Gentleman be prepared for a potential defensive draft selection with the 1st pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Feb 27, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To begin with, I don't think there's any such thing as a "universal board." All it takes is to look at different draft sites and different mock drafts and see the variances. IMO it would be unrealistic to think that every GM thinks exactly alike and values players in the exact same manner. Even though some teams needs may be very similar, they may view prospects radically differently for the following reasons: they value the various positions differently; different offensive and or defensive systems; different skill sets they look for in players; how they value collegiate production, the Combine, interviews, the Wunderlic; the talent they already have on hand and how that prospective new talent might fit in; where their team is located - some players may not like it or thrive in NYC for example while others may not like it in Green Bay or Kansas City; the differences in draft philosophy; the difference between the abilities of the scouting depts.; the age of some of their key players; and there could be other reasons. Those were just off the top of my head.

I don't think we know for certain how Idzik will approach this draft, but I do think that based on how he has handled his job overall, how he handled the draft last year, and the things he has said, we have some clues. He has said he believes in building through the draft and taking the bpa. He worked in Seattle prior to coming to the Jets, and we can see how they handle the draft. He's no-nonsense, and approaches things in a rational, calm, thoughtful manner. He has seen all the holes the Jets have due to Tanny's constant trading up. He seems intelligent and sober, and not likely to fall in love with one player to the extent that he would make the same mistakes Tanny did to get that one player. I believe that based on the input from the Scouting Dept., the CS and his own judgment and perspectives, that Idzik will make the choices that he thinks best helps the team going forward. We also know that one of the main reasons GMs are fired is that they fail to find a quality starting QB for their team. Therefore, I think we can expect that he will continue to look to make sure that the Jets have the best QB possible. I don't think he would be the type to just "hope" that Geno develops. He seems intent on living up to his mantra of competition at every position.

As to whether he will take a WR if that WR isn't the bpa available in his mind (or the Jets' board), I don't know. Some have posited on other Jets boards I've read and posted on that last year, some the of OL he took were probably not the bpa available at that point, but we just don't know how the Jets and he had the prospects rated. I think this is a critical draft, perhaps moreso than any other recently, to solidify the Jets' turnaround and getting them on a path to the SB. One thing is for certain...it's gonna be a long wait, and then an interesting ride.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

3. NCJetsfan

Yes, it seems that we see things very similarly. My only possible deviation from what you've posted might be with regard to the OG position. While it is a position of strong need, I'd be a little surprised if Idzik took an OG and #18. At least traditionally, OG has not been seen as that important a position, so while a an OG may have the best overall grade on the Jets board at #18, the relative lack of importance of the position versus OLB, WR, TE or even DB could cause Idzik to go with a player at another position, particularly if the two players rankings aren't that far apart.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think we should do a combo of NEED and BPA in order to be successful.

If i were Idzik i would take the BPA within these positions:

WR
    TE
    OLB/DE
    FS

That gives us the flexibility of taking a true BPA plus adds an element of need. This gives us flexibility not to reach for a player and fills a hole in our roster.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Let me try a different twist based on remaining players when we are on the clock

I took a cut at a realistic set of potential players still available when we pick with the 18th slot to stimulate some possible discussion scenarios for us. The list it's simply based on the current conventional wisdom of the media and somewhat represents the consensus of the draft experts.

Let us assume that based on the current projection (and God knows things will change) the likes of Clowney, Mathews, Watkins, Ebron, Barr, Evans, Lee ,Mack, along with the top 3 QBs are long gone, where do we see the most likely scenario for us and perhaps more importantly who would be the highest ranked of these remaining players on the Jets Board? If the BPA technique is then applied to the letter of the law would our choice be a WR or TE or some other position?

Remaining On the Draft Board
    OT - T. Lewan, Z. Martin, C. Kuandjio
    WR - K. Benjamin, O. Beckman Jr, A. Robinson, B.Cook
    TE - J. Amaro, A, Seferian-Jenkins
    OG- D. Yankey
    OLB - K. Van Noy, R. Shazier, T. Reilly
    DE K. Ealy, D. Ford
    CB- D. Dennard, J Gilbert
    S/FS - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, K Pryor
    ILB - C.J. Mosley
    QB - D. Carr, J Garoppolo

OK. I'll take a stab..knowing full well I will get flamed for this. My prediction of the Jets ranking at time of selection could very well be prioritizing 2 OT, 2 OLB, a FS and even a CB ahead of the likes of K. Benjamin or Beckman. Jr. Could be something along these lines:
    T. Lewan, Z. Martin, R. Shazier, D. Ford, K. Pryor and D. Dennard ahead of K. Benjamin, O. Beckman Jr, and J. Amaro.
    Fire away. I value your feedback.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That looks like Lewan every day of the week and twice on draft day. Maybe you could make an argument for the better of the two safeties or C.J. Mosley but Lewan is the best value available and other than the 2 QB's he plays the position of highest impact.

7. NCJetsfan

Nice twist.

Based on what I've seen and read, following is my take on it:

Kuandjio is going to drop like a rock and isn't even in the conversation;
    Benjamin and Robinson are not ranked as mid-1st...Benjamin probably a late 1st and Robinson early 2nd
    Van Noy is ranked an early 2nd as well
    Ealy may be ranked that high, but I don't think he should be
    Yankey I don't think is ranked that high, either,
    Carr may be ranked that high, but I'm pretty sure Garoppolo is ranked as a 2nd round prospect
    I think ASJ is rated as a 2nd rounder and Amaro a late 1st
    Shazier is not a fit for the Jets imo he's way too light, and Reilly I think is a 2nd rounder

That leaves Lewan, Martin, Beckham, Cooks, Dennard, Gilbert, Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Mosley and maybe Carr

I believe that Lewan and Mosley and possibly Cooks would be the two or three highest-rated of those prospects with Ford, Gilbert, Dennard, Pryor, Martin & Beckman probably just below them, with Carr and Clinton-Dix following them

If it does break down that way, with Lewan, I think it would depend upon whether the Jets see him as a possible successor to Brick or if he projects best to RT. If they see him as a possible successor to Brick, they could go with him, or Cooks or Mosley. If they see him as a RT, then I think they'd probably go with Mosley or Cooks.

This may not go along with the Jets rankings or status quo, but my preference would be as follows:

Cooks
    Mosley
    Beckham
    Ford
    Pryor
    Gilbert
    Lewan
    Martin
    Dennard
    Carr

If Lewan is the top player left on their board, however, then he's probably who they should pick.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but we absolutely have to go offense with our first pick. Enough is enough, I can't stomach another consecutive season with a completely unwatchable offense.

I like Odell Beckham Jr. a lot. Explosive, great hands, decent size.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

in this scenario i'd say its lewan and bricks last year in green. it would be heartbreaking for the board to fall that way but we would be getting 4-5 years of cheap labor at lt that would probably help keep the SOA together on the dline longer than we had hoped. we would also probably become more agressive in the draft making sure we secure a top talent at a skill position

10. Br4d

Lewan might even be the absolute best player the Jets could add in the 1st this year if the 3 WR's were gone.

I'm wondering where a team with D'Brick and Howard counting $20M against the cap could possibly go over the next few years.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

for what it's worth Rotoworld just put a mock up with us landing Anthony Barr at 18.

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The more and more I look at this draft the more and more I want to take defensive first pick. Unless of course Ebron or Evans is there. I don't want to reach for a receiver in the first round that is second round talent.

Something tells me we trade back in this first round.

13. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I'd welcome another defensive 1st rounder so long as he is BPA, like Sheldon was last year. As much as I am optimistic about the direction the team seems to be taking, I still think they're at least two years away from entering that upper tier of playoff teams (if it even happens). As such, I still want them to simply get the best possible building blocks, regardless of position.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yeah fast awesome combine warriors go up... kinda like Vernon Gholston? or Dewayne Robertson? Awesome combine guys are one of the reasons the Jets have made some horrible early draft choices in the recent past. Don't put too much weight into the combines as they are a secondary predicator of a player's success at the next level. It will never replace on field production in evaluating a player, not even close. Barr will most likely be gone before our pick and I want nothing to do with him anyways. This draft should be all about offense early and often.

15. JetsNation06

But where we differ is I don't believe every team is going to be reaching for these fast wide receivers. Also there's too many good WR's that will be available at 18 where we don't have to reach. We should be able to get a legit future #1 or 1a WR at 18. If that's the case then I don't want to go OLB unless it's the next coming of LT which nobody in this draft is. If Cooks is there at 18 I'd still take him over Barr. Cooks' offensive impact will be greater than Barr's defensive impact on this current Jets roster. I'd rather address defense in the 2nd or 3rd.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, after further soul searching, I can see that Lewan might never go past the Ravens at 17th if he falls that low. If he is there I will most certainly take the plunge. Absent of Lewan, we might be looking hard at Cook, Pryor or even Mosely and Beckman. If Barr drops I'll take him in a hard beat. Much will be told by our moves in free agency prior to the draft. If we get a legit WR it might change the priority slightly. I have a gut feel Idzik will surprise us all with his off season free agency moves.

17. JetsNation06

Now you're completely contradicting yourself. If you actually watched Cooks, not just this year but over the last two years, you would know that his on field production was some of the best in the country. So for you to act like he's only a workout warrior and a product of a good combine is flawed at best. Cooks was one of the elite receivers in the country all year. This is where your argument loses credibility. Cooks' combine only supports what he did on the field this season. That's a big difference from someone who had questionable production on the field but had a great combine (see Stephen Hill for reference). Something tells me you're probably a Stephen Hill backer too which would explain your backwards logic.

I was justifying Brandin Cooks as a first rounder before his combine because he's been doing it all year long. Furthermore you're not dealing in the reality of the current roster when you talk about need over talent. Both players are talented however the need is much greater on the offensive side of the ball. And to suggest drafting a QB every year, that's stupid and those are your words, not mine.

18. JetsNation06

At the very least you respond with reason to support your stances so I'm fine with that. We just agree to disagree on how we want this draft to pan out for the Jets.

19. Br4d

I'd be ok with Lee or Cooks with the 1st rounder although I'd like to trade down if we decided we wanted Cooks or Lee was not there at 18. I really don't want the Jets to get caught up in the hype about some of the second-tier prospects and wind up grabbing one of them at 18 with no idea if the guy can be a #1 in the NFL.

The guys who weren't the leading receivers at their schools and never caught a lot of passes as a result did that for a reason. It's not going to get easier for them in the NFL. If you want to take one of them in the 2nd and hope he matures into a much better receiver than he was in college that's fine but history suggests that most players cannot do that. Most players that work out are the same player they were in college once they get their feet on the ground in the pros.

If you take a guy who caught 50-ish passes his last year in school and nothing before that suggested he was going to be a #1 WR, well that's likely who you are getting in the pros.

For the record:

Kelvin Benjamin caught 54 passes for 1,011 yards in 2013. He was ranked 9th in the ACC in catches and 7th in yards.
    Odell Beckham caught 57 passes for 1,117 yards in 2013. He was ranked 10th in the SEC in catches and 4th in yards.

That's not the kind of production you look for out of a #1 WR. Neither of those guys was the leading receiver on his team by a wide margin. Benjamin was tied as the 2nd receiver for FSU.

Neither of those guys is likely to be a #1 WR except in somebody's fevered imagination. Could it happen? Sure, but it's more likely they will be a #2/#3 at the NFL level depending on how they adapt to the pro game.

Andre Johnson caught 52 passes for 1,092 yards for Miami in 2002. He was ranked 3rd in the Big East in catches and 1st in yards. He was the leading receiver among the wide outs on his team by 25 catches and trailed only Kellen Winslow by 5 catches overall. That's what a #1 WR candidate in the NFL looks like.

20. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Well it seems like the Eagles and the Saints and a few other teams are locking up their TE's & WR'ers cause they would not last long on
    the open Market. So as the date for FA is getting closer the door to finding them WR's everyone in this thread is talking about are
    slowly disappearing.