Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

If the Jets add no one to the Qb roster this off season, then yes that would be a strong argumetn for the new guys being incompetent. That is all I said. If Smith in fact were to win a competition against whoever they bring in, and that whoever is the best that can be obtained, then fine, so be it. Glad we cleared that up.

And if the Jets could upgrade Qb, with the money they have in cap space and some good draft picks, they very well could contend for a playoff spot. There aer no free years off, and this new regime I am certain is not giving up on 15 already.

2. Scoop24

Scoop24 Member

You should worry about your own football knowledge . If you think some miracle franchise QB just gonna come outta no where .

At this point most of us see the realistic picture where Geno could very well be starting this year .

Marriota is not a day one starter by all accounts he is atleast 2 years away and could very Well not make it too #6.

And Free Agency won't have nothing but Jag/ Backup types with Sanchez being the cream of the group . Hell I want Us to sign Hoyer but he is a jag who is also up and down

This is exactly why you calling the front office incompetent if they can't land new a QB makes no sense. There aren't many options to begin with..

So I have no problem continuing Geno's Development even if you Draft or Sign a jag QB.

#102 Scoop24, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Never did I say Geno Smith deserves no blame for sucking. He definitely is flawed and that November stretch in 2013, especially, was possibly the worst stretch of play I've personally seen from a starting QB. He has a lot of work to do personally, yes, and he deserves a lot of blame.

I'm just simply saying I'm not ready to write him off forever.

Gailey isn't a miracle worker but the guy has a track record of working with and coaching up bad QBs, which is good because Geno Smith has been a bad QB. Either way, I want to see how he looks in a different system before I definitively say, like you and many others, that he's a bum/should be working at mcDonald's/lacks basic QB skills, etc.....

Where is this 5 years of tape? The guy has been in the NFL for only 2 seasons. Surely they shouldn't evaluate him anymore based on his WV tape, at least I hope you aren't suggesting that.

And Matt Moore/Shaun Hill???? ughhh. what would be the point of those shitheads. Those guys on their best days aren't really that much better than Geno Smith anyway. Smith is vastly more athletic than them and younger. I'd rather lose with Geno Smith than lose with Moore/Hill. At least there's the possibility Smith might develop.

Moore & Hill have both reached their peaks already and their peaks weren't good enough to start in 2 cities that have struggled for years with QBs. But we should want them here? I'd like to aim higher myself and if I have to waste time with Geno Smith while I am aiming higher? so be it, I'd rather waste time and lose games with someone who has more possible potential. but that's just me

FJF and Scoop24 like this.
  4. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Geno is going to get another chance simply because the FA market is so weak and IMO besides Winston there isn't a qb worth taking. By default its genos now or never. Lucky us. Lol

JetsUK and Scoop24 like this.
  5. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I wish there are better options in FA but their aren't. The Jets will still have a pretty good run game without cj800 and they have decent receivers. What they need now is a game manager at QB until they can find a franchise QB. As game managers and void fillers Moore / Hill would do fine and much better than Geno. Are they top level QB's? Hell no but they allow a coaching staff to be competitive, they'll come cheap allowing the team to shore up areas of need in FA where they can get top level talent. Rolling out Geno doesn't make the team competitive and he's no where even close to being the type of game manager Sanchez was his first few years. This team can't afford another year of the Geno Project. That ship has sailed. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won a super bowl each being game managers. Unless one of Winston or Mariota falls into the Jets laps they aren't getting a top QB this year either in the draft or FA so they may as well get a game manager that won't turn the ball over and cost games.

NYJetsO12 and Big Blocker like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hill and Moore wouldn't make the Jets any more competitive than Geno Smith and this team isn't to the level where they can win much of anything with a game manager anyway... provided I actually believe those guys are game managers which I definitely don't with Hill.

You want to bring them in to compete? Sure- I'm all for competition. If they win it and start that's fine, the best guy deserves to play but I really think Smith would beat those perennial backups out in a competition.

FJF likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm already resigned to watching Smith at QB this season. The fact he had a few good games doesn't mean we've got something special, it simply means we'll get through the season just like last year. Win a few, loss a few.

8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I think this team is close especially with the amount of $$ they "have" to spend this year (not might spend..must spend after rolling $$ into this year) this team absolutely has the chance to compete for a WC spot if they get a game manager. They are a lot closer than people realize, especially on D. What's been lacking is any real attention to offense in FA / draft during the Rex era. They can get guards in FA, they can get a blocking TE in FA, I'm not sure they can get a good O tackle in FA so that is a draft issue they need to deal with along with CB, LB, safety etc.

Geno beat out Vick last year because Vick knew the CS was told Geno was the starter and because at this stage in his career Vick is in cruise control, he's just sticking around to earn a few million a year that he couldn't get elsewhere. There hasn't been any true competition at QB on this team in ages. I'm doubtful Geno would beat out any of the game managers.

9. Big Blocker

In a real competition, I disagree with your conclusion. But more relevant is how Smith plays in real games when the season is still on the line. That is historically where he has crapped the bed. In other words even if he "won" a competition in camp, the Jets need a vet Qb to be ready when Smith starts f'ing up the regular season, and don't wait too late like they did last year.

NYJetsO12, Br4d and FlaJet like this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'm not resigned to Geno at all. But I just hope Mac/Bowles don't force the issue with a new QB...And maybe, just maybe, MM or JW fall to us...if that's who they love.

In the meantime I'd rather bring back Vick, or just about anybody else, and start him over Geno. Of course he'll get hurt and we'll be forced to be subjected to Geno's Magic Johnson behind the back mad ball skills...and shit...

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the problem is that unless you get really lucky then to get that true franchise QB you need the #1 overall pick or close to it - the last thing the Jets need is a load of seasons where we win 5, 6, 7 games or so and are picking at the back end of the top 10 so that if there is another Andrew Luck-esque prospect we have a chance to get him - the problem the Jets have always had is never sucking badly enough when it counts.

12. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

Beating Tennessee hurt like nothing else as far as the draft is concerned
    Beating Tennessee in week 15 hurt like nothing else as far as the draft is concerned. We would have had pick #4 and a better chance at picking the QB.

13. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

God help this franchise if they stick with GeNO as being the best option. If they plan on going this route I really hope and pray it works out. I only hope they have him on a VERY short rope. A QB who keeps repeating the same mistakes over and over is a team, franchise, coach, and GM killer.
    Please don't ask me what is the best option is besides him. I don't know but if I was being paid big bucks I sure as hell better find it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

My position remains unchanged.

I want Geno to start next year. Jets must have a QB prospect in the wing, and he will sit and watch how not to play QB as Geno gets battered on the field. I have no problem with that.

The idea is, Jets need a QB they can trust in years beyond, and they must protect the kid so he can transition, learn and perform when his chance comes to. Until that time comes, someone has to hold the fort and take the beating, so Jets, as organization, can protect the new QB kid and nurture him. That's what I am suggesting Jets should do with Geno. [That was my original suggestion with Sanchez in the past, if you remember. Jets just didn't heed my advice.]

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Geno can't be trusted going into the season as the starting Qb. Mac sounds just like Idzik saying he wants competition at Qb and every position. I'd sign Moore, Hill or Hoyer as starter with Geno as the backup. If those guys get injured or are horrible than you go to Geno.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Question. Wouldn't it be better for a QB rook to sit, watch, and learn how to play rather than how not to play?

17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

It's still early! The FO could still pick up Mallet and some other competition for Smith, and he could lose in TC. That being said, if he does start, he can't possibly be worse.... right?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Fair enough bud!

19. Big Blocker

Yeah, you sure didn't learn from the experience with Sanchez, who despite being the buttfumble guy was better than Smith. But the Jets were wrong to stick with him as long as they did. The stategy you advocate has deservedly gotten two GM's and an HC fired. Something tells me the new guys won't follow your advice.

NYJetsO12 and Pocket Jet like this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

They stuck with Sanchez starting part - but they didn't follow through with [get a new QB in the wing] part.

I don't want to see Geno starting for this team for 1 second more than he has to. All I am saying is - what the pro ball clubs all over the world say: [We will keep you until we can replace you.] Jets don't have a viable alternative unless they somehow stumble onto a vet QB FA that starts to perform at high level. Yeah. That QB class is heralded by - drumrolls! - MARK SANCHEZ. If it's sucky QB performance either way, save the cap and stay with Geno. Until the new QB assimilates to the league, Jets don't have any other option anyway, and throwing the green rookie to the wolves is definitely not how you should groom your QB of the future. Geno and Sanchez will tell you everything about it.