Giants Stadium: Drunk Driving Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by Section 227. Row 5, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Kolber, I guess you didn't read my above post or I'm just not making my point clear enough for you. If I am the "people who say things" in your above post (several above this one), and you're still clammoring about this because you see it as somehow hypocritical, then obviously I'm not getting home here.

So let me reiterate please: I'm not saying I drank when I was young but today people shouldn't drink. And I'm not saying I drove when I was young, but today people shouldn't drive.

But I AM SAYING that I used to drink and drive and I AM SAYING people shouldn't do that anymore. Now if you have a problem with that and you think that's hypocrasy, that's just too f*cking bad and to disagree with that line of reasoning in today's world is just plain f*cking wrong.

2. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Not necessarily. Look at ski lift tickets. You don't sign it, but you better believe there isn't a damn thing you can sue that facility for.

3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I understand that not everyone can pay, so they go up the latter to find someone who can. If the meadowlands gets sued, thats fine. I just dont like when everyone is blaming someone else for serving them drinks. People who are over 21 should be responsible.

4. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

The only way big corporations or Government for that matter will take a active role is when they have to PAY! Everyone who has gone to a game can see the amount of beer and liquor being consumed is huge :drunk: . Add in the $7.00 beers and a 6,000 lb SUV and you can see how lifes are lost. Until it hurts the stadium operators and NFL owners get hurt by lawsuits such as these not much will be done. Before I step off my soapbox I was one of these guys who drank just for the "buzz" but now that I'm a father I see the other side.

5. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

In my opinion, our entire society ignores that we have a problem with drinking and driving. For example, why is it that a police officer cannot simply park out in fromt of a bar and pull over people who exit the bar and drive away? It's my understanding that they are not allowed to for fear that it will affect the business of the bar and there may be a lawsuit (I could be wrong as i'm an accountant and not an attorney). Isn't it probable cause to see someone leave a bar and assume they have been drinking?

Why can't police officers simply park on the shoulder of route 3 or 120 and pull people over as they exit the game?

I attend about 4 games a year and only drink maybe 3 or 4 beers in the parking lot before the game. When I get inside I'm too exited aboutt he game to keep getting up and waiting on the bathroom line or the beer line.

I know a lot of people that are still pounding in the parking lot after the game waiting until the traffic dies down. Those are the problem individuals if you ask me.

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I got a heavy mallet you can borrow if you want to pound it into his head. :lol: I completely agree with you on this. He can call it hypocrisy, I call it wisdom. :)

7. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I am not calling Section a hypocrite. It's not hypocricy. It's "do as I say, not as I did." I happen to agree with him on this issue - even though drinking and driving was more acceptable in the past, there should be stricter rules now. I just don't like the logic of "I did this and, therefore, I know how bad it is so you can't do it."

8. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If you want to get drunk at a game, thats fine. Just dont drive. If you do drive then you and hit someone you need to go to jail for a long time so you will learn a lesson.

9. Section 227. Row 5

I believe society "matures" and evolves and learns from the past. This is part of what makes us different from other animals. What was socially acceptable in 1965 was not in 1985 and differs still today, otherwise we'd still all be harboring slaves and preventing our wives and daughters from voting and thinking these are fine ideas.

So yeah, drinking and driving has become a recognized problem as well it should be and while it may be unacceptable to some to have cops target bars today, that may not be the case 10 years from now.

But we certainly shouldn't confuse "fun" with drinking and driving. Yeah, it was fun to drink when I was young, but I don't think I ever considered it fun to drink and drive. It was just a necessity after drinking and not planning ahead. And certainly no one ever thought a "designated driver" was anything but wussy, so no one went there either. But things are different today and that's the bottom line. Recognizing stupid behavior and taking actions to correct it is smart and what makes society evolve into a better living situation for everyone.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Okay, Jetzz, I think I need the heavy mallet now.

11. WesleyWalker

WesleyWalker New Member

...If you can't get drunk by halftime your not very good at it. They need to start dealing with fans on an individual basis. If they appear to be intoxicated whatsoever, they should be refused alcohol. If they make a fuss about it, show them the door. God Damn dopes just can't go and watch a football game they have to get tuned up put OTHER people at risk...

12. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

2-4 beers should be enough for anyone (no matter your weight or tolerance) to get a DWI. Not sure if it's .08 or .1, if you feel the slight of slightest buzzes you are drunk in the eyes of the law (you don't even have to feel it to get one). And even if you fall on the exact %, it is in the discretion of the officer to give your DWI or not. And no excuse like "i don't feel drunk" will work (unless you know people).

If you want to avoid it, just don't drink at all. get a case and drown yourself at home and watch the game (which is what i do, minus 18 beers). I and many of my friends have got at least 1 DWI in the past 10 yrs. when you're younger, you never think you'll get one until you do. lesson learned and i'll never do it again. thankfully i never hit anyone or anything during those binge days.

13. Gator

Gator Active Member

Won't work. Drunks will just find some non-drunk to get them beer. Next!

14. Section 227. Row 5

Going to the games has gotten better, it really has, fellas. It used to be much worse. I stopped going to Rangers games because of the fights. Philadelphia Flyers fans were the worst. In the 70's, guys would throw beer down on you, curse at you, you couldn't bring your kids. So then I started going to the Jets games when I got my tickets when they moved from Shea.

But in the mid-late '80's, people were coking it up right in the stadium, I kid you not! And lots of drunks. And there were many more fights and many more drunks than you have today, so the stadium and it's policies have improved and become more "family friendly" over the years. There's still room for improvement, and for sure the alcohol thing is probably the next thing that needs to be looked at again, but I enjoy going to the games even moreso today. I like the tailgating, drinking moderately and responsibly and I really enjoy cutting off the booze before I go into the game, so I can actually watch the plays, for crying out loud!

Hey, I'm older now, so throwing punches gets harder and the recovery time is longer. Besides, my dentist is tired of repairing my cracked teeth and my wife tries to break up fights and ruin all the fun. So the whole thinkg has degenerated into me sitting there amongst all the drunks who stand up and block my view and then damn-near run into the side of my car pulling out of the parking lot and I just try to enjoy the game and see what the hell is happening.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Eventually the answer will be to ban alchohol sales in venues that promote drunk driving afterwards. We're a ways down the road from that though.

I believe there will be a bunch of lawsuits (small bars have already been closed down in many cases because the owners did not have the money to fight in court) that will veer back and forth and eventually alcohol will be a substance that is used primarily in the home and not in public.

We're seeing many public health related initiatives trump economic interests at this point, mainly the cigarette bans of recent years, and it's clear that alcohol is going to be the next big target. We're on a little sideshow with the transfats thing at the moment, but transfats are suicide for the person who abuses them and alcohol is homicide and that distinction is going to steamroller anybody who tries to get in the political path of safe-alcohol reform.

Edit: Think how different this country would be right now if Teddy Kennedy and George Bush had both been disqualified from citizenship for their drunk driving indiscretions?

#55 Br4d, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  16. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

just because some people can't control themselves at football games doesn't mean everyone else should have their personal rights violated

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How would having to blow into a tube to determine if you were abusing alcohol that day interfere with your personal rights?

And you do not have the right to abuse alcohol in public, so let's get that one out of the way before we start this argument. New Jersey's public intoxication laws are very clear.

Edit: gonna have to edit this one. Was unable to find any New Jersey laws regarding the mere fact of intoxication. All the applicable statutes are regarding behavior after the fact. E.g. Drunk and Disorderly, Driving While Impaired, Creating a Public Nuisance, etc. Which of course means that the laws need to be modified a bit.

#57 Br4d, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  18. Gator

Gator Active Member

Sure it does. It starts in school where the teacher warns you if one kid does something, the whole class suffers. In the army or a sports team, if one guy messes up everyone has to do laps or pushups. Somebody blows up the subway and everyone gets their bags checked. Just the way it is.

19. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

<<<Hands over heavy mallet>>> I was just thinking the same thing... :grin:

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Unfortunately we sometimes learn through hindsight. We don't see the detriment of what we are doing until we are older and wiser, or until we have done something tragically wrong (like getting someone killed). So you have learned a lesson and now you can't say anything bad about it or try to change things because you were guilty of it before? Who better to educate than those that have lived and learned?