Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I draw my conclusions by watching with my own eyes. I agree he's more talented than Woodhead and Washington but talent and production are not the same thing.

Personally, I hate the way McKnight runs, and I wouldn't trust him with the football until he changes it. As it is, Rex agrees.

There's no such thing as overlooking talent in the NFL. Players don't make it to the NFL without talent. Even the scrapper types who make it as UDFAs have some talent. No one dons an NFL jersey without talent. Some have it more than others, but it doesn't mean they will be successful.

My McKnight forecast: out of the league in 4 years unless he seriously changes his running style and approach to the game.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The one hope for McKnight is... he'll be working with a Hall of famer in LT, a leader in T-Rich and a good tough RB coach in Lynn... This trio hopefully will get something out of him.

Next TC is when I'll start judjing him... same as Ducasse (but for different reasons)...

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This is not to pounce on you or anything but you do realize the avg players career is 3 and change...... So he is going to be above average on length in the league? RB's almost never last long and are highly replaceable....

Edit: :Like Harpua I really think to my eye and watching his running, if they can get the kids head on straight, he can be a pretty good back.....Granted that is a ton of if's there....

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, I don't get the rush to cut the guy. We drafted him in the 4th round, so we should at least give him another TC. If guys can be patient with Gholston we can be patient with McKnight.

5. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

Haha if we could keep gholston for this long ..i think holding on to Mcknight isnt a problem.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I think everybody was expecting a Leon clone right out of the gate with McKnight....me being included (admittingly).

But sometimes I forget rookies need time to develop....and I'm willing to give McKnight the benefit of the doubt....and see how he progresses.

7. xxedge72x

His draft status and talent will keep him around much longer than he deserves if he never improves. It wouldn't surprise me if he's around for 8-9 years with even moderate improvement.

He definitely has the weapons to be very good but his problems go beyond just putting the ball on the turf or rookie mental block... his physical instincts look as poor as his mental ones. With room he can do great things but in tight quarters he looks like a giant bullseye.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Re: the Greene comparison, I remember watching Greene and saying "man this kid is going to be a difference maker". I was real worried about him staying healthy but I don't think there was ever a concern about what he would bring to the field if healthy. I can't say the same about McKnight right now. Hopefully he gets his shit together if he's so talented.

9. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think a lot of it just boils down to his actual strength or lack their of.

He basically has no muscle tone, just like when LW was drafted. Now LW is built like a brick shit house. Once he gets bigger, faster, stronger, he'll be able to accomplish much more.

10. xxedge72x

I disagree. Go back and watch the preseason games again and watch McKnight's legs when he gets the ball. Watch his eyes and how he moves when he's trying to go somewhere.

Leon never moved like that. Leon always had instincts and quick wit. McKnight is showing none of that. That is where McKnight needs the most improvement, along with protecting the football.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Can anyone remember an NFL RB that took a year or two to develop before being really productive? I'm not trying to cimini, I'm just trying to think of one.

12. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

It would be a horrendous move to cut Chauncey or Woodhead for this clown.

13. xxedge72x

The Derrick Wards of the world maybe... but even that didn't last too long.

Maybe the best example would be Thomas Jones. He was a mega underachiever as a young player in Tampa.

They exist but your general point is accurate I think... they are rare.

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

No muscle tone?.... he looked ok on Hard Knocks, the scene where he was bent over....kidding about the bent over part but he looked normal to me anyhow.

I don't know why a 3rd or 4th RB warrants this much arguing. He is what he is a developmental project. Whether he does or not....meh

Btw Emmitt Smith was a dough boy and it worked out fine for him.

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

It took Ronnie Brown a year, I think..... Cedric Benson.........

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Brown and benson both averaged over 4 YPC as rookies. They showed flashes, so far McKnight has shown us absolutely nothing.

17. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

Cedric Benson

18. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Off the top of my head, maybe Thomas Jones, Brian Westbrook, Priest Holmes.

19. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

Ricky Williams also had a subpar rookie season in New Orleans, only 3.5 yards per carry.

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

We shouldn't compare McKnight to 1st round picks and top-of-their-class running backs.