Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The stats don't show it because he's not a true RB, even though he became one in the playoffs this year. And Bush's playoff numbers are pretty nice.

He is more dynamic and is used differently and is more of a gamebreaker. His injuries are the reason why he's never brokeout in our eyes, but he always has around 1000 all purpose yards when he's healthy enough. If he played all 16 games he'd have 1000 all purpose each year. I'm on an iPhone so I can't get the numbers in front of me right now, but I know Bush's receptions are always high because of how he is used.

He's a bigger threat on offense and ST than Joe or Leon each snap he plays, and no analyst would disagree with me.

#41 NDmick, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

Injuries have nothing to do with Bush's lack of a notable body of work. He's overmatched. He no longer went from playing on a team that was head and shoulders above the lower tier defenses he played.

He's a useful role player RB and on special teams as a returner, but that's all he is and all he'll ever be. He's a slightly taller version of Leon Washington and those style of backs that was incredibly overhyped and to an extent still is overhyped. If he played on a team that was much more run oriented or on team that didn't have such a top passing attack he would look extremely overmatched at times because he would be facing many more defenders up front to stop the run.

Bush has made the notable improvement of manning up though and running hard, something he did not do at all when he came in the league and looked to just dance around everyone and bounce outside all the time.

So yes, all people in the league who are really commenting on the game and not just playing up in the media, would disagree with you.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

This is the old production vs potential argument...

On paper McKnight has the highest potential out of the three guys... HOWEVER potential means nothing if you can't deliver it on the field.
    Will McKnight ever be able to do it? Maybe ina year?

that's a tough question... if the answer by the CS is yes then we should keep him, if it's no we should get rid of him.

However I have no doubt we'll keep one between CW and DW as a backup since McKnight will be so unreliable this year...

4. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

CW and DW both contribute on special teams anyways, which is why if one or both make the roster, is the main reason why they made the roster.

Their best hope in the short-term is as a 3rd string RB and ST because of the position they play. The influx of RB's every year from college is high and it's tough enough for guys to get and hold onto a top spot at that position even if they have the physical tools and put up numbers.

Woodhead sounds like a lock from Rex's comments, which I'll believe either means Washington has an outside chance at a roster spot or more than likely he hits the practice squad. I do think he's shown enough that they'd sign him there rather than just cut him outright.

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think CW running style suits this team more but DW is a Rex personal favorite and can play some slot WR too... I wonder what Westhoff thinks about them from a ST standpoint...

6. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

I think that's the reason why Woodhead is making the roster. He's more versatile. I think though with what he's shown on offense and on ST that Washington at least makes the practice squad, unless they also put Jason Davis on there. With only room for so many players on the PS, I don't know if the Jets would have two backs on there.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Give any team the option to select either Bush or Leon and they are picking Reggie every time.

I don't get how people don't understand he's a dynamic offensive threat and I'm fully aware that he's not a true RB even though he learned late last season how to run in between the tackles.

8. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

Terrible argument which shows you do not have much of one. Of course teams would pick the guy that hasn't had a compound fracture nor a rod in there leg.

And if you are talking about coming out of college in the draft then yes it's obvious. Bush had all the hype, better stats in college, and bigger build (though not by a ton).

If you are talking about looking backwards after the fact minus Leon's leg injury, I guarantee you there are quite a few if not a lot that would've picked Leon over Bush. At worst similar production and talent, a better leader, and less costly. The only way Bush wins out is in the hype/sales department (it's a cost/benefit analysis situation, would sales offset the higher cost for a similar player).

9. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I hated this guy from the minute we picked him (but was stoked 20 minutes later when we took Conner).

I didn't hate him because he had a history of underachieving, or because I thought he couldn't play. I hated him because if Leon hadn't been an issue at that moment there is no way we would've bothered with him.

Before anyone comes in with the "4th round pick bust doesn't matter" bullshit...Yes, it does. When you only have 4 draft picks they all matter. Granted out of 4 picks we have two lifetime Jets in Kyle and Conner (Vlad is still a huge question) So to whiff on one isn't horrible, but it still hurts.

Washington may just come down to a numbers game. I'd love to see him stay, but it may not happen. But if they cut Woodhead I'm gonna seriously have to start wondering if the "great starters, cheap backups" shit isn't going to eventually kill this team.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I meant in 06. When they were both healthy. Remove the hype over Bush and go by talent alone.

Bush catches out of the backfield better, is faster, and has better vision. I understand he's not a true RB, but with the Saints he isn't used as one until recently.

This isn't an argument I'll ever win over other Jets fans, but I think Bush is better. I think he has more to offer to offenses and special teams.

#50 NDmick, Sep 3, 2010
  11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...can't believe this hasn't been said yet: He was inactive.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Stop being retardedly biased, man.

Look at Reggie Bush's receiving stats and then tell me Washington is the better, more productive.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm completely with you on this - it doesn't matter what you think in this situation, because there's really nothing to think about.

Reggie Bush is the better player.

14. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

It's just not right to get rid of good guys like Woodhead, Taylor or Washington to keep McKnight.

He was a complete failure all preaseason, while those other guys played their Asses off to make the Team.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...it's the fucking pre-season, man.

16. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Danny Woodhead has a burst. He was lucky to break that tackle last night because like Leon it doesn't take much to knock him down but when he has some space he can make guys miss and he accelerates fast.

Chauncey Washington runs hard but I don't know that he's got great vision.

I see Chauncey as a replacement for Greene and I see Woodhead as a legit 3rd down guy who should see the field a few times every week. He is good on specials too.

McKnight, in my opinion, should have to earn his stripes on special teams before the Jets give him a carry.

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Mr. E, your time of the month again :) ?

That said... Washington has a 7.9 avg on 123 receptions, Bush has 7.4 avg on 260. And look at who's throwing the ball to them...

Bush is the better PR, Washington is the better KR.

Washington (pre leg-injury) is a better inside runner than Bush imo.

Bush has more raw talent, speed, body, etc... but Washington makes up for it by playing 100% on every play.

In a perfect world (Bush and Washington both playing at 100% of their capabilites) Bush would beat Leon in everything... but that's not the case in real life 'cause Bush plays to 70-80% of his capabilities.

With McKnight I predict it will be the same thing all over... GREAT speed, chang-of-direction, ecc... but as long as he doesn't play to at least 80-90% of his abilities he's going nowhere. I'm not saying that'll never happen... just that it ain't happening right now.:shit:

#57 Mambo9, Sep 3, 2010
  18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

life isnt fair.

you do realize that there are a handfull of inactive slots every single week which means members of the 53 do not play. It doesnt matter who you stick there every week, they aren't going to play.

So sure you could put Chauncey there, and hes on the roster, but not actually helping us anymore than Mcknight would be in the inactive position.

So I ask you this, if you are going to keep one of the two and have them inactive all season, which one are you keeping, the guy who has flashed his impressive potential, but hasn't grasped the speed of the game, or the guy with very limited potential who has run better this preseason

Chauncey has rushed for a grand total of 75 yards on carries, for an average of 3.75 ypc. Which sadly is not even a good ypc against scrubs who won't be making NFL teams. That counts his long runs this preseason. He also has a great ST tackle which forced a fumble. Chauncey has 2 fumbles

Mcknight has run for 104 yards, on 38 carries for an average of 2.75 yards. While horrendous, it doesnt account for the wiggle and slides we see that shows Joe's potential. He is still hesitating as a runner, and needs to grow into himself. Mcknight also has a 67 yard punt return. Mcknight has three fumbles

Chauncey has pretty much reached his maximum potential. Mcknight hasnt, so if both guys are going to be inactive all season, we might as well keep the guy with the much higher ceiling in hopes he can develop and reach his potential.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Go choke on some spaghetti.

...and of course his average is going to be a little higher with less catches.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

NDmick,

I'm one of the Jets fans that agree with you on this, if I had my choice of Leon or Reggie, I would choose Reggie, if he were on this team with the offensive line we have his size would allow him to run between the tackles and his speed would allow him come out of the backfield.