Gholston is a load now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Aug 2, 2010.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Pace was actually playing ROLB when they went into 4-3 a lot of times last season. That core starter line is probably just for show, anyway, Rex moves players all over the place.

Whenever they shifted into nickel and dime sets they went heavy on pass rushers. There was a number of times in the playoffs where the line looked like Thomas/Ellis/Devito/Pace.

2. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

I saw the press conference...not having a "4-Man-Line" those 4 men will be rotating in on the line w/ Gholston as the back-up DE...Most likely have Jenkins and DeVito start with Pouha rotation in with them and Ellis start with Gholston relieving him.

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I really hope you guys are not expecting huge sack numbers out of Gholston to define "productive". In this defense productive to me is hold the line, occupy blockers, make sure you protect the backside of the D and occasionally disrupt the line in passing plays...... that would be outstanding.

He would get Ellis, Devito, Pouha etc a rest. That would be a revelation for him imo. As someone said he doesn't need to be Seymour and expecting him to become RS is preposterous. Face it, he is never going to live up to his draft billing but so what, he doesn't need to. All he needs to do is simply become productive.

#163 Miamipuck, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I hope he can do a good job and make steady improvement. Sometimes it takes players a longer time to develop than we think it should, especially when they are playing out of their natural position. Looking forward to seeing progress and improvement from VG this season.

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This again!? Let's wait until the real games begin before we determine if it's a new and improved Gholston. I doubt it but I'd be very happy for VG and the Jets if he makes us a better team.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm extremely skeptical, but Gholston should be able to contribute as a rotational end.

He's at his best with his hand in the dirt, so hopefully he'll make a few plays in the backfield this season - that's really all we can ask for at this point.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hahaha, Cimini let his anti-Gholston agenda seep through in Rex's presser today and he was asking how Rex could say that Gholston was guaranteed a spot if another player like Rodrique Wright outplayed him and Rex got annoyed and says 'Uh, no, I don't think that Rodrique Wright will beat Gholston out because they don't even play the same position.'

Man, Cimini's articles may get fun to read if Gholston does end up playing well. And no, that wasn't with a straight face.

#167 abyzmul, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  8. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

I have to assume that would be the line in a short yardage situation. Not exactly big sack potential from those 4. That's a 1300 lb line.

9. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

this is his last shot with the jets hope he plays well

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I was wondering what he meant by that. Did he mean that Gholston would play LE while Wright would play RE or that Gholston is a nickel defensive end and Wright is a 5-tech?

11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I'm confused as well. Aren't they both DE??

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I just think it was the best that Ryan could come up with aside from "Shut the fuck up you useless piece of shit. I hope something bigger than I was 8 months ago falls on your skull while you kiss your kids goodnight."

13. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I think when we see Gholston in, it will be more of a four-man line and Wright would be in when we went old-school 3-4 look.

14. TelackiTerp

TelackiTerp New Member

i really hope he can be a sleeper on this defense and do some good things. lets see...

15. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

what's gholston's cap number next season? i know we restructured his deal but does he still have a huge cap number next year?

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ghost plays right end. Right end of the bench that is.

17. cooterhooter

cooterhooter Banned

Yeah he is some load...that high priced money shot is right in the eyes of all Jets fans. Buffalo is dealing with a similar situation with Maybin. Funny though Maybin is moving from DE to OLB. Ghost the opposite. Unfortunately for both franchises neither move looks too promising.

18. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

LOL! The clips they just showed on Jets Nation did not inspire confidence.

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

when he does terrible this year will people say it was only his first year back at DE

20. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

Rex Ryan on Gholston: "it's the best day he's had since I've been here. This is the most excited I've ever been about Vernon Gholston"