Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Ok professor, and what did you conclude from your research? You liked the pick?

2. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

I didn't realize this thread was now about the value of collegiate football "degrees" and the ethics related to such farces. I for one don't really care how smart or dumb Geno is. He was an Air Raid inflated mediocre prospect that Idzik stupidly bit on, who now is a bottom 5 QB in the league second year running.

3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Yes. I did. It was good second round value. Of course he's not playing well now, but you don't see me calling him dumb with zero support. Other than another agenda...

4. b.reyes16

It's more of a defense against an unfounded claim, not of yours, but you seem to agree with it.

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Just because a QB doesnt have a high football IQ, doesnt mean he is a dumb person.

Listen to Geno when he speaks, he isnt a dumb person at all.

GoldenShowers likes this.
  6. Chadchrebet

I called him dumb when I saw him play in Lubbock, TX and in the pinstripe bowl when he lost to 'Cuse & Nassib (Who I thought way a much better QB). But i'm different, i actually don't take Mel Kipers word as gospel, and look at makeup of the QB and his character along with other measurables.

7. GoldenShowers

I dont agree or disagree. I think that touting a high GPA from a football player at a factory school like WVU is as silly as saying he's dumb b/c he's from rural Florida. Both points are irrelevant to the issue at hand which is he is a bad QB and it was a TERRIBLE pick and anyone who really follows college ball would have said the same thing. That new article shows that the Jets themselves weren't sold on him, but Idzik wanted the kid.

8. b.reyes16

Nobody takes Kiper's word for gospel. Your inexperience on this board shows. Most on this board are pretty knowledgeable on the sport. Check out the draft section when it gets close to draft time. People do their own analysis and very well, I might add. I don't know how anyone could argue against Geno's college career. It was historic.

9. b.reyes16

He was good value. We're also acting like his career is over. Again, just 20 games in.

10. GoldenShowers

LMFAO!!!!! Historic!!! Ever heard of Graham Harrell, Jason White, Case Keenum, Timmy Chang, etc? Btw, go look at which college team leads the FBS in passing right now. Ah yes, the godfather of the gimmick Air Raid and his Wazzu team (who is terribe btw despite the gaudy passing). Any one who doesn't take a Hal Mumme/Mike Leach QB with a grain of salt needs to read more and speak less.

11. Chadchrebet

Good value according to whom. I liked Nassib & Barkley better than him. What amazes me most about Jet fans that defend him is, what did you expect this guy to be? Honestly? Did you beleive he could take us to the promise land?

12. GoldenShowers

Why was he good value? B/c 6 months prior to draft day he was rated highly by Kiper? The kid was a mediocre talent playing in the most inflation producing pass offense in the modern era. That's why 32 teams passed on the dude. The object isn't to win the draft, it's to get great players and we have failed that massively under Idzik.

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Don't know where you got these numbers. Eli was 30 and 26 his first 2 seasons and that was with 25 games. He also got os it and watch. And he had bette3r personnel. If he had not been a first rounder he might have gotten chopped.

14. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Case Keenum had a few nice games for the Texans on the pro level. There's also a pretty good QB in Philly that played in the Air Raid offense back in Arizona. His name is Nick Foles.

Also Geno Smith put up good numbers before Holgorsen came to West Virgina under the late Bill Stewart and his Spread Option offense as a Sophomore, they just doubled the following year as a Junior. His rating was not far off from being in an Air Raid offense.

15. BakerMaker

The same Pinstripe Bowl with disastrous weather and where both Geno AND Nassib(In fact Geno had the better game despite the WVU D getting spanked on the ground by Syracuse and making Geno try and throw for a comeback) struggled?

16. Chadchrebet

Yup it rains in the NFL, occasionally there is wind, even in the meadowlands!

17. BakerMaker

If by rain and occasional wind you mean nasty snow you would be correct that it does happen occasional in the NFL. I just wanted to portray the picture of what happened that game. Not many QBs would succeed in those conditions.

[​IMG]

18. Chadchrebet

Make sure you also look up Geno taking a safety in the endzone for intentional grounding. Let me know if you have that picture also.
    -Thx

19. mute

mute Well-Known Member

slimjasi and The 1985er like this.
  20. Chadchrebet

O yes who better to listen to then charles barkley on american race relations. He is an authority on the subject.