Grade the Jets 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by irishwhip03, May 10, 2014.

?

Grade the Jets 2014 Draft

1. A

23.7%
  2. B

39.2%
  3. C

15.5%
  4. D

13.4%
  5. F

8.2%
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

F.

For not grabbing either Teddy or Carr. I don't give a shit about the rest of the draft.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Here's a thought. How about firing Terry Bradway and all his scouts.

tomdeb, JetsNation06, milo and 6 others like this.
  3. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

B-

4. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Are you fuckin stupid? Apparently, you're the one watching ESPN because it's one of the most reactionary sports casts you can watch. They grade drafts literally the second they are done. It takes multiple years to grade a draft. Players need time to develop. Don't insult my intelligence because you don't understand the game.

5. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Where can I find you in 3 years so we can formally sit down. And grade the draft. I'll wait for your response in 3 years. Meanwhile the rest of western civilization has unanimously agreed that this draft was a failure.

tomdeb likes this.
  6. b.reyes16

Why don't you make a thread about the 2011 Draft? Something that actually makes sense. The only bad thing you can say about the draft thus far is that half of them have been cut or hurt. That doesn't mean the draft is a failure and I will guarantee anyone with knowledge of the game would tell you this draft cannot be judged yet. You're impatient. You lack knowledge. Stick around for another 2-3 years and we'll talk about whether this draft was good or not.

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Agree that ESPN is too reactionary, but when half the draft picks aren't on the roster after the first year, it's safe to say the results of the 2014 draft has been less than desirable at best. Most likely no one other than maybe Amaro looks like they will still be in the league after 3 years.

8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

To all the people who say that it's too early to judge, that you need two/three years to properly evaluate, etc., I agree it seems the wise -- even obvious -- approach. BUT...

who can think of some jets draftees from the past ten years that were harshly disparaged initially, and then shocked everyone by turning into quality players??

This is the glaring problem with the insistence on patience re: the draft. We have few if any examples of bona fide late bloomers. PLEASE don't tell me people were killing Revis or Harris or Mangold or Brick like this. Its not true.

Who was a bum early on, got killed by the forums, and then turned himself into a truly quality player by year 3?

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

year one= D-, not an F because Amaro.

final grade? need next year to tell.

what helps this mindset is that the only outright failure has been Saunders, the others haven't contributed because of injury or being in a bench role that they should have expected to have held to begin with. (were Reilly or Enemkpali expected to be our starting LBers this year?) this has done nothing for our chances this season, so its fair to call it an immediate failure, but it doesn't make this class a bust. not yet.

if McDougle and Evans don't contribute due to injuries or plain aren't any good and the others can't fill depth roles, than this class is a failure. no if ands or buts.

If Evans fills out our WR corps, Reilly and/or Enemkpali have their roles on the edge expanded, Dozier takes a starting guard spot, and mcdougle either fills out our CB depth or actually starts, I'd find it hard to call the group a failure.

for now I'm in wait and see mode.

Faux machine and Red Menace like this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with your post 100%, every draft pick will not turn out to be an all pro player, but if 3 end up starting and 2 more end up contributing to the team as good role players on special teams and decent backups, I personally would think it was a good draft.

It's not something that is determined in 8 games for the majority of players drafted.

I also think that Pryor is being used incorrectly by Rex, if he were playing a more traditional 2 deep safety where he provides over the top support for one cb and one LB you would see more of an impact as far as turnovers and hard hits from him.

Increasing his draft grade from a C to an A

#150 Red Menace, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Gotta love the A+ you gave the Taj Boyd pick ,you should send in your application for the scouting department right away !!lol

12. LongIslandBlitz

I give this draft a "G" since I think its worse then a "F"

tomdeb likes this.
  13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

no because it takes 3 years to judge a draft and anyone who works in the NFL would tell you that

14. LongIslandBlitz

The only good thing that came from this draft was Jace Amaro,unless Mcdougle ends up being a stud down the road and Pryor has better years ahead.Because Idzik wasted about 9 or 10 draft picks ,guy is clueless

15. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Stop being logical and/or reasonable. Nobody wants to read that shit.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

How Birdbrain Bradway even HAS a job with the jets after forking over 2 number 1 picks and a #4 pick for DeWayne Robetrson, the biggest bust in jets history, is beyond me. Unfortunately, Woody Johnson doesn't have the balls to fire incompetence.

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

nfl.com had McDougle rated the #256 best player, which in a 256 player draft is "Mr. Irrelevant." Several team did not even have McDougle ON their draft board. And Idzik/Rex take him in the middle of the 3rd round. You can't tell me that wasn't Rex (I love CBs) Ryan's idea. At least if you MUST draft a CB, pick a guy who played more than one and a half GAMES his senior year (unlike McDougle).

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! Thanks for the humor. Almost as funny as the product Rex puts on the field each week.

19. b.reyes16

I will guarantee that some of the players we cut will be in the league three years from now. Pryor is going to be a solid player. Most safeties struggle their first year in coverage as a pro. He's still an awesome run stuffer. He needs time to develop. Amaro looks like a definite keeper, but again, we're only 8 weeks into his career. McDougle is great in man coverage, but suffered an injury. Of course, he has an injury history, but we can't let that define his career unless it becomes continuous. Shaq Evans will be on the active roster next year. Bad injury, nothing you can do about that. Enunwa looked like a solid player, but he's had his legal troubles. The rest were expected to compete for a roster spot on whatever team drafted them. We're not the only team that cuts late round draft picks.

I'm not saying any of these players will be good. Hell, I'm not even saying they'll be average players. All I'm saying is you cannot reasonably judge a draft 8 weeks into their first season. Most say 3 years, but I think it can be done anywhere from 2-3. Does that mean all the players need to stick around for 3 years? No. If they can't compete for a roster spot, they should be cut. That is all.

20. b.reyes16

The Jets hire an entire department related to scouting. Using NFL.com is laughable. McDougle is a talented player who had trouble with injuries. I do agree that we reached for him though. He could have been had later, but definitely not the seventh round.