Glennon or Mallett

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 4, 2015.

?

Who would you rather the Jets bring in this offseason

Poll closed Mar 4, 2015.
  1. Mike Glennon

58.6%
  2. Ryan Mallett

41.4%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It'd be a lot more than Nick Foles to get that deal done. Enough more that the Jets were bullet-proof against Mariota becoming a star. Maybe the 20 + 52 + 2016 1st and Foles.

We've had billboards. The Jets will play it safe in every thing they do for awhile.

2. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

Of course more than just Foles but I take that deal every day of the week. I personally don't like Mariota as a prospect.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the Jets take the best player on their list on the 6 unless they perceive a huge drop off in value at that point. If Mariota is that player they'll just take him. If he's not then they'll probably look to trade the pick down some. I don't think they'll look to trade down as far as 20 though. They'll probably just try to trade down a few slots and pick up an extra 2nd in the process.

Axel3419 likes this.
  4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think Glennon had potential and actually would like him on the squad.. The 2 things that erk me are that he was a back up QB on the worst team in the league and he will cost a pick.

5. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I want our QB to be either Mariota or Geno next year.

6. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Mallett. Glennon looks like a cross between Idzik and Napoleon Dynamite

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You make some good points. Maybe you're right that Bradford may be released and if not might not cost a high draft pick. Still, there's the injury thing that has to be a concern. Yes, Hill is 35, but if the Jets get Mariota in the draft, they may need only a stopgap for a year. Geno could also become more solid within a year. I'm not gonna hold my breath on that, but stranger things have happened. At any rate, that's why I favor Moore. He's only 30. He's stayed healthy and hasn't taken a lot of pounding over the last 3 years. If there was a guarantee that Bradford wouldn't cost so much, could stay healthy, and wouldn't cost any draft picks, I'd be on board for him as well. I just don't think the Jets should give up any draft picks. They need all they have, especially after Idzik wasted 9-10 of them last year.

Noam likes this.
  8. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I don't know, I just can't see a guy with a name like Zack Mettenberger being a star QB.

#68 The_Darksider, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  9. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

This year I'd say so qb crop in the draft is weak as ever

10. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I would never jump ship on the Jets but if we got Manziel I would have a really tough time rooting for them

11. kleckotheman

kleckotheman Member

If Marriotta falls to us I would call the Eagles that split second. They have the 20th pick but it would take just about their entire draft to move up to 6.
    And Kelly might just do that. He wants Marriotta that bad.

I could imagine Foles, their 1, 2, 3, 6 this year plus a 1 and 2 next year.
    Problem with Foles is he can't run at all and that negates a big part of the spread offence attack. That's why he takes such vicious shots. He has minimum protection in the spread and doesn't offer the threat of running so defences tee off knowing he is a target back there. Even when he gets the ball off he gets hit. He is faaaar superior to Geno though.

As for Glennon, I actually like him and I never understood why, after a fairly impressive rookie season, they chose to sign McCown to start.
    McCown had one good season, is older, and frankly was never going to be a long time solution.
    Glennon was far more impressive than Geno, and he gets benched.

12. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Huge Glennon fan. Can't wait until he proves the doubters wrong tbh.

Hmm, a 29:15 TD: INT ratio, and close to 60% completion, all with one of the worst olines and running games in the NFL?

Yeah, sounds like a guy with no shot to be good. Because's he's ugly and stuff. And the Bucs gave up on him. They must be right.

Granted, he's dependent on getting a good offensive line. I'd use my top pick on an olineman, trade a 4th for Glennon, and use the other 4 picks to get depth. Then, Glennon/Geno compete. Glennon wins. If he plays well, you have your QB. If not, you draft someone high next year.

Murrell2878 likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

What if he agreed to change his name to Flash Gordon?

The_Darksider and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The thing that interests me about Glennon is that when he was starting and had the confidence of his coach, he threw twice as many TDs and he did INTs. Our guy is lucky if he breaks even in that department. Now i have only seen Glennon play part of ONE pro game. But that stat interests me.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I would say Bradford MAY be available from what I have heard, but to say he will, where do you get that from? Imo the Rams are going to keep him even if they add another Qb.

16. Big Blocker

I agree that remains a big question. The answer would depend on the total package, as in such a situation the Jets would have a certain amount of leverage with the Eagles.

But... I still don't see Mariota falling to 6.

17. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

No one should be stupid enough to hand Chip Kelly MM no matter what the price

18. Big Blocker

I could be quite wrong about this, but among the current vet Qb names that MIGHT be available, I think Foles is the best fit for the Jets. You may be right about how the new guys will see the politics of it all, but here's the key about Mariota - I think the Jets odds of taking him at 6 and keeping him go up if they also have picked up a vet Qb in FA by then. Or trade for Cutler.

As between Bradford and Cutler, my take is that the Bears should be more willing to move him because he's unpopular. So the logic there is it should take sigificantly less to trade for him. How this relates to strategy in the draft overall is that presumably the Jets would have to give up more draft picks to get Bradford than Cutler, and imo the new guys will not want to go into their first draft with fewer rather than more picks. Add in that Bradford, who I don't see as too fragile, is more fragile than Cutler, and that is the more likely possibility.

But the odds of either Cutler or Bradford coming to the Jets are, to be clear, rather small. More likely is the Jets get someone of lesser stature, perhaps someone not even assured of beating out Smith. In that case I think the pressure would increase to do a deal with Philly if Mariota in fact fell to 6.

But you may be right and the politics becomes too large a factor, and the Jets might well end up with Mariota, Smith, Simms and someone like Mallet, with Mariota virtually redshirted and the other three fighting it out.

19. Big Blocker

Imo Mariota is a top prospect to be sure, but Foles could upgrade the O instantly, and is a better fit for the Jets' offense. Mariota might develop into a Qb who can play a NFL type offense, but there's some question about it.

In any event it would depend on how much else the Eagles give up.

And why should the Jets care if Philly gets the type of Qb Kelly wants to run in his system? They are not even in the same conference.

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I'm becoming more and more of a Glennon fan because there is so much unnecessary dislike and unknowledgeable writing off of him.

This guy had a great rookie season indeed; just look at his numbers - they're extremely impressive for a rookie QB yet alone a 3rd round pick. Then, in comes the new regime who doesn't favor his style of play at QB and goes with McCown, who was terrible and who Glennon even outplayed this season, but they stuck with him anyway. Almost makes me wonder if they were gunning for the number one pick in those last few games...

Regardless, he's out of favor with this team. No doubt. They'll draft a QB and McCown will be his tutor. Glennon seems like a lock to be gone and hopefully can be had for a conditional mid round 2016 pick (reasonable, IMO, as Tampa didn't exactly care to boost his trade value by starting a more inept QB over him). He's got an arm, accuracy, and has already shown he can play in the NFL through 19 starts.

This guy is a great option for QB competition and would probably leave Geno on the bench fast. He's outplayed him by miles so far in the NFL and it isn't even close.

(And he might be a big seemingly immobile pocket passer, but he took a lot fewer sacks than McCown in 2014 controlling for games played and didn't lose a fumble, so he has some savvy in the pocket)

BrowningNagle and Murrell2878 like this.