Gentleman be prepared for a potential defensive draft selection with the 1st pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

If a top rush LB'er is available we should draft him without hesitation. That is a premium position in today's NFL and the one thing that would make our defense jump to the level of all time elite.

I recognize the need for talent on the offensive side of the ball but need should never trump BPA.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

agree to a point - a 1st round rush backer would definitely add speed and polish up an already good defense but ignoring 1st round talent on the offensive side of the ball has to stop. do think there will be 2-3 names that slip into the mid to late teens and the jets will, in all likelihood, follow the BPA approach - within reason. if that does happen i am hoping it is an OLB/DE type. i do hope a CB doesn't slip and the jets once again grab that bait. if not, i think its pretty clear they need to address the receiver position almost immediately come may.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Again, I wouldn't be opposed to this at all. In fact, I think I am leaning more towards us trading back in the first and getting another second. I think by the time we pick, we will be reaching for talent on offense that can be had in the second.

Although, if certain defensive guys are still there in the first, I would stay put and snag a OLB. This front seven could become potentially the best ever with a pass rushing linebacker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Short of Ebron and or Lee being there at 18th, in one way or another we would be reaching for a WR and or a TE. Some feel Cook comes close and he could be there, but is a bit of a stretch, projected more like a late 1st early second. A top tier I S or OLB or may be even an OT and of course a CB can be there if we can not trade down. We shall see.

Reason in MHO teams like the Eagles and Saints and Ravens are locking up their offensive weapons is because they know well that after the first few slots, the top tier WRs/TEs will be gone and the rest are simply solid players but not your must have #1 weapons.

Red Menace likes this.