Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Chauncey Washington looks much better BUT I am not ready to give up on McKnight yet although I hated the original draft McKnight trade Leon move.

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Who's Joe McNight?

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

McKnight runs very high. His legs constantly look planted into the ground like tree stumps. He carries the ball away from his chest. He actually stops moving to evaluate the field before running.

This guy is not NFL ready. I agree with Rex's decision to keep him deactivated until he shows he's ready to play like belongs in the NFL.

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Mcknight has not been impressive at all but it's way too early to talk about cutting him. He gets at least another training camp to prove himself.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I remeber reading the same shit about a rookie running back last year that was injured and had fumble problems.

I guess it would have worked out best for us in the long run if we had Cut Greene and given Woodhead his carries as well.....

Why do so many Jet fans get a hard-on for marginal talents that look decent in the preseason?

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Harpua, I would love to cue the small white guy joke but you have to be serious here. Ahh what the hell I fixed your post...lol

Edit: It works great with your avatar too, maybe you can have a million Woodhead march....

7. xxedge72x

I respect your opinion but I think you're way off on the Greene/McKnight comparison. Greene had rookie problems. McKnight has rookie problems AND looks awful... not NFL caliber awful. Greene never looked nearly as bad as McKnight does.

8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

IMO, when a running back comes to the NFL, they either have "it" or they don't. You can't learn to hit the hole. McKnight has all the physical tools, but does not seem to have "it". Woodhead, dispite all his physical limitations, knows how to play RB.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I honestly haven't seen anything from McKnight to understand why people have such high hopes for him. I don't watch college football though.

10. xxedge72x

"It" in this case would be instincts. McKnight spends way too much time thinking and is way too mechanical in his motions to be successful. If he's ever going to fully take advantage of his talent he needs to develop quick reactions, fluid motions, and needs to learn to protect the damn ball.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

So...your forgeting all the "inactive" jokes becasue he didn't play in the first 3 games, or the 3 fumbles before he hit 70 carries on the season? Greene looked a lot like McKnight, a talent who needs to get his head on right.

McKnight shows flashes of promise and then fucks up horribly. He's a rookie, it happens. Woodhead and Washington play hard, but are limited in thier playmaking ability. They looked decent tongiht against 2nd and 3rd stringers after having a few seasons to get up to this point. They are "just a guy" on any NFL roster. I'll take potential and talent on my 3rd back and give him some time to learn over a player who has proven he is mediocre at best over a few years.

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Fumbles and other nonsense aside, you really do not see that he is more talented than the other 2? Again, I am not defending him, far from it. Just saying.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

this.

I'm not ready to cut bait on him yet though....I want to see if Rex can mold him into a football player during the season...and see what he brings to the table the following season.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm not ready top give up on McKnight but you cannot compare Greene to McKnight. Green only played 2 preseason games but averaged 4.5 YPC, McKnight in addition to his awful ball security has averaged 2.7 YPC. When we saw Greene we saw a aplayer, we don't see that yet w/ McKnight. he hasn't shown anything on offense.

I would keep Washington over Woodhead by the way and if McKnight wasn't a 4th rd pick in a draft where we only had 4 picks I'd keep Woodhead and washington and let McKnight go.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No, not at all. I see a guy that would be good playing on my flag football team, that's about it. I haven't seen too much of him though.

16. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

he looks good on punt returns!

17. xxedge72x

You're focused too much on the fumbles. The inactive part... whatever, that was retarded from the onset.

If you really want to see where the difference is just look at what they do when they actually get the ball. The difference is night and day.

Greene is patient getting to the hole, blasts through the hole, rams people, keeps his legs moving, and has a second burst if he makes it through the second level while managing to protect the football. He struggled with the fumbles early but fixed that problem quickly.

McKnight flies right up to the line not allowing blocks to develop, he misreads holes and changes directions randomly, he hesitates when opportunities are presented to himself, he plants his feet and slows himself down making himself a target for opposing defenders, he carries the ball away from his chest making him a fumble waiting to happen every time, when he does manage to get through he runs out of gas, and he doesn't take full advantage of his shiftiness which is really his only advantage over Greene.

I can see the Jets fixing the fumble problem but its going to take a hell of a lot more to get him to run right and take advantage of the tools he has. I don't see any comparison between the two.

18. perfectpackage99

He's immature, give him a chance.

GO back and think what you were doing at that age.

Some people mature later then others,

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Your focused too much on the two players. No where did I say "McKnihgt is the next Greene" so quit being a silly. I drew a compairison to how Fans react in the preseason. Thats it. The only retarded thing was your over reaction.

My entire pointy is about Jet fans over looking the talent of McKnight, things like using preseason stats as an evaluation for chist sake, instead of realying on thier eyes or history of the player.

McKnight made a beatiful run right before the fumble for almost 20 yards, called back because another preseason fan hard on player in Clowney just had to hold a guy McKnihgt was already past, but lets completely over look things like that, right? Lets over look the pass catching out of the back feild, the ability to survive between the tackles. He has the talent to be a more complete back than either Woodhead or Washington. Both of them are decent at best in a limited role. McKnihgt has the potential to be much more than that. If you can't see it by watching thats too bad.

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

We can afford to be patient with him at least for this season. Give the guy time, and some garbage time carries behind the starting O-Line, and let's see how he does.