Grantland: Explaining the Jets: Yes, They Definitely Have a Plan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Axel3419, Oct 7, 2014.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This, its a results business, this is the Mets and Sandy Alderson, its about now, and Idzik has essentially thrown away an entire season. You cant do that, when was the last time Pittsburgh or New England threw away a season? Look at Pittsburgh, they are down in mediocrity lately but they are not throwing away a season, no chance.

2. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

Why should Rex be a goner for his GMs long term approach. Woody isn't a fool everyone relax Rex isn't going anywhere. If Rex is fired I will walk away from TGG forever that's how sure I am of Rex's survival.

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I think firing the HC buys a GM at least two more seasons. Let's pretend Idzik fires Rex and starts 2015 with John Doe as HC & finished 6-10. I'm sure that he'll let Woody know that his candidate had only one year to implement a brand new defensive & offensive scheme. Plus the new HC has only had one draft to work with. Imagine if Geno is the starter next year? Then Idzik can say his HC never had a chance to develop a young QB prospect.

Firing Rex is gonna give Idzik at least two more seasons.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

That sounds all well and good, but ultimate success will depend on talent evaluation. That scenario does not require that Idzik pick lousy players in the meantime. I don't see how you get past the fact that the OL guys he picked last year can't outplay Brian Winters, how Idzik let Slauson go for Winters and Ducasse, and this year stockpiled mid and lower round picks, went OL, and NONE of them panned out.

Amaro looks like a keeper, and Richardson is a great player. But DL was not a team need, and overall the drafts SO FAR look like Idzik does not hit enough on his draft picks.

jtrain likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

"There’s absolutely no relationship between in-stadium ticket prices and team spending; every team in the NFL has more than enough money to spend beyond the salary cap, by virtue of the league’s massive national television contract. The economics of one simply have nothing to do with the other."

The quote from Shrike above sort of alludes to EXACTLY why there IS a correlation between ticket prices/sales and team spending.

If the team admits they did not spend because they have a long term plan to execute and essentially say the 2014 season was not a part of this plan, ticket sales fall through the floor.
    Ticket sales and spending are NOT mutually exclusive.

TheSHRIKE81 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mets sadly have a brighter future then the Jets.

Well if you leave don't let the door hit you on the way out. I've seen a poor coaching job by Rex this year.

We can only care about 1 side of the ball for so long. Last 2 yrs would have been a great opportunity for Rex to expand his knowledge and become a more well rounded HC. The constant blitzing on 3rd and long, being on a defensive head-set during the Packers game where Geno and the Jets were on 4th down, not knowing about the timeout - just bad coaching.

That Packers moment was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Idzik did have a chance to develop a young QB prospect but he picked Geno Smith over QBs like Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr.

Idzik has already wasted a season, I don't think Woody would let him do this twice.

8. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

One more season at most !If the scenario occurred

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Its looking like next year finally, just need to make 2 good signings and we should be set.

10. Umphpool

Damn thats a strong approach! I really think he's gone by the end of this season

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't think he threw away a season, Sunday was the first time we were awful. had chances to win the other 3 games. this team can compete.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is actually a resaon to get rid of Idzik. If Ryan is fired, who will be the Jets Qb next year? Will Idzik want to go another year with Smith as the starter?

What reason do we have right now to assume Idzik will not bring Smith back if he can? And if he wants that, and Woody says no, then Idzik can say he was not able to have the Qb he wanted.

and if Idzik does not want to bring Smith back, why should we think he will be any better at getting another Qb for the Jets than he has been so far? I understand it seems unfair to say in effect he only gets one mistake, that being Smith. but the only alternative is to allow a GM to stay in place despite a record of failure in managing the Qb position. There is once again no reason to think Idzik would do better next time than anybody who might replace him.

13. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

Idzik left Rex in an unfavorable position. Any rationale person would know that if your boss left you to work with incompetent people that you are not to be blamed for the failure of the team. That falls on your boss. Rex proved last year after going 8-8 when expectations was a 3 win season that he is gonna be here for the long haul. Give Rex the talent. Give Geno the talent. Geno will be a good qb. Trust me. You couldn't put Montana under center with what we have around him. You just couldn't. My one issue is that next year's draft is so weak at the wr position that I hope we don't reach for amari cooper in the first round. We need to lay back and select Sammie Coates round 2and Dorian green Beckham round 3-7 (1st round talent but his off field issues may drop his draft stock). Suffice to say if Idzik fires Rex I hope his ass is a goner the following year.

Now that I think of it it wouldn't surprise me if idzik fired Rex. That man couldn't spot a model in a crowd of short fat women if his life was on the line

#73 jtrain, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Umphpool likes this.
  14. Umphpool

I agree with all of this with the exception of the Receiver Part -Decker -Kerley-Salas are going to be great WR's for the Jets and we have barley been throwing to them
    (I guess Decker is injured though, so theres an excuse)

15. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Consider me one of the fools who thought we could build on last year. Damn, the writing was on the wall, its silly to look back on how I thought we could improve on last years record. With our turnover ratio and point differential the signs were there that last year was a complete anomoly.

At this point matching last years 8-8 will be a huge success in my book but we have the look of a 6 win team. Disappointing but the idzik plan is sensible....if you draft well at least.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

there was a very good chance we could build on last year and not win as many games. we have 11 games to go, the season is far from over.

Duk Dodgers likes this.
  17. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

The article makes good points and may be on target, but unless we get a real head coach in here, Idzik's efforts will be for naught.

18. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

Please elaborate....idzik has done more wrong than right. One of the main reasons rex doesn't look good is because of the lack of talent that your boy idzik left him with so please elaborate on why you think rex is that bad of a coach. Rex has been stuck with incompetent offensive coordinators (finally has a good one in Marty) and lack of playmakers. Cut the man some slack

Rex Ryan's primary job should be to motivate his players and focus on Defense. Rex doesn't need to know offense, his responsibility is to put someone in as a coordinator that knows what they are doing and he has done that with Marty. Lack of accumulation of talent at the wr position is the reason rex looks putrid now especially since we are going up against top offenses coupled with top defenses.

#78 jtrain, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  19. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

They can improve their skills and build some mental toughness but at the end of the day it was just wrong for me to think we could transition to a wild card team and a consistent playoff contender this year. I look forward to building a consistent winner; I agree with alot of what that article had to say. That doesn't change how I feel right now; this 'transition' period is not very entertaining to me and I don't think things will get better with Denver and New England coming up.

That being said we have nowhere to go but up. 31-0 is about as bad as it gets.

20. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I didn't say I supported dzik, I think the jury is stll out, I just thought the article pointed out some interesting things. But Ive seen Ryan for 5+ years now, and the act is stale - the mistakes, the in game chaos, the lack of discipline, the general buffoonery, the lack of success, and now players saying that they don't work hard. Come on, enough already. How much do you need to see?