contract situation figured out. SOJ.

20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ take a Zoloft and relax. You really think Reddick is gonna tank his career and sit out this year? He has zero leverage, and frankly we don’t need him right now. We don’t need him opening day. Hell we don’t even need him mid season. If we’re in playoff contention we’ll need him the last 4 weeks and playoffs, and then he’ll be gone anyway. This is all fake drama nonsense, Douglas probably even knew this might happen, who cares. If we arent in playoff contention Douglas is gone anyway. Reddick isn’t here to make us playoff contenders, he’s here to make us a top level playoff Defense. And he’ll be here by then.