Great chart on Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets_fan_in_fishtown, Oct 19, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Two rushing TDs.

I personally like to count them too, I just try to let people know I'm counting them before add them in and post the total.

2. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

right, that's different.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Here, sir, yes, sir!

I like the charts, especially since they support my impression that the Sanchez hate is ridiculously overblown. The cumulative charts smooth out the game-to-game variation, which on the one hand is good, but on the other hand does open up the question as to whether Sanchez is more inconsistent game-to-game than other QBs are (we'd need to see game-by-game charts for other QBs to know).

He's clearly far better than he was in 2009, but at this point the 2010 and 2011 performances are pretty similar. The key is going to be going forward, especially when the weather gets bad - he only had 1 game last year in the last 12 games where he threw for more than 1 TD, and he only had 2 games in the last 11 where he didn't throw a pick. Those need to be better this year.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

haha yep, and I wanted to emphasize that point to illustrate why someone might get confused, thus informing Soxxx that what he did was right but didn't go about it in the correct way.

Just me being a passive douche.

5. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

These charts are actually very well done, especially the cumulative charts. It'll be interesting to see how these look by the end of the season.

Agreed, I think the true tell of how much progress Sanchez has made will be if he can keep the production up this year. If he can maintain a good level of performance over the course of the season and keep building on lessons learned, I'll be happy with how he's progressing; I may start having second thoughts though if he turns back to the middling ways of the last half of last season.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Also, to be fair, Sanchez's yardage totals and completion percentage his first 2 seasons were pretty abysmal. If his numbers weren't better, we'd have a problem.

He has played marginally better this year, and he's done it with less talent around him. But he still has a long way to go to become the QB we all hope he can be.

The hate is overblown, but it is time to start looking at him more critically. He's still a young quarterback in year 3. He's got time to grow. Unfortunately, the team around him may have had its best chance to win while he was growing, and he might not be improving rapidly enough to make up for the problems around him.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez had 3 TD's against New England in the playoffs and 2 against Pittsburgh. He had 1 Int in the 3 playoff games.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez's numbers are better than Eli Manning, John Elway and Troy Aikman in their third seasons. His numbers are similar to Joe Flacco's after his 6th start last season in his third year. Flacco was just getting geared up for a 9 straight game run of excellence that turned into a breakout year for him. Before he screwed up against Pittsburgh in the playoffs and got the Ravens eliminated that is.

Matt Ryan's having issues also this year. He and Flacco are both in their fourth year and taking a step back while Sanchez steps forward in his third.

The people hating on Sanchez are hating on him because he's not Peyton Manning in his third season right now. That's an awfully stupid thing to hate somebody for because it's true of every other QB in history also.

9. mute

mute Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's somewhat what they want, and they're idiots for wanting it.

They think that the #5 overall pick is tied into him being an immediate pro bowler and that he's going to be a HOFer when they forget how raw he was coming out of college. That's still not an excuse, considering he's a completely new study of a QB starting immediately after 16 starts in college. There is no one else to compare him to, a discussion you and I had before. This is a whole new study.

People fail to realize that.

He's improving in a year where his weapons have declined greatly from the previous season in both OL, running game, and WRs. That's pretty impressive.

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Like I said before, his numbers in a perfect situation weren't very good. He took a big step up in the playoffs. I was very happy with how he played vs Pittsburgh. The regular season for him has been pretty bad, but he's been young, so I've pretty much excused it.

He's still only at 56%. 9 TD and 5 INT is a little better ratio than it was last year, but he's also got as many fumbles lost in 6 games this year as he had in his previous 31 starts. Much of that is the line's fault, but he's still gotta do a better job of protecting the football.

He is improving, at least based on the regular season numbers. You can argue he's regressed from the playoffs last year, but he's been making baby steps in the regular season. That said, he isn't playing well. Judging him on what type of quarterback he is right now, he's a mediocre one, and that's still better than what he was the last two regular seasons, even if slightly.

The experience excuse can continue to be used. He will get better the more he plays, and he had less chances to play in college, so he's still getting used to some things. The kid works hard, and I think he'll eventually get to be one of the better quarterbacks in the league. Am I 100% confident? No. But he deserves the chance to play through it until we find out what he is.

It's just comparing him to the last 2 seasons isn't necessarily the best barometer. It does show that he's improving slightly statistically. But his stats were also pretty bad the last 2 years, so that doesn't necessarily mean a ton.

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The 56% figure is ridiculous though. He's had that one 30% game in Baltimore and otherwise been at or around the magical 60% mark all season.

If you blame Mark for the completion percentage at Baltimore then you weren't watching the game.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That's fine, (1) as long as your team is guaranteed to make the playoffs, and (2) as long as you think a small sample of 2 games has more information in it than a larger sample of 11 or 12. I don't believe either of those things, so while I'm certainly impressed that he's been able to raise his game in the postseason the last couple of years, I'm not going to say that's the only thing that matters. He clearly is not playing now at the level he played in the postseason last year, and that's what matters until January.

#33 statjeff22, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

This is one of the reasons we look at more factors than just stats. mark was MUCH better a year ago, he has regressed a bit this year(though I blame that more on WR turnover, the OL struggles and running game struggles). Last year his #s weren't very good but he was always making plays in big spots, this year he hasn't really done that yet. #s are better but the QB is not better.

15. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

The bar charts are well done. They are logical and readable. However, the line graphs suck because they don't use any reference points on either the x or the y axis. If these were written in words, they would be jibberish.

16. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

IMO, a big part of it is that the Jets are 3-3, when they are expected (Rex) to go to the Super Bowl.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I have to agree with this....... but like you said, there are factors involved beyond Sanchez affecting his performance (hopefully)

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I saw a glimpse of the real Mark in that Miami game, after that first TD drive he got his confidence back. remember a year ago where he was awful against Cincy,NE and Miami? Then he regained confidence in that Pitt game and finished the seasons trong before having another good postseason(though he was bad in the first half of the Indy WC game). I see something similar.

People have to realize Brandon Moore didn't do anything all camp and preseason, we lost Mangold early and Wayne Hunter was adjusting to being a full time starter. He had 3 of 4 new WRs(now 2 of 3), the running game has struggled b/c of the OL. The offense will be fine and it starts up front, I have been encouraged by what I have seen from the OL the last 2 weeks and I expect them to get better.

19. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

are you blind? it says the game and shows #s on the other axis. then when you run your mouse over that particular point in the graph, it gives you the specific #

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yeah, it seemed that he got over his David Carr Shell Shock Syndrome (DCSSS) once he realized he may not get pounded every snap, then made plays happen........hopefully this continues as the O-line gets their shit together and the OC, QB & WRs are all on the same page (and Plaxico loses his lead cleats)