Gholston may not be the starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Blitz4Life, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

No he won't but there IS that normal learning curve coming from college to the pros and going from primarily being a DE with his hands in the dirt to a stand up OLB.

Plus you have to take into consideration, he missed most of the OTAs because of that stupid Ohio State rule.

Gholston WILL NOT be the next Aundray Bruce, nor will he be the next L.T. he will be just fine and he'll pick up the D in time, look at it as this being his actual OTAs, his TC awareness will not transpire until the time the season starts and he probably won't get comfortable with the D until well into the season, look for him IF he does not allow the NY fans and media to get into his head, to have a decent rookie season and shine towards the end given the opportunity.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

IMO the guy needs to be playing the full game by week 8. If not then there is something wrong.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Very true. Living in the middle of Steeler country for so long I'm used to seeing the "adjustment" period to the 3-4 for guys. Most get some playing time in year one and if they are not set by year two you know something is not clicking.

Hope is the key word. I hope Vernon is fine. I think he will be. I have little doubt that after one game most will be singing the praises of Jenkins. I like the confusion the system can bring is staffed and played correctly. I feel we have gone in the right direction player wise. Coaching wise has yet to be seen.

4. Bigoljetairliner28

Bigoljetairliner28 New Member

speaking of which...

nice avatar evo!

5. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

I hope he starts soon, him playing next to Vilma = SICK!!!!!!!!!!

j/k. I have not been gone THAT long. The preseason will tell a lot, let's wait until atleast the preseason games are over before we declare him starter or fodder....

6. JetsLookingforDWare

Seriously, he's not gonna start?

WTF did we pick him for then?

God this franchise is retarded.

Thanks for the news OP.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I would have no problem with Gholston not starting if we had a decent veteran. If BT is decent than he dogged it last year because his play sucked last year.

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I thought Gholston was the second coming of God?

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Think about what we've learned about Revis, though - he was given simple assignments just to get him out on the field and play. I know Gholston has a different position, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar approach. I don't know if he'll play a full game, but I bet he will be a fixture in the base lineup by midpoint of the season - not saying he will be GREAT by midseason, just ready to play.

10. JetsLookingforDWare

Try reading a Jets board then.

I mean we're a week into training camp and people are flipping their shit cause a rookie might not start in week 1...no preseason games...no consideration about learning a new position...the fact that "not starting" is not the same as "not playing" can be ignored...

#50 JetsLookingforDWare, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I bashed the pick because we didn't need need to waste our top pick on a corner. The results of last season showed I was right.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don, our first round draft selection last year wasn't the reason we went 4-12. That's the most pea-brained argument I've ever heard.

I'm convinced now. You are rajensen. Same cowardly trolling posts.

13. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

i dont get why its such a big deal, we almost all knew he would be a situational player until he could grasp the game at an NFL speed.

14. Phyr

Phyr Member

He had two sacks during the Green and White game. Even if he only plays 3rd down, he will be an immediate contributor.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Pompus and off target. Who would you want as our starting corners, Poteat and Miller, maybe Barrett?

The Revis pick was a very good if not great one. If the results of last season, a rookie corner being our best by a mile and getting praise from several players, is not enough, then go stick your head back in the sand to come along a bitch next year.

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Actually just wait till Don posts again then you will probably say the same thing. I think he plays a one upmanship game with the other Gangreen retard, RaiderJoe. Out of the top 10 dumbest posts ever uttered here (excluding Champ because he is grandfathered) those two have 9 of them.

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Bro you are better off finding a dead squirrel on the side of the road and using logic with it then arguing with don.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

On topic........ to be honest with the Jets depth at LB, I never expected Gholston to start from the get go.

I am perfectly fine with him learning the ropes of a new position and growing into it. Playing OLB in a 3/4 is not exactly easy.

It worked out just fine for Harris last year, I suppose he was a bust as well going into week 3-4-5, looked how he turned out. With all the talent and athletic ability of Gholston, there is no reason why the Jets can not find lightening in a bottle.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

In "we should have traded up for the other guy news" Chris Long is going to take just as long as Gholston to adjust to the pro game, as his head is "swimming" also.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/08/05/mail/index.html

Chris Long is still very much in the learning-curve part of training camp and will start opening day, but don't look for him to have much impact early. I'm told his head is swimming as he goes through a major adjustment from college. But that's to be expected in a pro defense, particularly in one that will rely on him so heavily to be a big factor early.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Damn I hate when you are right. Stop pointing sensable things out like that.

:smile: