Geno Smith Sucks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Sep 28, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How many times do you have to bench a QB before he gets it? If Geno gets benched again it's end of Geno. End of story.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I wonder what its like to have a QB you actually have some faith in, like a Rodgers or Peyton or Brady in their pomp? According to statistics I have probably about 44years left to live - I seriously doubt I will ever get to know this feeling as a fan of the Jets.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

This is spot on for me.

I like him but my patience is waring thin. I'm not completely giving up on him but the frustrations from the fanbase is warranted. He has improved but his decision making is borderline retarded. He does make a few nice plays then a dumbass play. It's frustrating. He needs to cut that out asap.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  4. LT440

LT440 New Member

Anyone think this thread will get as long as the Sanchez Sucks thread?

5. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

That depends on whether they bring Tanny back to give Geno an extension like he did with Nacho ; )

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Tough times here in Jetville.

The owner sucks.
    The GM sucks.
    The HC sucks.
    The OC sucks.
    The QB sucks.
    The fans suck.

We've been in every game.
    Do we need another 45-3 enema to totally cleanse our collective colon?

legler82 and Royal Tee like this.
  7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The last time I remember having that kind of confidence in a QB was at the very start of the preseason in 2003 with Pennington (before he got hurt).

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

44 more years?

You just made 82% of this place depressed.

I survived Richard Todd.

9. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

He's never been truly benched. He sat out the second half of the Dolphins game.

And why does it have to be the end for a guy if he gets benched? Makes absolutely no sense. He goes to the bench until an opportunity arises for him to see the field again. And then you see if he's learned how to correct his mistakes. If he doesnt then thats the end. Just because you bench a guy doesn't mean its the end for him.

The 1985er likes this.
  10. bowleggedwonder

I'd like to see Geno play every snap this year and see what we've got.

If he develops, fantastic! If he doesn't, I hope that Idzik has the balls to move on.

When you watch promising rookies like Luck a couple of years ago, he made a ton of mistakes, but the potential was undeniable. I think this year's example will be Teddy Bridgewater (assuming he can stay healthy). He just gets it.

There's something about Geno's inability to see the blitz packages and work through his progressions that is so "Sanchez-eque". I'm afraid he's a coach killer although the real assassin was Idzik who bet the ranch and Rex's job on Geno.

11. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

If Geno plays the rest of the year and doesnt improve from what he is now the Jets will most certainly move on. I think the question is, can the the Jets save their season by going to Vick early before it's to late and the season is dead in the water.

You can go with Vick and if you end up at 2-7 or something with him then by all means go back to Geno and let him play it out after seeing some time on the sidelines.

12. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I guess nobody noticed that he got pulverized on both of the turnovers on Sunday ... And also on the game changer in GB. He hasn't played great but he hasn't sucked either. To me he looks a lot like a guy who's played 20 games in the league. This fan base is hysterical.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

What QB in this passing era (2004-present; new passing rules) have you seen a QB get benched only for them to come back and become THE guy?

If he ain't the guy, he ain't the guy.

No, he actually doesn't. He hasn't learned from the same mistakes that bit him in the ass his rookie year. You have to learn and continue to progress in this league - if it were different mistakes, I would understand, but it's the same damn shit every week. He holds onto the ball TOO long, does not go through his reads consistently, does not read an NFL defense.

14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i'm sorry but what are you waiting to see? you think geno is going to suddenly stop making ridiculously poor decisions?

15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Just because its never happened doesnt mean it can't. Foles took a back seat to Vick starting last year and then came in and played well. I'm not saying Geno is the guy. But the idea that benching him means its the end is dumb. You have the right to send a guy to the bench and then bring him back in at a future point.

16. 101GangGreen101

Foles was drafted to be the backup first, then won the job over Vick after Vick went down. It's not even close to the same scenario. Was Foles ever benched? No.

This scenario you present has never happened in this passing era, and I highly doubt it will start now. The rules are created to assist QBs in every way. This isn't the Terry Bradshaw days. If Geno is benched, it's time to move on.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Define benched.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Just like Sanchez before him, I don't think moving on is as vital as having competition.

#118 legler82, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  19. 101GangGreen101

A player is benched for poor performance. Simple as that. The things Geno Smith can control on the field he has failed for 3 straight weeks. Benching him will do no good, it's time to move on if he needs to get benched. He's entering Jimmy Clausen territory at this stage.

20. 101GangGreen101

I want a true student of the game that applies what he learns off the field in game tape to on the field performance. I want a QB that can read a freaking NFL defense and continue to learn from that, I want a QB that is TRULY accurate.

Last QB that did this was Chad Pennington who was a true student of the game.

Whatever Geno learns does not get applied to on-field performance. Remember what I said about greatness previously? A great player's greatest critic is himself. He doesn't need great competition to become great.