Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol.

_

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Once his contract expires, he will be stocking at HyVee like some other QB did. [Just Geno won't be winning a fucking thing. His career will end AT HyVee, not the other way around.]

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm seeing reports today from Cimini http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...ess?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter and even Mehta that the Jets might be more interested in going with Geno than drafting a Qb. Mac did say they were going to evaluate him, watch film, etc. But then Bowles said something recently about turnovers. WTF is going on here. I'm sure that Gailey is part of this evaluation. Wasn't Gailey David Lee's HC at Buff when he was their Qb coach a few years ago. I doubt there's much communication between the two of them now that they are with other teams in the same Division. And if we don't draft someone what does this mean for signing a good vet Qb. Does it mean they go on the cheap then. What about a guy like Jason Campbell who isn't that bad and could come in under 4.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What I see here, is that the Jets brass knows they won't get Winston, they evaluated Mariota's tape and they just don't believe Mariota is the guy. That's what I think Cimini believes.

It's going to be a vet or Geno Smith next season. I wonder how much of Bruce Arians rubbed off on Todd Bowles (which is what I would really like as Arians is a really good coach). Arians is not a fan of Spread QBs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ce-arians-criticizes-colleges-spread-offenses

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

That's true but Arians was a part of the Cards poor decision to bring back Ryan Lindley and start him which basically ruined their season. Geno is a lot better than Lindley but not a good NFL starter (yet).

6. JStokes

Nonsense.

I don't think it is anything of the sort. I don't think Cimini has any idea what the Jets are thinking, he's just extrapolating on what he thinks McGag and Bowles have been saying. It's nonsense to think they've evaluated his tape over the past month and without fully digesting his combine or even attending his pro day that they aren't sold on him. And they've yet to even talk to Geno. The draft is months away.

This is you putting your bias on a made up story.

_

Big Blocker and HAYN like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They were up shits creek without a paddle when they picked up Lindley. Injuries basically ruined their season not the decision to start Lindley. Who the hell else was available at that point in the season? Should they have tried to talk Brett Favre out of retirement? It's not as if Arians wanted to start Lindley

8. 101GangGreen101

The Cardinals were down to their 3rd QB, what do you expect? The other guy was Logan Thomas, and he was a 4th round pick. Arians is one of the better offensive minds in the league today/

I'm just putting the pieces together, nothing is confirmed ... everything here is speculation at this time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they passed on Mariota because Bowles prefers a pro-style QB. If it is true, and the Jets pass on Mariota - then you can point at the tape and that will be your reason why. From there, everything I said up until this point would be 100% correct.

They don't need to talk to Geno one bit, all they need to do is look at the tape.

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

That is the main point for this season. You don't need a stud QB to be competitive, you need a game manager that doesn't turn over the ball. Geno isn't a game manager and turns over the ball too much.

Maybe a Hundley, Petty etc. falls far enough to take a shot in the draft but you sure as hell don't just stay with a turn over prone one-read clown at QB because the next Tom Brady isn't out there as a FA.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think it was a terrible decision. There were guys available other than Lindley who had been horrible the last time he played for them. Matt Simms or other PS Qbs are a lot better. They chose him because he understood their offense but if you can't run it it means nothing. If they had at least a Qb who could run their offense with some degree of success they wouldn't have folded at the end of the season. Arians has to take some of the blame for this. Coaches will defer to someone who they've worked with before and who understands their game plan but the guy totally sucks.

#170 pclfan, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. JStokes

Nonsense. You're just making stuff up because you don't like Mariota and you want to wait on Cook. Nothing you said is 100% true, not by a long shot. Nobody has made any determination on anyone based on their tape. No one is making any determination until after pro days and private workouts and psych exams and further interviews.

Anything anyone says before draft day is likely a smokescreen. There are no "pieces" to be put together yet.

_

12. 101GangGreen101

To me, it's not about waiting on a certain QB. I'm just going by what Cimini said (which should be taken with a grain of salt) and what Bruce Arians said. Draft is only 90 days away.

13. JStokes

The draft is months away.

100% true.

Everything else is pure speculation based on smokescreens and irrelevancies.

_

14. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Bowles hasn't even met Geno Smith yet, I think you are panicking for no reason.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This post as lawyers say assumes facts not in evidence. Again, most of us had our problems with Ryan. But Marty was a real OC, and while I was not a big Lee fan, I did not see any evidence in the last two years that it was the CS that was holding SMith back. They tried this, they tried that, they offered tons of support, and Smith kept making bad plays that were the result of his own approach to the game rather than the playcalling or any other tangible aspect of coaching.

There is simply no reaon to expect that Gailey will be some magical presence that will greatly improve upon the previous CS on O.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If they had another option they should have used it. They already knew that Lindley was terrible from previous exposure to him on an NFL field. That was a major coaching malfunction. Better to throw the 4th rounder on the field and hope you get lucky.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Michael Vick is at least a competent NFL QB and we made him look like an abomination. There was something fundamentally wrong here. I'm not advocating for Geno, I would prefer Glennon, trading up for Winston or trading down and picking up Foles, but I'm sensing that there's going to be complete outrage if Geno goes into the season as the starter and I don't think it's justified.

FJF likes this.
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

"I was late because I didn't know the time."

This is coaching failure, right? Airplane incident - that's another coaching failure, right?

That kid ain't got a clue about how to be a professional in the first place. Idzik shouldn't have drafted that bum.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

The coaching staff never put ANY QB we had in a position to succeed. If you want to keep your eyes closed and not really look at what happened that is your choice. Those incidents were bad but completely ignore all the reports on how hard he worked as well. Rex is never responsible for anything bad and gets credit for everything good. So frustrating to see the Rex apologists and blind Geno haters

20. 101GangGreen101

As sad as this sounds, it's more likely that Arians thought Lindley had a lesser chance of turning the football over.