Grade the Jets 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by irishwhip03, May 10, 2014.

?

Grade the Jets 2014 Draft

1. A

23.7%
  2. B

39.2%
  3. C

15.5%
  4. D

13.4%
  5. F

8.2%
  1. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Amaro and Boyd were the only picks of note. Had to give a D overall.

2. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

B, though of course, you won't know until 3 years from now.

I think we got 2 starters in Pryor and Amaro, be they starters this year or next. I think Pryor will be a starter in 2014, even if he doesn't start game 1.

I think we got competition at WR, though I would have liked one top level guy. I think Shaq can turn into a 'move the chains' kind of player, hopefully in the Jerrico Cotchery mold, who was also about 6'1", 200lb, and ran a 4.5 40 as well. J-Co turned out to be a really solid player, who we missed a lot when he was gone. If Evans can turn into that, I'd be really happy. Also, having Amaro as a TE that can line up in the slot gives MM some really interesting play options if we go 4 wide. You've got a beef WR in one slot, and a speed WR in the other with Kerley, with Decker on one side and maybe a Stephen Hill or a Saunders/Evans alongside. There's a lot of places to put the football in that set up, and I like that a lot better than the 1 WR, 2 TE looks that we saw last year due to injuries and general suck factor.

If one of the CBs turns out, all the better. Could be an A draft, if a Amaro, one CB, a WR and Pryor all pan out. We drafted a lot of hard hitters, high motor guys. We drafted guys that love to be physical, and we have some options at WR now. We also got some good character, with some team captains and guys that had really positive intangibles.

The one thing that I would have liked was taking Michael Sam in the 6th/7th round. I think it would've been a good statement to draft him, and we know that half of the league can't sign the guy as an UDFA. We can, because of NY, and I like the Sheldon Richardson spoke highly of him on and off the field. Signing him as an UDFA would be nice, but it wouldn't make the same statement as drafting him would have. I wonder if he goes 5th-6th round had he not come out. Instead, he may go undrafted. I'm here to play football, not politics, but I think a lot of teams overlooked the football player here because they were concerned about the circus. We just drafted a 6'5" guy who has knee issues and is already 26 years old, in Trevor Reilly, to play OLB. I'd have taken Sam over that guy- based just on the football- any day of the week.

That said, there's a silver lining here. Manshit Metha said he'd hitchhike home if the Jets took all 12 of their picks. Well, we did. So...hit the pavement, phucker!

3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Idzik drafted the needs for the team, can't complain B

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What are we basing the grade on 5 minutes after the draft? No one got arrested in that time so I guess we're good so far.

We didn't trade up and didn't take a corner in the first so for that I'm not down on it. Sounds good so far but let's see them play a little.

Br4d and OverloadBlitz like this.
  5. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I really like the Evans pick in terms of offensive production next season. Not counting on him to be a #2 option but I think he will be there at the end of the competition.

Saunders is going to be nice as that home run threat. Heard comparisons to Brandin Cooks but Im not going that far. That deep threat though is something that would be nice.

Either way 12 picks..7-8 probably make the team. If 5 make an impact with Pryor and Amaro becoming very good for us then Im happy.

6. irishwhip03

Hmm I guess overall satisfaction? Think of it as a how happy are you right now between 1-10 poll.

9-10 = A
    etc etc

7. nyjrkm06

nyjrkm06 Active Member

This is our best draft since the revis mangold one

8. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Is there going to be a presser on nyjets.com now?

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Trevor Reilly turned this from a B- to a B for me so an above average but its really silly to grade this stuff.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I agree that giving draft grades is ridiculous, but this is a message board, thats what we do. so considering the prospect overall grade weighted against where we drafted him, these are the grades I would give

1. Calvin Pryor - A
    2. Jace Amaro - B
    3. Dexter McDougle - C
    4. Jalen Saunders - D
    4. Shaquelle Evans - D
    4. Dakota Dozier - C
    5. Jeremiah George - A
    6. Brandon Dixon - D
    6. Quincy Enunwa - A
    6. IK Enempkpala - D
    6. Tajh Boyd - D
    7. Trevor Reilly - A

I also voted C. I really like parts of our draft, but we reached on McDougle, Saunders, and Evans - which were critical picks. These guys may become studs but as of today, it was a reach when compared to who was on board. Taking Saunders over Ellington really hurt. Dozier picked ahead of Cyril Richardson is another head scratcher. I agree McDougle is definitely the swing here, if he pans out, along with our first and second rounders, then that's a B+/A draft. IK and Tajh picks I am not a fan of at all, but we got some really good value from the George, Enunwa, and Reilly picks. Dixon is good developmental player but there were other guys on board that I would have preferred.

11. irishwhip03

It kinda is..but mock drafts are just as silly and I saw about 93 of those on here lol.

12. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I would say a solid B. Big picture, we addressed the areas of need with multiple players - 3 pass catchers and 3 secondary guys. Also added depth on the o line and LB which was also needed. Special teams for sure got a boost this weekend.

The one thing that can be looked at as a theme in this draft are high character, high motor, excitable players which we need on this team.

We also have to consider, coming out of the draft we have all of our 2015 picks and a ton of cap room to make additional moves if necessary before the season starts.

All in all, I would have liked to see a bit more movement in the draft to get guys I thought could have made a more immediate impact on this team, but this offseason overall can be looked at as a real building block to long term, sustained success. If we can wrap up some extensions on a few key guys (Kerley and Mo Wilk) and maybe add a veteran or two in some key positions before the season starts (wouldn't mind another interior o lineman, a pass rusher, and a FS) then we really can field a team that can compete for a playoff spot this year ( I think we can now but would like to see that added depth)

13. irishwhip03

I didnt mind Idzik not moving up.

You move up and all of the sudden that player gets a target on him. Would I have preferred Landry or Robinson over the WR's we picked? No doubt about it. But going the competition way over giving a rookie an undeserved role could be a better way to go.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

This x 100. Even the WR and late rounders we drafted are tough, physical guys that welcome contact.

15. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

None of these grades matter until we see them on the field I'll grade the picks anyway though.
    Pryor A-
    Amaro A+
    McDougle C -
    Saunders C-
    Evans B +
    Dozier B
    George A-
    Dixon D
    Enunwa A
    IK B
    Boyd D
    Reilly A

16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I'd say B+...they addressed every need one way or another and got a lot of bodies at WR and CB. Maybe I would have liked another LB but it sounds like this draft was weak at LB.

17. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Like DoubleDecker said, it's hard to judge these guys.

We for maybe the first time ever, drafted players for every single need on the team, and even double dipped a few times. We got the QB I love, and there will still be some UDFA guys yet that we could like as steals.

The only thing I can complain about is not knowing a lot of the guys in the mid rounds, when there were better prospects available. However last year I didn't want Sheldon at all, and look how that turned out. I don't know what the FO knows. Neither do you guys. So quit your bitchin, and get excited for TC. :)

The 1985er likes this.
  18. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

I give this draft a purple triangle

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  19. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Loved the draft overall. Wasn't perfect, I kinda wanted a blue chip CB, and a QB prospect more promising than Boyd, as well as Clinton-Dix over Pryor, but considering the limitations of real life, I really like our picks as a whole. We addressed our secondary early on, which I thought was very important, and infused the team with young prospects at every position (other than D-Line and running back, where we are already loaded). Some thoughts on each pick:

1) Calvin Pryor: Love the pick, minus is only because I like Clinton-Dix a little more, but our secondary really needed a good FS.
    2) Jace Amaro: Didn't think TE was a big need for us, but this guy seems to be a lot more talented than others that were available to us at that position, so I got no problems with this pick.
    3) Dexter McDougle: Love this pick. Completely caught everyone by surprise, but once you read about the guy, seems like a great gamble. He only had one major football injury in several years of college football (the other one was a scooter accident or something), and other than that, he was a very solid CB. Good speed, good vertical, his measurables are very similar to Kyle Wilson, who went in the 1st round, with one major difference is that McDougle is always looking for the ball, whereas Wilson has yet to raise his head once in the pros. If he can stay healthy, he seems a better prospect than all these other guys that were expected to go to us (Gaines, McGill, Jean-Baptiste, Pierre, etc). I think this is a very good risk/reward ratio for a 3rd round pick.
    4) Jalen Saunders: The best WRs were gone by this point, not sure exactly where he fits in, being a slot WR like Kerley, but maybe Marty can get creative.
    4) Shaq Evans: Just like Saunders, another guy with flaws, but he is bigger, so he might be able to get past Nelson and Hill to pair with Decker as a starting WR, we'll see.
    4) Dakota Dozier: Love this pick as well. The guy is strong and athletic, just a bit raw, according to profiles. He can play Guard for us, possible Center if Mangold gets injured, and who knows, maybe even Tackle down the line. Very good infusion for the OL.
    5) Jeremiah George: His height is a concern, but he played well in college.
    6) Brandon Dixon: Like this pick. The guy has really good speed, not the greatest athlete but not bad either, and kinda raw. Good late round pick-up to compete in the secondary.
    6) Quincy Enunwa: More competition for WR spots.
    6) IK: My guess is he will be converted to OLB, since he is too small to play DE in a 3-4. Kinda slow, but high motor, and strong.
    6) Taj Boyd: Mostly graded as a backup in the NFL, I would've preferred someone with more upside, but he is better than nothing for that third QB spot, since if Ryan didn't put Simms in during Geno's funk last season, I am guessing they have no faith in Simms whatsoever.
    7) Trevor Reilly: Lots of issues (age, knee) but for 7th round, seems like a good pick-up. Either him or IK or both are gonna be groomed as Calvin Pace's successors I guess.

20. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

I really like Jets draft. A bit too many long shot picks to get an A overall, but I give it a strong B.