Grading & Opinions of Todd Bowles!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 26, 2017.

?

What Grade Do You Give TB Thus Far?

1. A.

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  2. A-.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. B+.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B.

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. B-.

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. C+.

10 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. C.

11 vote(s)
    12.6%
  8. C-.

17 vote(s)
    19.5%
  9. D.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  10. F.

21 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Indeed. I fouled up hard on this one, it looks like.

The Waterboy likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Todd Bowles is not on that list(Inc until next year). Do you not remember Lou Holtz? Bruce Colslet? Pete Carroll was Todd Bowles before Bowles became a coach. Cept there's no fake spike. And there's no way anyone can bring upnhis future success either.

Overreaction from the majority of Jet fans. Sorry bud I know you dislike Bowles like the majority but your hatred has blinded you as he has a few positives that have been mentioned quite a bit.

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

This should be a fun thread to watch. I gave him a C. He's still got a lot of improving to do.

Positives:

- Isn't a media whore, keeps things quite and leak free.

- Penalties are way down from the Rex Ryan era.

- Not afraid to punish top players for breaking the rules

Negatives:

- Game planning / mid game adjustments

- In game decision making (ie go for it on 4th vs kick FG)

- Clock management

In my eyes, Bowles will be the coach for 2017 and 2018, win lose or draw. The big thing to judge when all is said and done, will be how he develops the young guys on the roster. The team he inherited was vet based, it practically ran itself. Now he can really lay the foundation down for the youth. I thought he did improve a little bit down the stretch last year.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's interesting that none of the 3 people who gave Bowles an A have posted their reasons for doing so. IMO, no one who knows anything about the game could give him an A.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The three A voters are Casserly, Wolf and Todd Bowles.

6. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

LMAO. I knew you been lurking Todd.

7. 101GangGreen101

Spot on. I gave him the exact same grade for the exact same reasons. I think some of the young players are starting to develop which is good, but Bowles and this coaching staff has a long way to go.

8. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

Bowles really is an enigma

His reputation with coaches is high. Getting praise from Bill Parcels and Bruce Arians should not be taken lightly. The year we hired him to be our Head Coach, he was voted the best assistant coach in the entire NFL. That is no honor to sniff at. Additionally, players swear by him and say they would follow him anywhere as he is a true leader of men. No one has had a single bad thing to say about this man.

I also feel like people quickly glance over our 10-6 season like it is no big deal. Did we beat easy opponents? Absolutely. Regardless, that should not matter. Great coaches make sure that teams are prepared and beat teams that they are SUPPOSED to, which is exactly what we did. That is the sign of a good coach. Additionally, the team could have quit as they were a long shot to make the playoffs with only 6 games left, but Bowles motivated the team and had them win 5 in-a-row (unfortunately not 6).

With this said, what happened last year was borderline inexcusable. I thought our team was talented (before injuries) and they did not live up to expectations. The offense regressing (albeit not to that degree) was inevitable and I do not put much of that on Bowles. Fitz was a disaster and the offensive line had injuries left and right. The defense was a huge shock for me, as we still have defensive talent and they all looked lost last year. It was a huge step back and one that Bowles has to be responsible for. In his defense, Parcells once said you lose a game for every rookie you start and we started 3-rookie defensive players last year.

I believe in Bowles so I gave him a B, but last year made him difficult to evaluate for sure. I absolutely hope he gets a fair shot here, as I like his demeanor and think he can be a great coach.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Where is the box to check entitled "in over his head?" or "Always outmatched?" or "deer in the headlights?" I am sure Bowles is a nice enough guy, but to me he looks like a first day intern in a law office--happy to be there, but afraid to speak up and scared of his own shadow. When he punted on 4th and 5 last year in the 4th quarter on the 46 yard line against Pitt down by 11 when they had not stopped Ben R. all day, I realized he is clueless. No emotion, way too loyal to over the hill vets (revis, Fitz), no locker room control, bad in game decisions, and no long term plan for the jets (he will play McNown all year), he does not do much for me. Do you think ANY team looks at this year's schedule and actually fears playing a "Todd Bowles-led team????????"

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Appreciate the candor..

As far as I can tell I listed 2 positives for him , beating NE and saying all the right things at pressers

If you can tell me the other positives I am listening..name them

BTW maybe Bowles walks outa this Jets experience learning something like Holtz and Carrol..in the meantime i continue to be a long suffering fan

tomdeb likes this.
  12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Simple answer: every coach hired by the Jets since Bill Parcels are those that have had 0 head coaching experience. Unknown commodities that are over scrutinized and under a X1000 microscope by fans and media. A bad combination of inexperienced coaches and flaming angry fans = irate news coverage and forum posts.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

Someone mentioned it already:

1. Penalties are down considerably
    2. Player develop is on the uptick [Williams, Enunwa, Burris, Shell, Wesley Johnson, Robby Anderson]. This needs to continue
    3. Willingness to improve [Wants to work more with the offense; become a well rounded coach --- anti Rex Ryan]

BTW last sentence goes to show the problem with Jet fans. All Jet fans want is INSTANT GRATIFICATION and do not want to see a regime work out their issues. Good idea to let Bowles learn more as a HC, only to let him leave and have someone else reap the benefits. That is a very Jet thing to do, don't you think? Like when we let the Steelers benefit from James Farrior? Saints with Vilma? The list goes on and on my friend ...

FJF and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I like that the team is a lot more disciplined than it was during the Ryan tenure. It's also a much younger roster than during the Ryan years. I still get the feeling that a lot of the issues with veteran players (Revis, Mo, Richardson, etc.) comes from Bowles not letting them get away with the stuff Rex let them get away with (conjecture, obviously--possibly discipline/effort at practice, meeting attendance, etc.). It's bad that he appears to have lost the team last year, but it may well be growing pains for this roster, and most of the problem children could well be gone before the 2017 season kicks off.

Obviously, there are still a myriad of HC skills he needs to master, but if the 2016 issues are a sign of team growth at the expense of wins, then that's a good thing.

C+

15. NCJetsfan

I basically agree with this post. I haven't seen any articles or quotes that indicates that Bowles has said that he wants to improve or pointed out areas where he thinks he needs to improve. If you can point me their direction, I would appreciate it. It would make me feel a lot better about him and the Jets' prospects.

My only question is did Williams, Enunwa, Burris, Shell, Wesley Johnson and Robby Anderson really improve, or were they all pretty much ready to play at the level they did when given the chance. I think this is particularly true of Williams. When players improve, how do we know whether it's just a part of their learning the system in which they play, adjusting to the speed and complexity of the NFL, and a part of their natural maturation process and learning as they play, or is a direct result of the coaching they received from their position coach and/or HC? In the case of the offensive players you mentioned (Enunwa, Shell, Wesley Johnson, and Robby Anderson), I'd really have to question whether Bowles had anything at all to do with their growth/improvement since he hasn't been involved with the offense. His only connection would seem to be in the coaches he hired.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Work out the issues? Did you watch the jets play last year? Everybody and their brother wanted Fitzpatrick on the bench (especially after his 6 INT game), yet toilet bowles kept defending and PLAYING the worst QB in football. Parcells would have sat or deactivated Revis after nobody WRs constantly torched him, yet Bowles trooped him out there every game to be torched. Bowles played a DL out of position all year and presided over a locker room where the inmates ran the asylum. I just read TODAY that Bowles announced this week that being late for meetings is not that bad, because "lots of people are late for work." Great idea, Todd. That will surely motivate Wilk and others to be on time for your meetings next year. Dumb dip. Watch him play McNown all year in 2017 and have a 4-12 record--That will really "work out the issues," as you say, with our two young QBs.

17. 101GangGreen101

Check out what he said today:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/jets_todd_bowles_says_hell_have_much_bigger_role_w.html

The true question is does Bowles learn from the harsh lessons from last year? Rex never really did late in his tenure and also never wanted to evolve as a HC. People want the guy fired and they don't even want to see if he can improve or bounce back. Also hiring a competent coaching staff is part of the job description.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

If Mo has a brain it'll be the first one in and the last one to leave cause the Jets can cut him next season and Mo will lose a lot of money in the process. It's March, I'm on full wait and see approach

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Your wait and see approach is your opinion which I respect. I DO NOT see the wisdom, however, of Bowles (or any coach) announcing during the offseason that he doesn't have a big problem with players being late for meetings. And he wonders why he has no control of his players? (No, he probably doesn't wonder about it, either).

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Thanks! I liked the hiring of Bowles and still want to like him. I had high hopes after his first season, but this past season REALLY diminished those hopes, and started turning me against him. It will be best for the Jets if he learns from his mistakes, develops and becomes a good HC. I'm not gonna hold my breath, but I'm rooting for him. Things like this give me more hope. Thanks again.

Things like the following, however, give me more reason to doubt.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/todd_bowles_not_concerned_with_jets_tardiness_some.html

IMO he's too soft, and needs to be more of a disciplinarian. If he doesn't, I don't think the Jets will ever become a truly top team while he's here.

#40 NCJetsfan, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017