Geno Smith is the best player on this team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Geno Smith might become that guy, but he's not there yet. I've heard some good things out of OTAs. It's going to be a fun year.

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I hope Geno does become that good. I still believe our best players are on defense though.

4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Outside of Sheldon and Mo. I think Geno may be 3rd; Harris? No. Kerley? No. Ivory? No? Mangold/Brick? Maybe? Snacks, Pace, Deck, CJ2k? Idk

5. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Geno needs to improve alot he has as many upside as you can get , but he is still very raw and his mental aproach to the game is not above average at least not yet.

6. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

The potential for Geno to be great is there.. He has all the physical attributes.. It is going to come down to his mental fortitude... If he can handle New York, work on his
    deficiencies, and study his ass off, he will be great.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Keep trolling like this and you will be ass out...

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Falcons defense was horri-bad. No secondary, no pass-rush.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I hope he develops into that b/c that will mean great things for the future but he's nowhere near the best now, closer to the worst starter than best.

abyzmul likes this.
  10. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Regardless... Going into ATL on a national stage and having a flawless game is impressive. Especially for a rookie in only his 5th game.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What he demonstrated coming off the gate early last year and what he can become after some NFL experience and tweaking his foot work are two completely different things. I think the potential is there for him to be absolutely great.
    Say what you will, but he was put in the line of fire when he was not even remotely ready to play at an NFL level under center. Couple that with the lack of weapons to help him learn on the fly and we were damned lucky to win 7 games. He improved at an unbelievable rate from 1 to game 16. If he takes off from were he left off last year he just might be the guy we have been hoping for.
    He might not be considered the best player from a pure skill perspective but could very well become the most important and crucial player to the team future.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Footwork, reading defenses, ball security (btw, can you enlarge his 'mitts' some while you're at it?) .... we're getting a little ahead of ourselves.

Let it play out first (while hoping for the best for G. Smith and the team).

13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Geno was a rook last year, the rookie of the year was on our team, and it wasnt geno. Automatically ends convo.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

As if an argument was actually necessary.

15. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Gee, gosh, I sure do wonder if this is Pick6's alternate account where he goes in completely the opposite direction by being unjustifiably positive instead of unjustifiably negative.

Smith has not shown that he has the potential to be a top-end QB. What he did show is that he could potentially be decent, and what optimistic Jets fans can reasonably hope for is that he will be an average/decent QB. With a great defense and running game, you don't need a top-end QB to be a contender- if Geno merely turns out to be decent that will be a huge win for the Jets.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Good call - I'll bet this can be traced back to some patriots forum with a chowder head pointing out how stupid all Jets fans are based on this thread.

17. Denny

Denny Active Member

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Only person getting nailed is your mother, in a NYJ gang-bang featuring the entire offensive line

19. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

As much as I really do believe we will see a much improved Geno Smith this year, to say he is the best player on the roster is saying that there is not a player on the team better then a quarter back coming into his second year who had an up and down rookie season showing signs of hope. I would be very worried if that were the case. The best player on the team at this current time would likely have to be Muhammad Wilkerson however in a sport that is so heavily based on team work it is very hard to determine who is the best player. Many players will seem bad on one team due to them not fitting into the teams philosophy regarding their position plus talent around a player can make them more or less likely to shine depending on the circumstances. I would say Wilkerson is the best player on the team due to his ability to shed blockers quickly and split the double team, also for a man his size he is able to chase the ball down very well. The other canidate I see for best player is Sheldon Richardson. If he was not so young I would put him better then Wilkerson however it is hard to determine how much of his success was due to Wilkerson being double teamed, and other players in the league having no experience playing against him and little film on him to study from. His incredible high motor should be noted as well as his close in speed. Another example of it being hard to determine the best player on the team however is also how much of the defensive players success be attributed to Rex Ryans deffensive calls. Would they have the same success under the an offensive minded coach? There are very few players in the league who an stand out clearly as the best player on a team, those players are the players you would not even have to think twice if asked who is the best player on their team. (Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, etc). Other then those elite standouts it is very hard if not impossible to know who is actually the best professional football player on a team.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Good gosh, what is in the water these days, I think all Jet fans want Geno to be really good but the fact is, he is not good right now, and I don't think he will be good next year.

When I hear of his improvement from fans at the end of the year, it makes me wonder what kind of steps is a professional athlete suppose to take.

He was so bad that when he did not make as many mistakes it's considered improvement.

I see improvement as making a swing to the other side of the bar, where the positives out weight the negatives, not the lesser of 2 negatives.

He is just not good right now, and honestly I don't think he is the QB to take us to the next level.

JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.