Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I wasn't a fan of the pick. I don't particularly like McKnight. His vomitting antics drove me bezerk. I honestly don't have a lot of confidence he'll pan out.

I also thought Danny Woodhead didn't belong anywhere near an NFL roster. I no longer feel that way. Guys mature. It's silly to write them off after they've played all of 4 meaningless games.

Rex isn't cutting him. He's not going to play him until he shows he wants to play. The kid has his motivation. Now he's got to take the bull by the horns.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I wasn't a fan of the pick but the guy is a work in progress. Lock this thread until the 2012 season.

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I am not comparing the 2 by any stretch. WSW asked to name a couple of backs that struggled early and became good. These were glaring 1st round guys.

Trust me both heard the B-word associated with their names in year one, Brown especially, man were people upset down here. C. Williams started a house on fire all the Dolphin pundits/fans were crying they took the wrong Auburn back.

#103 Miamipuck, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  4. ........

........ Trolls

In the preseason? Brown was being called a bust before he ever hit the field in the regular season because of a low preseason average and fumbling problems. In his first preseason game (didn't even play in Game 1 because he wasn't ready), he had 6 carries for 20 yards and lost a fumble

5. ........

........ Trolls

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what the benefit is of keeping both Washington and Woodhead. What role do people actually expect this season from the two of them?

Those who feel McKnight should be cut, if he does get it together, what are we going to get out of the other two backs this year that's bigger than what we could get out of McKnight in the future?

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I hope nobody thinks I'm calling McKnight a bust. People are saying he's basically a red shirt this season. That's fine, I get it. I was just trying to remember a similar RB situation as they're generally the easiest plug and play position.

7. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Are you not wearing your helmet today? A nobody since high school? Do you really think you get recruited by USC if you are a nobody?

People were stupid to call him the next Reggie Bush. That wasn't his fault. There may never be another Reggie Bush at the college level. His stats for 2009 were very good:

#4 RB - 2009 Stats: ATT 164, YDS 1,014, TD 8. He also had 146 yards receiving.

By comparison here's Leon's stats for 2005:

430 rushing, 279 receiving, 4 TD's. Though, he had a much better rushing year as a junior with 951 yards and 7 TD's.

Both were 4th round picks, appropriately. Where do people come up with this shit?

8. ........

........ Trolls

They reach up their asses and pull it out.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Maybe they find a way to put him on the PUP list, but I don't see them cutting him.

He is a rookie, and playing like it. He needs to do better on first contact. He shows some shiftiness and some speed. But I agree with those that say he is a bit tentative and needs some seasoning.

And yes, learn to hold on to the ball. Alot of backs get fumbilitis, or does everyone forget Shonn Greene's fumble woes last year.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

There are a million examples of guys who struggled early then got it together but we are comparing guys expected to be feature backs w/ a guy who is expected to be a 3rd down complimentary back.

Those guys were expected to be big time backs, McKnight is expected to be a 3rd down back and they were high 1st rd picks(I think Benson held out too). McKnight has shown us nothing.

Brown only playe din 2 of 5 preseason games in 2005(I'm not sure if he was hurt or held out) but in those 2 games he ran 11 times for 45 yds(4.1 YPC)

Benson didn't play in preseason so how were either of these 2 being called busts?

11. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I love Rex, but he's gotta be fucking kidding.....based on What? Washington and Woodhead are both better football players than this kid. He has tons of potential........just like Gholston does....

...problem is no one will ever see it........Free the spot for a REAL Jet.

McKnight = the "new" Ghost.....

12. ........

........ Trolls

I don't know. Ask the media who were calling Brown a likely bust when the season started based on his preseason performance.

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

There are a million guys expected to be feature backs that were first round picks. Wonderful but WSW asked a question and I answered it. Where did we compare them to MCK? I know I didn't, he asked a question, here to refresh your memory in case you forgot:

RB was typically a position they were expected to come in and produce right away. Now that the NFL is going to RB rotations you are starting to see teams show more flexibility with developing them.

14. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

McKnight is making the team, period. No point in even debating him anymore. If he were a sixth round pick, he might have gotten the ax, but they traded up for him in the 4th. He's not going anywhere, other than to the inactive roster.

Why keep both Washington and Woodhead? I still think Woodhead should be given a shot at being a return man. He can play slot, WR, RB. He might be OK as a gunner if both Clowney and Taylor get cut.

Now, Washington. I don't know why so many are down on him. An active RB corp of LT, Greene and Woodhead is pretty thin. Washinton can run between the tackles, and has been a solid tackler and blocker on ST's. I doubt he clears waivers to be sent to the PS. Just as a ST'er he has value in the NFL. From what I have seen, he can pick up the blitz too. I think he's a bit more than JAP. He plays like a Jet. Doesn't have uber-talent at all, but he's solid.

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Brown was being called a bust down here for sure. I know I heard it, quite a bit. If he is going to argue that Benson and bust were not used in the same sentence, then he isn't worth the time.

Here 2 seconds it took to find this from the Sun-Sentinal:

Brown a bust?
    by: keven lerner October 12th, 2006 | 10:50 AM

But let’s be honest, Ronnie Brown hasn’t shown he’s worthy of being a No. 2 overall draft pick either.

Here’s why:

# He lacks the vision that all top-notch backs possess (Yes, he’s slow to react and seemingly disinterested in reading defensive front alignments and angles taken by linebackers).

# He lacks the explosiveness of many elite runners (Maybe Nick Saban can enlist him in Daunte Culpepper’s explosive-movement program).

# He’s not a game-breaking back (His longest run from scrimmage this season is 27 yards, and the threat of him breaking off a big gain is non-existent).

# He’s too hesitant at the point of attack with no instinctive burst (A big reason he hasn’t had a 100-yard rushing game in nearly a year).

# He’s rushed for a mere 278 yards on 85 carries, a 3.3 average. (Ok, he’s running behind a suspect line, but lacks the ability to create holes that do not exist).

I’m not suggesting for a second that he doesn’t run hard, because he runs about as hard as any back in the NFL. And he did have a respectable rookie season. But his aforementioned running traits make him nothing more than a good back, and certainly not worth a No. 2 pick.

I also think Brown would be more effective with offensive schemes that better utilize his strengths. I’d like to see more screen plays and dump passes thrown to him to give him an opportunity to make plays in the open field.

I think it’s fair to say that Ricky Williams would have far greater success given the same obstacles that Brown faces.

Anyway, Brown should do well Sunday against a Jets defense that ranks No. 28 in the NFL against the run.

Here’s some readers’ opinions posted on this blog in the comment section:

# Ronnie Brown isn’t a bust…yet. Nor is he showing us anything. Yes the line is different but lets not forget that we have been complaining about it for a couple of years now. Ricky could just about run through anything, and Ronnie benefitted from Williams taken the brunt of the load. Good backs make mediocre lines better. Ronnie is not hitting holes quick enough, but he is still learning the game. After all he has always been a part time back. I have been impressed with his ability to break some initial tackles, though. I am just tired of the misevaluations by the coaching staff and scouts on drafft picks and free agents. — Darryn

# Ronnie is not a bust but he isn’t a special back either. Ronnie will never be a special RB. Ronnie Brown has TERRIBLE vision, and not much explosion through the initial hole, but he does run hard. I think he would be a great 3rd down back or goaline back, but he will no way be the guy that we can have carry the team like RIcky could. — Hector

# In no way is Ronnie Brown a bust. Once he gets a decent offensive line to run behind then we’ll see. If he isn’t getting 100 yard games on a weekly basis at that point maybe then we can start calling him the “B” word. — dolfanman13

#115 Miamipuck, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Not only does McKnight not show anything on the field that indicates he's a player but in watching "Hard Knocks" he doesn't seem like he's coachable either.
    If Washington doesn't make this team and this jerkoff does somethings wrong.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Show examples. No sane individual is calling a top 5 pick a bust based on limited action in 2 preseason games so I'd love to see those articles.

I wasn't attacking you, just answering a question and helping you out.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Brown was being called a bust down here for sure. I know I heard it, quite a bit. If he is going to argue that Benson and bust were not used in the same sentence, then he isn't worth the time.

From the Sun Sentinal Blog:

Brown a bust?
    by: keven lerner October 12th, 2006 | 10:50 AM

OK, I won’t go as far as saying that.

But let’s be honest, Ronnie Brown hasn’t shown he’s worthy of being a No. 2 overall draft pick either.

Here’s why:

# He lacks the vision that all top-notch backs possess (Yes, he’s slow to react and seemingly disinterested in reading defensive front alignments and angles taken by linebackers).

# He lacks the explosiveness of many elite runners (Maybe Nick Saban can enlist him in Daunte Culpepper’s explosive-movement program).

# He’s not a game-breaking back (His longest run from scrimmage this season is 27 yards, and the threat of him breaking off a big gain is non-existent).

# He’s too hesitant at the point of attack with no instinctive burst (A big reason he hasn’t had a 100-yard rushing game in nearly a year).

# He’s rushed for a mere 278 yards on 85 carries, a 3.3 average. (Ok, he’s running behind a suspect line, but lacks the ability to create holes that do not exist).

I’m not suggesting for a second that he doesn’t run hard, because he runs about as hard as any back in the NFL. And he did have a respectable rookie season. But his aforementioned running traits make him nothing more than a good back, and certainly not worth a No. 2 pick.

I also think Brown would be more effective with offensive schemes that better utilize his strengths. I’d like to see more screen plays and dump passes thrown to him to give him an opportunity to make plays in the open field.

I think it’s fair to say that Ricky Williams would have far greater success given the same obstacles that Brown faces.

Anyway, Brown should do well Sunday against a Jets defense that ranks No. 28 in the NFL against the run.

Here’s some readers’ opinions posted on this blog in the comment section:

# Ronnie Brown isn’t a bust…yet. Nor is he showing us anything. Yes the line is different but lets not forget that we have been complaining about it for a couple of years now. Ricky could just about run through anything, and Ronnie benefitted from Williams taken the brunt of the load. Good backs make mediocre lines better. Ronnie is not hitting holes quick enough, but he is still learning the game. After all he has always been a part time back. I have been impressed with his ability to break some initial tackles, though. I am just tired of the misevaluations by the coaching staff and scouts on drafft picks and free agents. — Darryn

# Ronnie is not a bust but he isn’t a special back either. Ronnie will never be a special RB. Ronnie Brown has TERRIBLE vision, and not much explosion through the initial hole, but he does run hard. I think he would be a great 3rd down back or goaline back, but he will no way be the guy that we can have carry the team like RIcky could. — Hector

# In no way is Ronnie Brown a bust. Once he gets a decent offensive line to run behind then we’ll see. If he isn’t getting 100 yard games on a weekly basis at that point maybe then we can start calling him the “B” word. — dolfanman13

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't know if keeping Woodhead & Washington is a good idea, but I think one of them should be part of the team as the 3rd RB. If we run nearly as much as last season it would be nice to have a 3rd guy to help eat up the carries. Personally I'd prefer Washington over Woodhead, but they both have upsides. Woodheads versatility may be the deciding factor.

20. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

I can't believe we are arguing over our 4th round pick and upset he isn't coming in and making a huge impact. He's a rookie, yes, he is going to be tentative. But again, you do not know the potential the kid has.

With woodhead you know the floor is probably higher, but have no idea where his ceiling is. I'm glad the Rex is putting him on the team. He needs that experience. Hopefully in games that we put away, we get Joe a few carries and get him adept to the NFL.

We have been spoiled as of late with our draft picks and starting early, but you can't group not starting as a rookie with being a bust.. if Revis didn't hold out, none of our rookies would be starting ( I know wilson would be our main nickel back, but nickel isn't our base defense)

But thats just my opinion..