Geno's game 1 performance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Noam, Sep 8, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Cam Newton hasn't done anything in this league other than put up great fantasy #s.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Putting up numbers IS accomplishing something in the NFL. maybe he hasn't had the team accomplishments yet. But Cam is one of the best young players in the league.

3. nyjunc

It's meaningless if you can't win and the expectations for Carolina last year were to be a playoff contender which they were not. He stunk the first half of the year leading them to a 2-6 record, then w/ the team out of the playoff hunt he played "great". yesterday he had a golden opportunity and he failed, hopefully for panther fans he won't start to put up good fantasy #s when it is too late again.

He has all the ability in the world, he can do it all and SHOULD be a great QB but so far he's been nothing more than a stat guy.

4. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

5. nyjunc

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I agree Geno played a good second half but I could have not been the only one screaming at my TV to throw the ball on that last play. It was not smart move to run we needed another 15 yards fortunately the TB linebacker was an idiot but Genos decision to run there was not a smart play. Or am I mistaken?

7. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Well if the option was run it out of bounds to save the clock or throw a pick it was a good decision, I haven't really seen any footage to see what the coverage on the receivers were at that point. If they were completely covered it was the smart move. If two guys were wide open and going to easily be able to get out of bounds to save the clock within FG range then it was a bad decision.

The dumber move was Rex letting like a dozen seconds tick off the clock for no apparent reason before calling the timeouts. It happened like three times over the course of the game. What was up with that? If that hadn't happened we might not have needed the lucky penalty as we could have got off at least one or two more plays to get down the field a bit more.

8. The 1985er

It's a team sport. This isn't tennis or golf. There are many things that happen that are out of the QB's control.

EDIT: let me add that I'm judging Cam as an individual player. As a player he is good. Unlike you I don't use team accomplishments as a QB stat.

#208 The 1985er, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Time heals all wounds.

10. The 1985er

Maybe no one was open better to run out of bounds than to throw a Sanchez to end the game.

11. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. If the penalty doesn't happen, Jets lose. At that point it would have been better to throw one up.

12. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I give Geno a B maybe B+ for the game. More good than bad, and better than I expected.

13. nyjunc

if you can't win what does it mean? he had a team expected to be a playoff contender last year w/ more than enough talent to do so but they failed largely thanks to Cam's play. I like Cam and think he can be a really good one but he needs to start winning. teams don't win w/ bad QBs, the best QBs can win w/ mediocre talent and cam has more than mediocre talent.

You judge players based on fantasy #s, were you impressed w/ Eli last night? 400 yds, a bunch of TDs, those #s pad stat sheets but he was terrible and cost his team the game(helped cost his team the game).

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

no one was open

he rolled out to see if something would open up nothing did so he ate up some yards and got out of bounds with time for one last play

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

see what you did there

dont justify it by using hypothetical's

him running drew the penalty, its like a team going for on 4th and 1 only to try and draw an offsides to get the 1st

things happen in football, you draw a penalty and you suffer the consequences

if a Jets player did that he's have a thread on here but since it happened for us we use it against Geno

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Did we also need a pubic throw to a covered receiver that would seal the game for Tampa Bay? Get GameRewind and look at the coaches film. Nobody was open.

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

exactly. worst case we dont get a penalty and are in a hail mary situation from the 50ish yardline... which while not ideal is better then a game sealing interception

18. jerseyjay14

he cant do it all. he doesnt play defense or special teams.

19. jerseyjay14

without the penalty, there are still 7 seconds left, and you can still throw one up.

on your own 40 yardline, 25ish seconds, 0 timeouts you really dont have a ton of great options. teams arent really giving you a 20 yard out route on the sidelines there

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Glad to see it's finally sinking in.