Greg McElroy should be our starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ........, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

This is awesome:

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    For what it's worth, #Jets rookie QB Greg McElroy scored a 43 out of 50 on Wonderlic Test. Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor reportedly scored a 7

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Mods...ban for racism.

3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The wonderlic is basically an IQ test to see how quickly a guy can catch on to a system. I seriously doubt it is a predictor of success.

With enough reps a QB learns. Whether it takes 15, 50 or 500 is irrelevant except in early stage development. What a guy does to improve his performance by being able to recognize a defense by witnessing so many reps is way more important than the guy that can recite a phone book but has a noodle arm and can't hit the sideline pass.

4. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Why? it says that our black QB had a great score on that test.

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

That isn't true... simply the Wonderlic tests a kind of intelligence (logical) that is only marginally used in the NFL.
    But if you're stupid and can't go through a progression you can have JaMarcus Russell's arm but you'll never get anyhwhere.

One thing is to learn a play-book (and I agree almost everyone can do that if given time), another is to execute it on the field (and some players are just too stupid to do that, see Russell).

6. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

High wonderlic actually has been tied to success in many quarterbacks, while there are exceptions, scoring high is usually a big indicator of performance.

7. No Fly Zone

I'm not referring to the guy that never gets it, a guy that can't learn won't. Russell or someone like him isn't typical, they don't normally get a chance to be a starter unless you have an Al Davis picking in the draft.

For true NFL caliber QB's I think the test is just a gauge on how quickly they catch on to a system.

Its no different than a flame throwing pitcher that can't find the strike zone. Those guys will be in the minors but will never progress to the majors unless they can learn the strike zone. Those that do succeed, those that don't...there's a roadside littered with 95 mph fastballs but no control. They're doing things other than baseball for a career.

8. No Fly Zone

Yes that's true but it doesn't mean that a guy with average intelligence can't be just as successful.

I expect a guy with a Harvard education to succeed. It doesn't mean that the guy that worked hard and applied himself at a 2nd or 3rd tier college can't be successful.

The issue recently is that most teams can't afford to let QB's sit a few years. They need to play right away so the test had more meaning to teams in dire need of a QB to come in and play right away. I think the pendulum is swinging the other way now though with the new rookie wage scale. Top first round picks will still get their money, not as much but enough, its the lower 1st, 2nd and 3rd round QB's selected that won't be paid as much and teams can allow them to sit and mature. Time will tell.

9. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Here's an interesting study on the Wonderlic test. Unless you're on a college campus or your company pays for access to T&F online you probably won't be able to access anything more than the abstract, but the upshot is that Wonderlic scores do not positively and significantly predict future NFL performance.

10. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

You can't be serious. This guy has a few good drives in preseason and you're already comparing the situation to Brees / Rivers? :rofl:

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Quincy Carter? Ftr I always thought he was bright. He just had small drug problem. Happens to the best of us.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Steering the conversation off the Wonderlic I feel like in 3 or 4 yrs McElroy will be in the situation Flynn is now... aka someone a team will want to throw a 2nd rd pick at.

Hopefully McElroy will have a ring as a backup like Flynn too...

13. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Try the Wonderlic yourself, or at least an approximation of.

For the record I scored 42.5 but I would be a fucking atrocious quarterback.

14. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I got a 40. You have to be some kind of retard to score a 20 or lower.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

sign this beast

16. No Fly Zone

I said its "way too early to say".

My view is based on what I've seen and what I've seen is that his accuracy and touch have been very good, especially for a rookie with no rookie camp, no mini-camp etc. His poise in the pocket and decision making also have been very good. Seeing that in a kid just drafted is a huge positive. It doesn't mean he's the next Peyton Manning but it sure is a a heck of a lot better than what most career backups bring to the table.

I don't watch college ball and I don't really trust the scouting reports so all I had to go on is what I see, which I trust much more than draft scouting reports. Those reports said he wasn't accurate or consistent, didn't throw well and was indecisive. He's been anything but what the scouting reports have said. Again, time will tell how he develops but so far so good.

By comparison, Sanchez is in his 3rd year and still has flawed mechanics. The scouts on him said he had good mechanics, could make all the throws, is very accurate passer especially in short passes, crossing patterns and sideline passes. His weakness was perceived to be the deep ball. 3 years later the guy throws a nice deep ball and throws a nice ball over the middle which is dangerous because that's where trouble lingers. His problems have largely been with crossing patterns and sideline passes. The scouts so far have missed on their view of him.

With respect to Sanchez's mechanics it looks like the Jets are trying to counter his flaws by having him throw flat foot for a more consistent throw. That puts a lot of pressure on his shoulder and is distinctly different in approach to a QB that steps into his throws. I think a lot of his inconsistency is directly tied to this approach. When he has to move in the pocket and throw its a different follow through than having him stand flat foot so balls sail high and wide so he's inaccurate. A QB that steps into his throw from the pocket has a similar motion when moving around in the pocket and releasing the ball so the ball comes out in a similar manner. He still throws the ball well on the run but I think we'd all prefer that he be protected and throw from the pocket then when running for his life.

I'd much prefer for the coaches to correct his mechanics to improve his consistency and completion % instead of forcing him to cover up his mistakes by altering his motion but that's what they appear to have done so he is and will be inconsistent until it gets corrected.

#76 No Fly Zone, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  17. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

McElroy would start if it wasn't for Sanchez. I have not said this before but if Sanchez went down, I would feel very confident that we could win with McElroy, very.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who's goes in next?

Drew Willy?

[​IMG]

#78 Acad23, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  19. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Just the name Drew Willy on our roster is a sign.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's the sign?

I thought having two guys named McKnight was the sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.