Geno to start vs MIA

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 74, Nov 25, 2013.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I remember how I felt at the end of pre-season, Simms is our best QB!!??

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I did not say that, but of course you are changing the subject.

3. Big Blocker

Frankly based on on field performance, I had to wonder whether Simms might have been the team's best Qb at the end of pre-season.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Whut? Just kidding dude.

_

5. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I think its a combination of 2 and 3. Rex isn't qualified to determine which QB gives them the best chance to win. He's a top D Coordinator that was given a chance to be a Head Coach and has not grown into the job. He's as clueless on Offense as he is good on Defense and its shown throughout his stint as head coach.

Geno is Idzik's pick. Until they are out of the playoff race Idzik wants to assess Geno. Once they aren't in it I think then we'll see Simms.

Just a hunch but I think the Jets FO really believes that Geno can win 3 of the next 4 with a shot to then go 9-7 with a final week win in Miami and 9-7 just might get them in to the playoffs. If they lose this week it will be interesting to see what they do with the QB spot for the remaining games.

6. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I really can't believe that Rex came out and said with the way Geno is playing that he gives the Jets the best chance to win. It's inconceivable for Rex to assume anyone actually believes that.

How fucking bad must Simms suck in practice to keep trotting the dumpster fire Geno Smith out there?

I really have to question Rex's judgment, Geno is clearly not ready to be playing in the NFL, guy has almost as many turnovers as completions in these last 3 games.

7. Big Blocker

In case it is not obvious, ftr I also think it is some combination of 2 and 3. There is a slight possibility Rex knows Smith sucks but is totally deferring to Idzik, but I don't think Rex is that good of a liar, and more to the point he misplayed this type of situatoin so long and so badly with Sanchez, before anyone had ever heard of Idzik. In other words Rex has a proven track record of mismanaging the Qb position.

It would be very Machiavellian of Rex to be playing Smith and saying to everyone he wants to give the team's second round pick chance after chance after chance.....

You get the idea.

When he knows Smith sucks. Let someone else, like maybe even Woody, say he's seen enough of Smith.

But I don't really think that's what is happening.

8. Mr. Green Pants

What reason do you have, beyond a few garbage time appearances, to think Simms would be an upgrade? There's little in his background to suggest he's even close to being an NFL caliber starting QB. He certainly doesn't have the faith of the coaches who have seen him perform in practice all year. With that being established, I prefer to stay the course with the higher ceiling guy who has game managed us to five wins. Simple as that. Maybe I'll feel differently if Geno implodes at home on Sunday, but right now, I'd consider a switch to Simms a panic move after a four game stretch where three of the games were almost overwhelmingly weighted against Geno.

9. Big Blocker

Btw let's not forget a goodly chunk of Smith's yardage total in the Ravens game came in total garbage time when the Ravens were playingt total prevent and not pressuring him. When the game was over.

Not to digress but that has always been an issue with the standard Qb rating. It doesn't weigh the importance of timing during the game.

10. Mr. Green Pants

LOL. Your entire case for starting Simms is based on garbage time performance.

11. tiger8mush

tiger8mush Member

I am no scout, so I don't know who is better between Geno, Simms, and the rookie talent pool coming out of college. But I do know I'd hate to see us use another 1st or 2nd round pick next year just to have the rookie come in and suck like Geno is this year. Would Teddy or Manzel do any better on this current team? Can they read a defense better? Can they react better when a linemen gets beat on the outside? Can they make the WR catch the ball when it hits their hands? If we draft one of them and give them 12 starts and they are horrible, do we draft another QB in 2015?

I'm in the crowd that feels Geno is an average rookie QB (with rookie flaws)and right now we have below average WRs and TEs and an average OL as a whole. Surround him with talent and let him get comfortable with the team around him (at least a season) and we'll see better results.

Geno vs Simms ... I don't think the results will be much different. I'll be rooting for a W vs Miami no matter who is at QB.

12. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The point is we don't know if Simms is better but we DO know Smith isn't the answer at QB, certainly not at this time and not for the balance of the year.

That coupled with the fact that this team isn't winning a playoff game even if they do surprise all and win 4/5. They are way better off using the evaluation excuse to put Simms in then slotting themselves toward the upper 1/2 of the draft in a strong draft with lots of picks.

I'm tired of the Jets taking bad QB's in poor QB drafts. This is the year to find one in the draft and let him learn while a vet plays next year.

I still think its time to evaluate Simms and see which of those 2 is the #2 going into next year. I haven't checked to see which QB's are available via FA but I'd prefer signing a veteran and if a good QB falls to them in the draft then drafting the eventual successor the vet and keeping either Geno or Simms but not both.

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

BB...I don't know why you continue to try. I've given up on this season. I've been around this organization long enough to know when to pull up the tent pegs.

The only thing worse than a team that blows monkey ass right out of the gate is one that tantalizes with a fantastic defense, a top 10 running game and a potential playoff spot. I came into this season fully expecting to nail down a top 5 draft pick next year...thus getting us, FINALLY, one of the top talked about QB's coming out of college. The Jets never seem to NEED a QB coming out of college when there is such HIGH talk of one...ala' RGIII or Luck of last year. We are always evaluating some "hanger on" (Sanchez) or scrub.

That being said...Simms is NOT getting reps in practice. You all need to wipe that from your minds right now. Not 1st team reps...that I can guarantee you from experience. They have no clue how well Simms is going to look with our mediocre 1st team unit. THAT is why Ryan is naming Geno the starter so soon in the week. When you make that decision and as bad as Geno is playing he needs all the reps to continue to maintain his "play like shit" status. I mean...he HAS to get better........right? The only way he is doing that is practice reps. So....there you go.

Now, IF the NY Jets lose this game this Sunday then it is a done deal...ALL playoff hope should be eliminated completely. I don't need, or want, to hear about the 100 mathematical ways they can back in and get blown out in game one.

At this point, I see no reason to start Simms...that would NOT be a fair assessment whatsoever. You start a guy when there is something on the line. When there is a purpose to be playing. No, in this you let Geno Smith ride out the year and lay in the bed that he had great hand in making. We'll see if he's got rocks between his legs or jelly beans. If I'm Matt Simms I fly under the radar and pull a Greg McElroy and get the flying hell out of the NY Jets locker room as fast as possible. Good landing spots might be Jacksonville, Minnesota to name a couple.

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

The last thing Rex will let happen is another QB controversy to end the season. Hes going to live or die with Geno and reassess in the offseason. Simms will get a chance to compete next year. If Simms comes in and struggles which he most likely will do then we go into the offseason with a fanbase wanting 3 QBs gone. Sanchez, Smith, and Simms.

15. Big Blocker

You are not paying attention. Or perhaps have reading comprehension issues.

Entire??? AYFKM???

How about that Smith sucks? That is very much part of my case.

And how about that other teams play their backups when the starter sucks.

And how about that Simms made the team and no one has a higher spot on the depth chart than him at backup Qb?

And how about you don't know how good or bad he is, so how come you are afraid to play him?

Are you related to SMith or something?

#95 Big Blocker, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  16. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Geno has play 11 games and 9 of them have been multiple turnovers -- and he only threw a TD in 5 of them.

Not sure how you can look at those two items and say Geno gives them a better opportunity to win than a paper bag.

17. Big Blocker

mezzavo,

I agree with the balance of the post. Ftr I thought the make or break point was right after second Buffalo, since i had no confidence Smith would improve, given the way he has been going. Unfortunately I was right. Right then there was a slim chance with a week of practice with the first team that Simms might have been effective. For their own reasons they chose not to go that route, and as far as practical reality is concerned, with the teams that are ahead of the Jets right now, that loss to the Ravens leaves only a mathematical chance of getting to the playoffs.

So I understand your frustration, and share it.

But I still think they need to see how Simms could do with a week's preparation with the starters, since they should see whether he can be kept next season or should not be.

You might be right about it being too tough to turn the team around right now and get them to perform for any Qb. But those guys need to be reevaluated, too, and if they can't at least try to help the backup Qb, that tells you something, too.

Yes, if I were Simms I might well think my best shot is to let this travesty unfold further and get on another team next year. But I would expect as a football player and with his enthusiasm, he would love to get in there.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

To me this is a mistake just like going too long with Mark was last season. The guy (like Mark) is on a downward spiral. I would make a change and suit up all three Qbs on Sunday.. If Garrard is capable of playing (and we cut Brady Quinn to put him on the active roster -by the way Quinn is on IR) then bring him in early if Simms is having problems. This team needs a spark. On offense they're as flat as they were last year under Sparano.

19. Big Blocker

Yes. rex is either lying or has lost it.

With this decision you can put me firmly in the fire Rex camp. Enough is enough.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the next 2-3 weeks will be very telling with smith. not only is he getting into the proverbial rookie wall at this point in time, his play will be that much more scrutinized.

if the perfomances continue more or less as they have been the last few weeks AND he isnt pulled - this will tell me 2 things....

1. the jets do not want any part of simms starting and putting up better stats cause of the firestorm to follow, AND

2. the jets may not be done with sanchez and we may have QB competition part deux next year......

oddly enough.

actually a 3rd thing just occurred to me....

the QB class coming out will be deeper than last year in quality and quantity - the jets absolutely have to, under any circumstances, get a full season report on smith to give them direction for the draft.

#100 jilozzo, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013