Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Due to the time of the trade I say A.
    Sam would've gotten us a first if we traded earlier when more teams were looking for QBs. But to get a 2nd and two other picks at this point in the game is a huge win.

Sam gets to go a new team, and grow. He has all the potential in the world, I wish him luck. I hope we dont have a repeat of a Pennington to Miami situation. Pennington has a good year and kills our playoff hopes. I believe we play the Panthers this year, that is why I am bringing up the Pennington situation.

Great trade by JD.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

List the QBR of every other Jets QB in the playoffs. Nacho's was better. That's all I've ever said. Nacho had the best QB performance of any other Jet QB in our playoff history.

barfolomew and azhar80 like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

And all I said is he played ok. He managed the games and made a few okays here and there. We also lost both championship games that he played in.

Yes he had the highest QBR of all the Jets QB's that played in the playoffs. And his 4 year career with the Jets was a total bust. He complete 55.1% of his passes, threw more interceptions than touchdowns and had a passer rating of 71.7.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

this... Chez was a weak link and everyone knew it. youi cringed when he went back to pass.

in the end, it was a very similar feeing when Sam dropped back... you started expecting bad plays....

REVISion, NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He also had the best team. If Andy Dalton was our quarterback we probably go to a Super Bowl in one of those two years at the least especially considering we probably would've been much better in the regular season. In particular in 2009. I don't think Dalton or other mediocre quarterbacks play as poorly as Mark did versus the Bills, Dolphins (2x) or Jaguars.

Either way - Sanchez catches too much flack from Jets fans. Those years were fun and he played fine in the playoffs. It was Rex's defenses that imploded in both playoff games and let the teams down.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yup for sure...it was our D that let us down. Nacho played great (for a Jet QB) but a tiny bit better and we're not having this discussion!

azhar80 likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The GM let him down big time by not replacing the talent that he lost around him. He was never going to be a QB who could carry a team like an elite QB can, but Rex and Tanny thought he could apparently. Major mistake. As you said, Sanchez gets way too much of the blame for the failures of that team.

cval, azhar80, jets_fan and 2 others like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it would have made any difference if they had drafted a slew of HOF level offensive players around Sanchez. I odn't think he had the work ethic or the football intelligence.

9. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

In the beginning I only remember Sanchez looking bad most of the game and solid during 4th quarter. Then Wayne Hunter happened.
    To be fair Sanchez beat out Geno in the QB battle, when most fans said Sanchez wouldnt beat out a HS QB.
    What's most overlooked in my opinion is the offensive system. How does a below 60% completion QB all of a sudden after a shoulder injury complete 70% of his passes? That's what happened with Sanchez. He was horrible with Shotty and Serviceable with Chip. He was horrible with the Skins to be fair.

Jets offense game planning/ system with Gase was horrible besides the opening drives lol. So it shouldn't surprise anyone if Sam becomes a legit starter. Personally I wont be surprised if he is close to a top QB vs a bottom of the barrel qb when he was with us.

10. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I’ve said this since before he was drafted, I stayed with it when he sucked in the nfl, and I will keep saying it when he has some success in Carolina. Sam Darnold’s ceiling is an Andy Dalton type of player. He can play in this league, and when at his best, he can help win 10 games and make the playoffs. However, his team will never contend for more than that, and will never be a threat to win a super bowl. He can be a useful and good player, but he’s not a franchise guy. Andy Dalton put up some good stats and lead his team to a few playoff births with some quick exits. That’s Darnold’s ceiling, in my opinion. Please keep this in mind when he looks a lot better this year: he will never be great. He will be better than average and not great. That’s not the type of guy you want playing QB where your team will be perpetually stuck in the 7-9 to 10-6 first round exit. The jets did well to get a 2nd.

Losmeister, Br4d, Cman68 and 5 others like this.
  11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

re-UNITE Sam w/ Jamal!!!

dmw and barfolomew like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I agree with all of that however his chance to win a Super Bowl depends almost entirely on the defense he plays with.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl and Sam is better than that.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO you're being extremely generous in your evaluation of Sam. I don't see a team he is the starting QB for ever winning 10 games. I think 7-8 wins is his max, and that's probably stretching it. That's with a great D, good players around him on offense, and an experienced, solid CS. In short, I think he sucks.

#253 NCJetsfan, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    JetBlue and cval like this.
  14. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

At the very beginning i was against this and wanted to trade our early pick for a haul and make darnold our guy. I must say i was wrong. I have more confidence in zach than i ever had in darnold. This trade looks better and better.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The Bears just got less for Khalil Mack than we did for Darnold. In case you needed any more proof that this was a fleecing of Carolina.

Losmeister, cval, PJ4Ever and 5 others like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It is interesting that the Panthers traded a 2, 4, and a 6 for Darnold, yet still are looking for a QB and the Colts traded a 1st for Wentz and are still looking for a QB this season. Bad trades. Still, worth a risk. If you don't have a QB, do everything you can to get a QB. They are that important. Now the Commanders took another chance on Wentz and I bet some team will give Darnold another chance too.

Brook! and barfolomew like this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'd call it a good trade for us but not a fleecing. For a 2,4, & 6 they got a starting QB who had a better year than our starter.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They spent a 2, 4, 6 on a QB and one year later they are rumored to be looking at a QB with their top 10 pick. That’s called getting fleeced.

19. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Still very happy with this.

After last season, I wouldn't be supprised if Sam is out the league in 3 years.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

JD good for something then it seems ;)