Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

QB's don't get 3 developmental years in the NFL any more. The position is too important in the post-modern game and failures at the position doom you. You can't go 11-3 with Terry Bradshaw completing under 50% and throwing as many picks as TD's in this era. The running game and defense just aren't important enough under the post-modern passing rules to allow a team to continue to put a QB who isn't up to par on the field.

That's why just going with Geno for another year won't work. You have to have somebody who can start for you and play acceptably as real competition and you have to be ready to pull the plug on Geno as soon as it looks like he's in the same vicinity of his play the last two years. Really you need to have somebody who is the default starter and force Geno to beat him out before he gets back on the field.

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

That's more like it.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Finally a realist

FlaJet, NYJetsO12 and Pocket Jet like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Well, the NFL has 31 teams with QBs who are still developing and who failed to get their squads a ring last year.

5. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

......talk about beating a dead horse

Jets69 likes this.
  6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He would have had to have fewer INTs in 2014 than 2013--it's just simple math. He played the equivalent of FOUR fewer games in 2014 than in 2013 because of HIS crappy play. He had less of an opportunity to throw INTs. If he plays all 16 games and Marty doesn't turn him into a hand-off machine against Miami those numbers are probably pretty close.

And mind you you're comparing his 2014 to one of the historically awful seasons he put up 2013.

That's not progress, that's perpetuating failure.

This crap AGAIN? This is like 2013 all over again--"you know Geno was the second highest rated QB behind Peyton Manning the last 4 games?" Nonsense.

"Much better"? He was putrid before he came back "much better", that he came back less putrid doesn't mean all that much.

We were DONE by the time Geno started to come back "much better" against a few bad teams too. What do you put more stock in--his perfect game against Miami when we were 3-12 and Miami had been dishearteningly knocked out of the playoffs the week before, backs packed, tee times set--or the zero point zero Geno put up when we still had a shot and everyone was playing for the playoffs?

And the excuses are starting already.

So after he leads us to a 6-10 record with incrementally less crappy play the last 4-5 games you'll be starting a thread just like this NEXT year?

_

FlaJet and NOVAJET like this.
  7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The thing about Geno and the reason not to cut him loose: he has 30 starts and although terrible some Qbs see the light after failure and can have decent careers. For some Qbs it takes more time than others to learn how to play the position. A small fraction of his starts have been good ones. Plus in both seasons he ended the year with an ok finish. It's pretty obvious you have to dial down the offense with Geno at least in year 3. If you don't you end up with turnovers. He also has a low contract for the next two seasons and talent wise he is good enough to be a backup Qb in the NFL. I wouldn't go into the season with him as our starter. I'd go after Hoyer who is now available.

8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

The only difference is non of them stunk up the joint as much as Geno..

Pocket Jet and Jets69 like this.
  9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

That's why you need a scaled down offense that will minimize his opportunities for disaster. And try to take advantage of his individual skill set.

10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Like the Sanchez red light green light system ?

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Yeah. The color coding that Brian created for him. They should have stayed with it. You have to dumb down the offense for guys like them.

12. Br4d

You know that's not what I'm talking about. Geno has been terrible in about half his starts so far and below average in another quarter or more. That's not a QB failing to get his team a ring. It's a QB failing period.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Marty scaled down the offense at the end of 2013 producing a mirage of pretty much mediocre play by Geno down the stretch and he was rewarded with Geno once again shitting the bed through the middle of 2014 leading to his benching.

At some point we need to find a SMART QB that we can steadily COMPLICATE the offense, not continuously dumb it down to cover up our QBs flaws.

When you dumb down an offense, you also make it easier for the opposing defense to figure out what you are doing.

At some point, wouldn't you rather have a smart QB?

Rather than trying to hide his flaws to "take advantage of his skill set"?

_

Big Blocker, Pocket Jet and FlaJet like this.
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

The same bullshit over and over and expecting different results. Insanity. It makes me crazy sick anyway. 5-6-7 years of this. Please God make it stop

Gimme Mariota and reverse the model. Start simple and gradually increase the complexity

Or anybody for the love of God.

15. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

If you don't want to repeat the same bullshit then bringing Mariota in and throwing him into the fire with a simplistic offense is not what you want to do, because that's what they have been doing for that same time span. You draft him and send him to the bench to learn until he is ready to start the actual offense and not a baby-fied version of it.

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but a rookie Qb is no guarantee of that. And you could have a few losing seasons again breaking him in and possibly find out you have the wrong player. I think a dumbed down offense for a mediocre Qb like Geno is ok. And maximizes your chance to be successful. I have no problem with the ground and pound. You can win with it. Along with a remedial approach to the passing game. Anyways lots of teams now feature a short passing game. I would take Mariota if available but if not a guy like Hoyer who is a smart player could be successful here.

17. Br4d

If the Jets are really going to stick with Geno it would be nice to see them go to a full spread option. Give the guy something he can excel at because it doesn't make huge demands in the areas he is weak in. Geno the Ringmaster is probably a much better player than Geno the Field General.

18. Walt White

Right. Totally agree. I've been sayin' that all along in my MM posts. Year, year and a half on the bench.
    That was just more of a response of the Geno stuff, and my intolerance of watching Geno and Sanchez undermine everything with their lack of comprehension of the basic concept of ball protection for 7 years now, brutal.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And who starts at QB? [By the way, this HAS BEEN what I have been screaming from the bottom of my lung for the past few years. Nobody seemed to take notice, however.]

20. Walt White

While we're at it let's let Geno sit 8-10 games. Any body but Geno. Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Vick...anybody