Good article on QB scouting process and how we chose Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 3, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I said your opinions, as in football ball opinions. However, if you reference my name, I will respond provided I see it and have the time. It’s really slow at work at the moment so I got the time.

2. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Here are some facts. Below are the QB's taken in the first round since 1990. A lot of the ones that were "successful" weren't really anything special, they were just good enough to have long careers (Jay Cutler).

Also, keep in mind that players like Trubisky were picked ahead of Mahomes (won't even mention you-know-who). Now, depending on who you count as "serviceable" and "great", I get 22 servicables and 12 great out of that bunch, meaning there is a 1/3.5 chance of getting a serviceable QB in the first round, 1/6.5 of getting a great one.

A thought: The 2011 draft had 4 QB's in the first round (Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder) but were they really better than the two taken at the top of the second round (Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick)? When you get down to brass tacks, none of them won a Super Bowl.

It's a crap shoot. Wait and see.

jeff george
    Andre ware
    dan McGwire
    Todd Marinovich
    dave klingler
    tommy maddox
    dave brown
    drew bledsoe
    rick mirer
    heath schuler
    trent dilfer
    steve mcnair
    kerry collins
    jim druckenmiller
    peyton manning
    ryan leaf
    tim couch
    donovan mcnabb
    akili smith
    daunte culpepper
    cade mcnown
    chad pennington
    michael vick
    david carr
    joey harrington
    patrick ramsey
    carlson palmer
    byron leftwich
    kyle boller
    rex grossman
    eli manning
    ben roethlisberger
    j. p. losman
    alex smith
    aaron rodgers
    jason campbell
    vince young
    matt leinart
    jay cutler
    jamarcus russell
    brady quinn
    matt ryan
    matt stafford
    mark sanchez
    josh freeman
    sam bradford
    tim tebow
    cam newton
    jake locker
    blaine gabbert
    christian ponder
    Andrew Luck
    Robert Griffin III
    Ryan Tannehill
    Brandon Weeden
    EJ Manuel
    Blake Bortles
    Johnny Manziel
    Jameis Winston
    Marcus Mariota
    Jared Goff
    Carson Wentz
    Paxton Lynch
    Mitch Trubisky
    Patrick Mahomes
    Deshaun Watson
    Baker Mayfield
    Sam Darnold
    Josh Allen
    Josh Rosen
    Lamar Jackson
    Kyler Murray
    Daniel Jones
    Dwayne Haskins
    Joe Burrow
    Tua Tagovailoa
    Justin Herbert
    Jordan Love

Ron

Jets81 likes this.
  3. legler82

Did you sign your post at the end?[​IMG]

abyzmul and K'OB like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

AFAIK Wilson has had only ONE shoulder surgery, over two years ago.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

But he really has to work on improving the ball fake. Maybe the Jets could bring in Penny to tutor him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. legler82

I know he had an issue with his left shoulder (see below). Did he not get that fixed yet? In addition, there was the hand injury and surgery as well. What does the fact it was 2 years ago have to do with the point and the question asked about the QBs he was being compared against? It’s fine you and the Jets are comfortable with it but I don’t fault those that are concerned. I’m old enough to remember when folks were dismissive about Dee Milliner’s injury history coming into the league.

https://universe.byu.edu/2019/06/18/zach-wilson-explains-shoulder-injuries-on-media-day/

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Chief. Less gifs going forward please :)

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

The fact that he's played two years on the repaired shoulder, taken some big hits, and thrown lots of passes, and there hasn't been any issues is what two years has to do with the point.

And I didn't "fault" you for being concerned. Talk about being sensitive.

As for Dee Milliner, he was significantly injured multiple times and had five surgeries before being drafted. I can't believe you'd even compare Wilson to him. When Milliner was drafted with the 9th pick by the Jets I almost threw a shoe at the tv. It was one of THE WORST picks in Jets history IMO. Not only was he a walking injury waiting to happen, but he was a CB! WTF! It was obvious - or should've been - that Sanchez wasn't the answer at QB, they also needed - as they had already for years - a pass rusher, or they could've started rebuilding the OL, worst case taken an elite WR, but a fucking CB with #9 pick, and a cripple to boot?

Yeah, Wilson's just like that.:rolleyes:

9. legler82

How am I sensitive? I said I don’t fault anyone, as in others. I think the injury thing is valid but it’s not at the top of my concerns list. Also I didn’t say you did. If the shoe doesn’t fit, no need to dance.

Talk about being sensitive, I’m comparing dismissing injury history concerns predraft. Though I wasn’t a fan of the Milliner pick for other reasons, I was one that thought the whole injury/surgery history concerns thing was being overblown. Since Milliner, I no longer fault those that have injury history as a red flag even if it’s not a major issue for me.

10. ColoradoContrails

This was the post you responded to of mine:

You responded with this weak attempt at dismissing my post that was simply meant to clarify your previous assertion that Wilson had multiple shoulder surgeries.

Note, that my post simply stated a fact, included no snarky rejoinders, or in any way disparaged you, and yet you got your panties in a bunch. I guess that's the side effect of engaging in so many pissing contests that you automatically assume someone's out to flame you. I wasn't, but you responded as though I had.

Yeah, sensitive.

11. legler82

Snarky, as you call it, is part of the package; I call it charm. It doesn’t mean I’m sensitive nor diminish the validity of points made and/or questions raised.

1. He also needed surgery on his left shoulder. If he hasn’t done that yet, then I wish to correct my original question to “how many on that list [NEEDED] multiple surgeries?”.

2. What does 2 years ago have to do with injury concerns? Is 2 years some universal acceptable time gap to ignore injury history?

I thought you mr response to this was pretty WEAK myself but kept it to myself. However, since we are sharing, there you go.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

except it's exactly what you do.
    you ignore valid counter points to your argument, then reply with snark and gifs. 0 ability to actually have a conversation and debate things. it's either agree with me or I ignore your good points and go into troll mode. overall it's not a good package you are bringing to the table.

here i'll give you the leglar draft bio

positives
    - has been right about a few QBs

negatives
    -has been wrong about players
    - 0 tact
    - activates troll mode way too early and often
    - displays no ability to be flexible and have a conversation
    - oversensative when someone gives him back snark

Overall I expect leglar to go undrafted in TGG forums as he doens't bring much to the table, but if he can work on his negatives, most are very fixable, then he could make a forum as an UDFA otherwise expect more
    [​IMG]

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Be careful or you will be called a stalker, lol.

The size/weight thing didn't become an issue until the Fields' fans ran out of shit to complain about. It's funny it's still being thrown around. The best is the notion that he can not put on more muscle. You would think his dad was a Nigerian marathon runner.

#93 bicketybam, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    NCJetsfan, LAJet and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. legler82

Not everyone needs to write a novel with every post to make a point. Thanks for sharing though.

15. legler82

It’s not at the top of my personal list but I think it’s valid. It does seem to be a trigger though among certain fans. Then again anything and everything that is remotely critical of Mr. Wilson is a trigger now these days. #NegativeFacts

#95 legler82, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

With Wilson's lightening quick release, asute pocket presence and the Jets committment to the OL, I am not very worried about him taking a beating. Now if he had issues reading defenses, had a delivery that was as slow as molasses and had a tendency to run when he couldn't find his receivers, then yeah, I'd be worried.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Who would draft Ron in the first round, he was bloody rubbish

18. GasedAndConfused

well some like to actually put in effort and have a real conversation. which takes more then snarky 1 liners and gifs. but not everyone is capable of that i guess ;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. legler82

If it was that easy, I wouldn’t be so popular.

20. GasedAndConfused

i'd like to use the term "notorious" ;)