Grantland: Explaining the Jets: Yes, They Definitely Have a Plan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Axel3419, Oct 7, 2014.

1. TheSHRIKE81

TheSHRIKE81 Member

Exactly. There's not a circumstance that exists where the front office could say "no worries, we have a long term plan, 2014 is shot, we're hoping for a good draft pick" no matter how true that might be, because ticket sales will drop.

Also the players would be much less motivated to potentially hurt themselves on a wasted season.

2. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

Rex has had success with the exception of the last few years where the talent fell off. If there is anything to hate about Rex is the in-game management of timeouts etc. when players like davis comes out and say he feels that the players don't prepare like they want to win, that's a little on Rex but at the same time these guys are grown men. They are adults, if they don't want to prepare hard and go the extra mile I can't put majority of that blame on Rex.

We are fortunate to have a lovable coach that the players love and want to play for. People should stop blaming Rex for the inadequacies of the offense. We found the right coordinator all idzik needs to do now is put the talent out there at the wr position and put an end to the uncertainty of Rex's fate. GM needs to step up and put an end to the thought of Rex being fired. Idzik is ruining my fall.

#82 jtrain, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  3. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

^"a coach that players want to play for" - except when he stood at a podium in tears, and said he "lost" the team. (How he wasn't fired on the spot is still a mystery to me) and except when it comes to practicing and working hard, apparently. This whole "players will run through a wall for Rex" canard has been disproven numerous times over the past few years.

4. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

This does NOT mean that we should necessarily keep Rex, but I think you're wrong here. If your claim is correct, how is it possible that this reaction occurred after our team went 8-8 last year? What else explains the reaction aside from the team's absolute love for Rex?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap2000000306995/Jets-celebrate-decision-to-keep-Ryan

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

soxxx likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Lol GGN is nothing but a forum that masquerades as a news site. Every "article" is an OP and the comments are actually the rest of the thread.

It's obvious by reading their half assed "articles". I don't even know why Petro has it in the news feed.

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I believe that he believed that the talent on this team was sufficient enough to win. He should have made 1-2 more moves. The pressure is on in 2015, he will have his roster, his headcoach, his team, so its now all on him.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ill read this later but like I said, this Grantland writer basically wrote out this best possible scenario, rather the likely scenario. He is claiming that our draft picks will flourish, Idzik will make all the right signings, etc.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

There will be ups and downs, I'm willing to go for the ride. People can think what they want, but I just feel it's too early to go crazy.

FJF, Jonathan_Vilma, Axel3419 and 2 others like this.
  10. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I don't even think JI had actually forsaken this year, that is to say while he was sure this wasn't a team ready to win the SB and wasn't a piece away from a championship, he also didn't think of 2014 as a "lost year" that should;t be cared about either.

the problem lies with his method of competing over the short term, namely its a system where a bunch of low risk semi-high reward vets and developing draft picks are asked to contribute past their price tag.

he thought this team could compete the way it was built, and that Patterson or McDougle would hold down the fort at Corner like so many other vets and rooks are being expected to right now.

in other words the plan was for at least ONE player among a bunch of lower costing lower key players at most positions to overachieve and fill a need. Quantity over the perceived quality that would come from signing a bigger name to a big deal.

thing is, we may have gotten lucky with how well our David Nelson types were last year, and some of our draft picks that began playing a bit better as things ended gave us an impression they could take the next step, which lulled us into thinking we could get away with these players again.

But then people get hurt, and then stupid things like Patterson's going AWOL happens, and maybe the guys playing past their contracts stop doing so, and maybe safe gambles like signing Johnson don't pan out as we hoped or aren't used correctly and suddenly we're SOL.

Such is life when saving money and saving ones self from overcommitting to questionable entities during Free agency; the risk is less expensive, but still there if a signing doesn't work out, or people get hurt, or whatever.

Funny part is, we might yet win on that chance and be less snake bitten in the future, but for now it doesn't look like its working our way. Still, I'm not sure JI considered this a lost year despite the cap hoarding (if anything this is just the first time he's been able to hold onto money and 2014 will just be the first year to give us some freedom for each year in perpetuity), I think he honestly thought this team could "limit break" as it were and compete for a playoff spot. Its just not a full proof plan, and you see how it can all go wrong.

but at least we have a future, right?:confused:

MaximusD163 likes this.
  11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I thought we could build on last year, but it wasn't going to be instant success unless Geno turned into a superstar.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think Geno had to be a superstar for us to continue the rebuild progression

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

No but for instant success he did. The rebuild is still happening. Sometimes part of a rebuild is figuring out what you want to keep and don't need to keep. I'm frustrated with losing close games and getting blown out, but I also didn't think we are a great team that's under achieving. We are probably where we were last year with a *hope* of everything breaking correctly, which it has not so far. That's fine, you don't get all the breaks in the NFL, Idzik just has to stick to the plan and move forward with the team.