GM Interviews To Start This Week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

He left room for himself to be considered right.

He said right now so if we hire Douglas he can say we upped the money or whatever.

He covered all bases.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Geez...how much does a GM earn?

I picked the wrong career...

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm beginning to think you don't know what that word means.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Some of you seem to be saying that if your preferred hire wants $1M/yr more than you’re offering, then you should always cave no matter how reasonable your offer is.

Maybe Douglas doesn’t even want the job but wanted the interview experience and now he’s purposely asking for way too much as a tactful way of declining. This doesn’t strike me as too far-fetched.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In this case, yes you should cave. A good GM is worth a lot more than 1 million dollars more than a lesser GM. And asking for too much money isn't a tactful way of declining, it's disrespectful. If you want to tactfully decline you politely say you aren't interested.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

a lot of people don't. I see it all the time. the term 'literally' is apparently not meant to be taken literally o_O

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Ive done that before.

8. BrowningNagle

I'll bet anything. ANYTHING that the money has to do with his staff and operations and not his personal salary.

You'd be surprised at how little scouts and analysts make. I imagine the jets are one of the cheapest operations in the league there anyway... the Jets organization doesn't believe in analytics so they don't see the need for an innovative, large front office and the Johnsons are traditionally cheap when it comes to staff.

Douglas doesn't want to come in and make $2mil a year with a handful of people around him making $45K or something. it makes it hard to approach colleagues to join him and he knows it makes it more difficult to find success that way. Good for him, I hope he gets the Jets to cave and if they don't - I hope he stays in Philly, maybe the Johnsons will learn a lesson

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I find it lauaghable that we are being cheap there. What is a few million dollars here or there when the difference could mean potentially billions if the franchise is successful. They already embarrassed us once this offseason, just do the right thing and sign this guy.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Fuck it.

If we're cost cutting...let Gase continue as GM/HC.

What could go wrong?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m literally seeing potential with this one.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What I find most laughable is the overreaction by some over an unsubstantiated rumor by a nobody. Thus we are basically passing judgment on a selection that has not been made, based on a faint rumor as to who the front runner was, from a pool of arguably very good talent, and related to money/ cheap negotiating without really having any facts to back that up. This literally makes zero sense to me.

#332 LAJet, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

My favorite butchery of "literal" happened during a SportsCenter about 15 years ago. The hosts were fond at that time of saying that ballplayers hitting balls into the gap were "shopping at the Gap."

Finally one of these ballparks put up a billboard for Gap on the fence in the gap.

Dude mashes one into the gap where the sign is. SC host is like, "And he goes shopping at the Gap. LITERALLY."

abyzmul likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

I can't imagine Gase playing along with cheap ownership. He knows this is his last chance to be a head coach, and we know from Miami that he isn't above telling off the owner.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If that's the case, Douglas is even smarter than reported, and should DEFINITELY be the guy they hire and to give him whatever he wants as far as staff budget. If Chris is sincere (which I doubt) and wants to hire someone as the "architect" of building the Jets into a winner, he'll open his checkbook and sign Douglas now. "Money talks; bullshit walks". My bet is we'll see some walking here pretty soon. SOJ!

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

I hope ownership realizes the Darnold era is their last chance with the fanbase.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Even though this is only speculation at this point, why is it the Jets have to be held over a barrel by a guy who is the next flavor of the month in the NFL executive circle?

Douglas has not held the role of GM and has not proven that he can establish a blueprint for a team and carry it out. Johnson has already seen how giving control to an unproven potential GM has failed.

If he were a Caldwell or Dorsey hell yes I'm opening the checkbook, but Joe the plumber wants to be treated as if he already has been successful as a GM no thanks.

It's called moving up the ladder and earning it, take a salary commensurate with experience and when he becomes a successful GM, make them pay.

All Gas No Shake, FJF and LAJet like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Red Menace likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

its not HOTJ. Hess lasted like 40 years and he was a disaster. then he hired Parcells and all was forgiven

20. HomeoftheJets

Not last chance in the sense of fans not showing up. Last chance in the sense of getting the benefit of the doubt from fans. Like how there was hope Chris would be better than Woody. Blow this and they're in the same league as Dolan and the Wilpons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.