Gronk vs Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CONN-JET.2.0.3., Mar 28, 2012.

1. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen New Member

I agree that the move for Revis to safety should be at least experimented with in the future. Teams can far too easily gameplan Revis' effectiveness out of the game, and teams are stockpiling multiple threats. Last season was a very clear indication of where the game was headed. I would like the coaching staff to at least give this a try at some point.

2. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Revis >>>>>>>>> Gronk on AND off the field. No doubt.

3. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Man that was such an awkward segment. Gotta admit, it was a good comeback by Gronk though.

4. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

After Revis called Tim Tebow "a competitor," Gronkowski said, "starting quarterback for the Jets."

Yeah not too bad for a rock head.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Then we'll get burned by a scrub like Deion Branch. I don't really want that.

6. tommytom

tommytom Banned

lol you wish Gronk was a Jet. Teams can avoid Revis. Gronk cannot be avoided. Gronk bigger impact on the game. Revis classless.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good job. You don't have your CB going man coverage on a TE all game long because he's out of position and overmatched if it's a running play.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think Rex will and should put Revis on Gronk one-on-one next fall..

I will give that dumb f*cking meathead some props, he's a rare talent. But he's also been ripping apart slow ass LBs and smaller Safeties.. It's obvious that they cannot cover him on any team.

In the past Rex would put Revis on Moss/Welker and Revis would take them out of the game. Last year Rex tried moving Revis around a lot and I think he managed him poorly in the Pats games.. they were able to find Welker when Revis wasn't on him.. Gronk when Revis wasnt on him... even Branch etc. I think that wasn't the way to go as they didn't take one person out of the game.

I don't think Rex should be afraid of Welker anymore. He's slowing down a little and isn't that dynamic with his routes anyway.. How many 5 yrd outs or buttonhooks can one guy run? I would put a combo of Wilson/clog the inside (much like the Div. Playoff game) to cover him. Cromartie can handle whoever they put across from Welker. Revis would take Gronkowski out of the game... that would throw off the entire rhythm of their offense, we saw how pedestrian they looked with him out of the game injured in the SB. This strategy could hold them to 14-20pts, enough to win.

9. BrowningNagle

I'd rather have the ball out of Brady/Gronkowski's hands as much as possible. I'd take my chances that the rest of the D could step up and stop whatever no name they run the ball with in NE this fall.

10. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Yea, and Revis came across as a Rhodes Scholar.

11. PatsFanSeoul

PatsFanSeoul Member

Revis as a FS? Bar none, the best corner in the game playing the safety position on a division rival? Where do I sign up?

No way Jets should move him over, and get him to play a weaker spot for all the talent he has.

Neither Rhodes Scholars, but all Pats fans would kill to have Revis on our team, and I imagine Jets would love to have Gronk on their too.

2 great players in their prime, ripping each other's coaches. Great segment.

12. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Abby, I agree with your theory that the Safety has become the most important position in the DB because he's involved in every play, and you can marginalize the great CB's by simply not throwing the ball their way. The Pats do it every time they play the Jets now. Thus the best Jet defender is only involved in about 6 out of 60 odd plays.

However I question how well Revis would transition to safety. No question Revis is the best CB in the league. One of the reasons is Rex allows him to play man coverage 99% of the time, regardless of what the rest of the team is doing. So we KNOW Revis is good at man to man coverage.

But playing FS means playing "zone" coverage full time. My question is would Revis be as effective if he had to play off the ball, being reactive as opposed to proactive. Can he play the field as well as he can a single man. Can he excel in a zone when 90% of his playing experience has been in man.

I don't know the answer, just bringing up the question

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

What happens if Revis gets hurt defending the TE on a running play?

14. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Browing, I saw this kind of sh!t often last season and the best Rex could do was put out a defense that allowed the Pats to score 30+ points in both games. So put your Revis over here and your Cromartie over there, and the end result is still likely going to be 30+ points.

BTW- the Gronk didn't just score TDs against "slow ass LBs and smaller Safeties". He did it against CBs and fast LBs and big Safeties. He had more TDs last season than Keller has in his entire NFL career...and Gronk can block.

Oh yeah, don't be afraid of Welker anymore. That's smart :rolleyes: Ignore the 1,570 yds last season, or the 6,500+ over the last 5. I'm sure you'd MUCH rather have Santonio Holmes and the 650 yds he got. Boy you sure did get your $10MM worth on that signing.:grin:

15. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Vote for Gronk on the Madden cover. Problem solved.

16. BrowningNagle

That would really suck. But you don't gameplan with that on your mind... you could say that with matchups all over the field.

What happens if Shonn Greene gets hurt pass blocking a blitzing LB/DE?
    What happens if Mark Sanchez gets hurt running a QB sneak to get a 1st down?
    What happens if Revis blitzes and gets crushed by a OT, breaking every bone in his leg and ruining his career?

In obvious run situations they could pull Revis off him, but overall he'd be okay hes not shown to be injury prone and hes not small.

17. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

That's pretty funny right there.

18. BrowningNagle

Huh? Of course I'd rather have Welker than Holmes...

And you simply didn't see that kind of shit often last season because Revis was hardly on Gronkowski at all, if any, so STFU. Anytime he's been matched up one on one with Welker though, he's owned him - that I do know.

Also Gronkowski didnt have any CBs at all guard him consistently last season that's not true. But I'm sure all the LBs were fast and all the Safeties were big....

I gave Gronkowski props, I said he's a rare talent. I dont know why you brought up Keller because I didn't, he's obviously way better than Keller. A much better dancer too!

19. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

hahaha that was funny...

towards the end i thought they were start making out

20. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

im sure gronk takes in the ass better than keller too