Gran Turismo 5

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jtuds, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Just picked it up at lunch, plan to play after work (and after the 1 hour, 6.8GB installation). Anyway, if any Canadians are buying it today, Superstore has it for $49.99.

2. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I got to spend a little time with the game last night.....it feels just like GT has always felt, just with better graphics.

I have not yet made it up to the high licences or circuits and I was not able to try the rally racing or go-karting but I did get to drive Jeff Gordon's NASCAR.

If you played GT5 Prologue, you'll probably think the graphics are pretty much the same.

The way they do the game menus looks good and clean.

Even though there has been criticism about the realism or lack thereof, my take on the graphics is that any minute change to make it more "real" would be inconsequential to me. When you look at the game, I am not sure what would make it more real-looking. It doesn't look real, that's for sure, but if I had to name 3 things that they could do to add realism I think it would be hard to pick out a glaring change. Maybe vehicle damage to all cars, hard to say.

3. DanR

DanR Active Member

graphics look grea

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Just picked the game up on Friday, and I've played a few races and did the first license test. I love how you can play the same race over and over to accumulate cash.

The graphics are great, and I don't have any complaints as far as gameplay goes. It's every bit as good as previous editions.

5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I am at level 11 now...just bought a ISF and got it up to about 550hp....thats a little too much I think

6. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Is this game worth a rental? I've never really played any racing games other than Burnout, and I've been thinking about playing a more serious one.

7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

well this is definitely a more serious game but you don't have to do all the hardcore tuning stuff if you don't want to. gotta admit i am let down by certain aspects of the game.

8. Jam.

Jam. Banned

How are the customizing options? I remember when I was younger I used to play some racing games just to customize the cars the way I wanted, lol.

What don't you like about it?

9. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Basically you can get down to the minutia of automobile physics and whatnot by purchasing fully customizable suspension, fully customizable geaboxes, transmissions, and in 4wd cars, you can even purchase upgrades to set which wheels will get while percentage of the power, and how mich traction needs to be lost before power is transferred, etc....

None of these are standard car options and none of the are required either....but say you buy a Lexus ISF for 67000, which I did....then you add a new exhaust, intake, and some other performance stuff to get the power up, you have a pretty good car. it is the 25000 and 30000 dollar upgrades that give you the full customization options. i will probably never buy those because I would not have a clue how to use them.

As far as things I don't like....sometimes the graphics are inconsistent and I still have yet to see a car get any realistic looking damage. I just like the game because of the sweet ass cars you can buy...

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I don't get the lack of damage criticism. You don't buy the game to deal with damage and look at cool car crashes, etc. It's a racing game.

11. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

[​IMG]

What does it say in all caps under Gran Turismo? If that statement holds true, you don't hit a wall at 150mph, get back on the track, get back to 150mph and win the race.