Good-bye Goodwin..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MiamiJet420, Mar 28, 2006.

1. MiamiJet420

MiamiJet420 New Member

Saints | Team lands J. Goodwin
    Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:02:56 -0800

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the New Orleans Saints have signed free agent OL Jonathan Goodwin (Jets) to an undisclosed contract. Goodwin can play guard or center, which gives the Saints some flexibility.

Hey.. he was pretty good in Madden?!?!?!

2. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

When you're twice as good in a video game as you are in real life (David Barrett), something's up. No big loss here.

3. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Am I the only person on this board who thinks David Barrett is a solid starter?

4. MiamiJet420

MiamiJet420 New Member

Feel ya.. to be honest with you though, I think Barrett will come along fine with Mangini at the helm. He can't make him more talented, but he can certainly make him a better player. If he can convert WR (troy Brown) to corners, he can help this guy.

5. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Solid is putting it nicely IMO...

He'll have more bad games than good, very inconsistent...He'll have a great game, like Pittsburgh in the playoffs or last year against Tampa Bay and Miami, but then just have some horrible games where he gets thrown at left and right.

He's a decent #2 CB and he should be the early favorite to start opposite Miller.

6. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Yes Goodwin CAN play both Center and Guard, but they will soon find out that you don't want him to play either.

7. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I don't know I was just trying to think of a good whipping boy. Without Ty Law, it may be a tough season for Barrett.

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

No, you certainly aren't. I think David Barrett struggled last year due to happy camp with Herman Edwards and he played bad on a bad team.

David Barrett in 2004, was often times taking WR's out of games. He played really solid and I remember Bill Cowher had a quote saying that he REALLY like David Barrett...

I think with some good coaching and a harder coaching staff, this guy could play even better then 04'...another guy I like to do something similiar to this is Justin McCareins...

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I'd imagine teams would throw more on Miller the 2nd yr guy.

But your right without Law Barrett will see alot more balls thrown in his direction.

Like someone said "am i the only one who thinks Barrett is a solid starter?" I believe he is......he will at least buy some time to not make CB a GLARING need.

10. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I think right now Justin is a solid 3rd receiver with more natural talent than a Chrebet. Then again, last year wasn't fair to any of our receivers between the o-line and QB problems. Maybe he could be a solid number two, I certainly hope so.

This thread is getting random!

11. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the front office did not re-sign Goodwin. While he may not be starting material, he is a versatile player who adds depth.

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i think he can get better...still gets burned for the big one a little too often and he cant tackle for ass....but i like his speed and he seems to be a gamer at least

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No, I do as well. people focus on the negative but overall he's been solid since we got him.

Goodwin was a valuable player for us especially now w/ all the uncertainty on the OL. This is not a major loss but it is a loss.

14. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I also think Barret is a solid starter. Not a number one guy or a shutdown corner by any means but he gets the job done and is a good number two guy, no real complaints about him from me

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Solid is probably the last word I would use to describe Barrett. He was playing at a pretty high level towards the end of 04 and into the playoffs however for the rest of his time here he has been constantly picked apart. He plays way too far off recievers in order to defend the deep ball(which he is pretty good at) but meanwhile he will give up 3-4 10 yard completions in a row to avoid getting beat deep.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the uneventful loss of goodwin and the "departure" of mawae tells me that the #29 pick has been reserved for nick mangold.

obviously it does not take a genius to figure that one out but it also gives a clue to the #4 pick......it is far less likely for the jets to use BOTH 1st rounders on OL...... that being said if the commisioner is walking up to the podium at about 2:00 pm on april 29th - he will likely call out a QB.

for who i have no idea.....

boy the jets would give themselves additional flexibility if they could gather another 1st rounder this year......

jil

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I kind of give some guys a pass for last year as the whole tam was brutal. As far as playing so far off the ball all of our DBs seemd to b doing it so it wasn't just Barrett. If Barrett plays to his '04 level I fell pretty good about the corners. ALOT of our guys in '05 underachieved- Barrett, Ellis, Robertson, Vilma was good but not as good as he was as a rookie, Abe wasn't great, Coleman took a step back*(was a bit overrated fromm '04 anyway). We have talent we just need to maximize it.

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Barrett is 28 years old from everything we've seen from him in Arizona and now with the Jets it's a pretty safe bet that the end of 04 was an abberration and he is unlikely to return to that form. Vilma, Coleman and Robertson(I know we disagree on this guy but I'm not gonna argue it here) are all more or less young and still may improve. Ellis was coming off 2 big time seasons so his misstep last year is easier to excuse as well.

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

No...i think hes good..he just needs to stop getting burned so much...but 5 ints isnt so bad...

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I would give the guys you mentioned a pass too because of Herms happy camp.

I do kind of agree with you about Barrett though. The thing that puzzles me about what some posters above are saying that since Law will not be here...Barrett will get most of the passes thrown his way...what does that mean exactly. With Law here...Barrett was picked on already....and exposed numerous times. If Miller is the other starter...I would think Barrett would be less picked on to start. If he is picked on again this year...it would pretty much show that not only did teams go after him last year because of Law...but because you can.

Bottom line is that Im basically OK with giving them all a pass...this team was unprepared physically and mentally from day 1 of preseason...they all get a pass.