growing concerned about chads future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by alleycat9, Feb 16, 2006.

1. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

These days, alot!

2. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Actually, with the incentives offered, he could make more than his original contract. It's only a paycut if you think he's finished, so it is actually putting Chad into a position where he has to admit he thinks he can come back or if he just wanted to take more money for not playing. If he thinks he's coming back, this is actually a pay raise. We'll see just how big Chad's ego really is when push comes to shove now. Personally, I think Tom Condon will talk Chad out of accepting it, because I'm sure Condon thinks Chad is done.

3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Question: Incentives are the way to go. Assuming, in the rare event, Chad comes back next year and puts up 2002 numbers and earns $7M for the year. Does the additional money count on next year's cap? How does that work?

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

If what you say is so, then I would think Pennington has no choice but to accept. And if Condon thinks Chad is done, even more the reason why he should urge Pennington to sign it. Either way, Chad's best alternative is to sign, the way I see it.

5. Jetsrock16

Jetsrock16 New Member

well, if chad cant come back, there is always Vinny...

6. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2330386

NEW YORK -- The New York Jets are attempting to renegotiate the contract of quarterback Chad Pennington, who missed much of the last two seasons because of an injured throwing shoulder.

As first reported by ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Sunday, the Jets asked Pennington to take a pay cut to a $1 million base salary with incentives that would compensate for the remaining $8 million the team owes him.

These are more than routine steps to get under the salary cap by March 3, the first day of free agency, a person familiar with the talks told The Associated Press on Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing. Rather, they are related to the right shoulder injury and questions of whether Pennington's arm will return to full strength.

The Jets will not comment.

Pennington signed a $64 million, seven-year deal two years ago. He is expected to have a salary cap number close to $12 million this season, including a $3 million roster bonus due in March. Even if the Jets cut him, they would take a salary hit of about $10 million because of the prorated salary cap.

Complicating the issue is the lack of an extension to the league's collective bargaining agreement with the players' union. The contract expires in 2008, but 2007 would be an uncapped season, leaving questions about the length and size of deals with free agents.
    ----------------------------------------

There's more to the article, but those are the important parts. I've read elsewhere that he'd actually make a bit more, and it makes sense since that would entice him to sign and not hurt the Jets, because if he hits all those incentives I'd think we'd gladly pay him that much a year anyway. But either way, it's hard to say that it's such a huge paycut if you expect him to contribute. Basically the argument is either you're in favor of Chad contributing and earning his money, or if you think he should just be guaranteed the money regardless of his performance. I'm in the former camp, and I'd hope Chad is okay with it too, but I'm sure Condon is in the latter.

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

It's a new board. Don't start.

8. Jetsrock16

Jetsrock16 New Member

lol, it is a new board, but i will never give up my attempt to inform everyone about the greatness...

9. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Pull my grandpa out of the grave and stick #16 on him. Watch how no one will notice if its Vinny or not.

10. Jetsrock16

Jetsrock16 New Member

go to the newyorkjets.com, click on fans multimedia, and go down to game highlights and the tampa bay game. you can see what an incredible game he played and all the frozen ropes he threw, your grandpa couldn't have done that, sorry.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

lol Oh boy... Here we go again.

12. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

It's official... I missed you guys. lol

#32 JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB, Feb 16, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

whatever we all like chad cuz of his "team leadership" . nows the time when we see if pennington is actually the player we've made him out to be. cause if he doesnt sign this he's basically saying he wants to get paid to ride the bench. or hes saying hello retirement cuz i dont know which team would want him anyways.

14. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

This is what you don't get - or, more likely, what you DO get, but choose to troll anyway: Greatness is apparent on the surface of things. When something is great, there shouldn't be any need to go around "informing" people of it. It's there.

With Vinny, it's not. Never was.

Vinny's career was like a northeastern weather forecast. There were days here and there where he sparkled. Most other days, he was fair with intermittent good. Or, partly-good with a chance of suck. Then there were those stormy days - the days of mostly lousy, changing over midday into full blown suck.

15. lightning

lightning Active Member

boy, did i miss hearing crap like this :)

16. ab3

ab3 Banned

his bullshit comeback cost us last year,, thank christ he is gone...

17. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Its kind of sad if Chad desides to take the money and run. I think he was really just starting to find his grove, see things on the field that only comes with playing time and experience considering he never had a chance to play to many full seasons. Whatever does happen I wish him the best. I hope he signs and proves me wrong with his performance, whenever that may be.
    Go Jets

18. WesleyWuzTheMan

WesleyWuzTheMan New Member

It's not as much of an issue for baseball pitchers as it is for football quarterbacks. There's been a few of the former since Tommy John famously came back and had a 20-win season (with the Yankees in 1979, I think), but pitchers aren't required to run around the ballpark dodging hitters while looking for a catcher running full speed away from them to throw to. Chad was damaged goods enough after the first such surgery, with much reduced deep ball ability and less velocity throwing short.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

19. Jetsrock16

Jetsrock16 New Member

well people just dont understand, so i have to inform them, thats all.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So what kind of detergent do you use to get the smell out of your sleeves when you're done with a dumpster dive?