Greg Williams Installing Attacking Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 31, 2019.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

When a pass is thrown an attacking defense will make a play on the ball. Either a swat, pick or pass break up.

A conservative defense will allow a completion then secure the tackle.

Attacking defenses shoot the gaps in the run game almost always forcing the RB to bounce to the outside.

Conservative defenses are very reactionary in the run game, never trying to blow things up, they emphasize containment more to avoid big plays.

At the end of the day we need to be aggressive first. Disciplined but aggressive. Disciplined but aggressive. Disciplined but aggressive.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The cba does not allow it.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree and I disagree strongly.

the rules have changed so much that it doesn't matter what style you use, the defenses are still going to get called for holding and pass interferences. BUT turnovers change games. Might as well be aggressive and try to create turnovers

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

"Bend don't break" defense was the way to go for Jet teams of the last four years. When you have an offense as weak as the Jets did, you can't afford to give up big plays especially early in the game. Your only hope of winning games is to keep the score close by forcing your opponent to expend time on the clock to score. The more plays you force your opponent to run, the greater chances they'll make a mistake or turn the ball over. If you're going to have an attacking defense, you better have an offense that can score quickly to make up for the quick scores that you're likely to give up.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

fyp . : )

Am giving Gase a wait-and-see attitude (and hoping he turns out good for Sam and Co.) but when it comes to Gregg Williams that's where the skepticism sets in. GW needs to prove he's an innovator and not just some F-bombing hothead who the players will tune out over time ("that's f***ing garbage!" "That's f***ing unacceptable!" "Get to the QB or I'll f***ing bench you!").

"points against" for Williams' defenses:

2005 - Wash: 9th
    2006 - Wash: 27th
    2007 - Wash: 11th
    2008 - Jax: : 21st
    2009 - N. Orl: 20th
    2010 - N. Orl: 7th
    2011 - N. Orl: 13th
    2012 - St. Lou: 16th
    2014 - St. Lou: 17th
    2015 - St. Lou: 13th
    2016 - LA Ram: 23rd
    2017 - Cleve: 31st

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Total Defenses:

2005 - Wash: 9th
    2006 - Wash: 31st
    2007 - Wash: 8th
    2008 - Jax: : 17th
    2009 - N. Orl: 25th
    2010 - N. Orl: 4th
    2011 - N. Orl: 24th
    2012 - SUSPENDED
    2013 - Tenn (assistant): 14th
    2014 - St. Lou: 17th
    2015 - St. Lou: 23rd
    2016 - LA Ram: 9th
    2017 - Cleve: 14th
    2018 - Cleve: 30th

joe likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

yeah well Cleveland, the Rams, New Orleans... I mean you can't expect the guy to make Parmesan Mushroom Risotto out of cowshit

:)

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Turnovers are a result of containment. Trap blocks and screens kill aggressive defenses.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Q Williams will not be contained.

He's a bowling ball of disruption.

10. BrowningNagle

Turnovers aren't really a result of containment and it depends on what your definition of "aggressive defense" is, but I consider it one with pressing man to man corners.

If anything that helps containment as the corners are closer to the line of scrimmage instead of 15 yards downfield like dummy Bowles had them

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

But not a Bowling Ball with Knives.

Please.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Where do you think the mushrooms come from?

BrowningNagle and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I think it's hilarious they want to install an attacking D and say beating the Pats is the most important thing.
    First of all, we could lose twice to them and still go 14-2, so the Pats don't really matter more than anybody
    else until we get to the playoffs. Second, attacking D's are eaten up by Brady, he will have the ball out before
    you get to him. The way you defend him is to stay back and flood the backfield, make him pat the ball until
    the d line gets to him. Maybe it's the only way to cover up a weak backfield. "4. Dangerous corner: My biggest takeaway
    after watching two practices: The cornerback situation is precarious." said Cimini yesterday.

Ron

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yes and no. obviously the end goal is winning a SB and we don't necessarily have to beat the pats to do that. The problem is winning the SB from a wild card spot is pretty rare and going 14-0 against the NFL but losing to the pats twice is a situation that is highly unlikely. Six wild card teams in the National Football League have won the Super Bowl. The six teams to win the Super Bowl from the wild card position include the Oakland Raiders in 1980, Denver Broncos in 1997, Baltimore Ravens in 2000, Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005, New York Giants in 2007 and Green Bay Packers in 2010. no wild card team has won in the past 8 years and only 6 have won in the past almost 40 years. on top of that the pats have made the SB one out of every 2 years in the past 18 years and won it 1 out of every 3 in that time. The chances of making the SB without beating the pats is pretty slim. even if we were to somehow win the division despite going 0-2 against them, they will be in the wild card and we would likely have to beat them in the champ game. So while it's certainly possible, realistically we can't make a SB without beating them.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why is it impossible to play an attacking defense OR a containment defense depending on the opponent/game situation? I'm pretty sure you can do both, but from what I saw with Bowles/Rodgers it was almost always containment. I'm hoping that G. Williams with his multiple schemes can adapt to the occasion.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i think you answered your own question lol. sure it's possible but historically speaking when defenses "let off the gas" and go into prevent it only "prevents you form winning" it's the whole herman edwards playing not to lose al over again. i'd rather live by the sword and die by the sword personally instead of letting a team slowly stab us for 30 minutes until we die

SOJAZ and Longsuffering88 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree, and sorry, but I think that is not true at all. The way to beat NE is to pound Brady. The teams that have beaten NE got consistent pressure and sacks of Brady. You don't get that sitting back in a read and react containment system.

SOJAZ, Leicester Jet and Jets81 like this.
  18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Man, you’re gonna hate Williams defense. Although he does put a safety 40 yards off the LOS! Actually the last coach to play the d you’re describing was probably Mangini.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Two great quotes from Williams this morning

20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member