Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

I agree that he wouldn't destroy Geno's future. But what would be the point? You would be doubling down on a guy that turned the ball over 29 times and then rode the bench in his second season. It seems silly. And as far as teaching Geno. MM is the perfect guy to teach Geno and that hasn't worked out yet.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The point would be to win more games with the better qb.

3. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

The discussion was three posts and you didn't follow it.

4. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I think it's Geno's job to lose. The fact that we play Oakland in week one is kind of a catch-22, because it he comes out and lights them up, everyone will say "big deal, it's just Oakland." If he has a bad game, everyone will be calling for his head.

Br4d and The 1985er like this.
  5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The reason this point keeps coming up in answer to the reasons to start Vick is because there is some merit to it. But imo it is not enough to overcome the if you will pro Vick arguments.

One consideration is that the Jets will still be seeing Smith in practices, and maybe some real game playing time. Maybe a lot of that, depending. So there's that.

As for teaching Smith, I would agree there would be less involvement by Marty with him if Vick is starting. But that doesn't mean there's no involvement between your backup, developing Qb and the CS.

So it's not really accurate to say that starting Vick would mean that Smith will be in an equivalent position next off season. Imo the CS will have more info on which to assess him going forward, even if he does not start.

Meanwhile I firmly believe the Jets will be a stronger team with Vick as the starter, and after all winning games is what the sport is all about.

6. LWC611

LWC611 Member

If Vick beats out Geno, then he deserves the nod to Start. I think that Geno will play but he may learn a lot by watching, then we see next year. However I do expect that if Vick beats out Geno the Jets will get another QB in the draft next year.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Being an NFL QB is like scrambling out from under a pile of rabid weasels all trying to eat your face every week. It's not a piece of cake type job. Until a guy has been really good for a season or two there will always be the question of whether the team shouldn't be looking for somebody else to do the job.

I think if Geno wins the job he plays the entire season under a question mark. I think if Vick wins the job he plays half the season under a question mark and then likely gets hurt. I think if Tajh Boyd or Matt Simms wins the job everybody is under a question mark next year.

It just is what it is. Either one of the young guys works out or the Jets are drafting a QB in 2015.

8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

This. In purely objective terms, Vick gives us the best chance of winning games on a consistent basis (barring the somewhat inevitable injuries he's likely to incur of course). Those who honestly feel that Smith is "the better QB" of the two right now are hopeless "Homer-sexuals." :D

Big Blocker and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

At this juncture, no excuse for Geno Smith not to be able to string together a few good games in a row.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Geno's only played 1 year in the NFL. Vick has played in that exact system for the majority of his career. He can show Geno Smith things on the field and help him correct specific mechanical flaws in his game. It isn't the same as MM explaining how to do it. Mike Vick can actually do it and help him in a 'hands on' kind of way.

The 1985er likes this.
  11. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Vick starting this year, but this Geno bashing is ridiculous and getting old. The kid was a $&-&@-! Rookie and had no one to throw the ball to! I don't see why people are so quick to write a player off, especially our potential franchise QB. Give the guy another year in the NFL for Christ's sake. I really hope he lights it up this year so that I may observe the huge swing in opinion among the average fan. The average fan doesn't know jack shit about "their" team let alone the NY Jets. It's laughable really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LWC611 likes this.
  12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, overall Geno was not good last year. There are reasons Geno was not good that related to Geno and that related to players around him. Sitting Geno doesn't make him worse in my opinion, especially if Vick plays better. He can learn from there. However, if he outplays Vick he should start. That's the thing, Geno has not shown the starting job should be his and there isn't a heavy investment in him starting either. If he plays well enough to start, he will. If he doesn't, he won't. That is probably the best case scenario for us.

I am 100% sure every Jets fan would love to see him throw out an MVP type year. It would be great for the Jets this season and in the future.

LWC611, Big Blocker and Altoona like this.
  13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there was a very similar sports nation poll where the vast, vast majority said Tebow should start over Mark Sanchez, so, yeah.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No need to draft again. You drafted Boyd, a Vick prototype in 6th 2014.

15. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

No they're not alike. If he was, he'd have been a first round pick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Start Vick and move Geno to our #2 DB spot. He could teach the younger DBs how to back peddle. win/win

17. NYJetsO12

I am not sure if Vick was drafted Round one out of VT and in fact Boyd has been compared to Vick in media. Vick and Boyd know each other. IMO, the Jets are moving forward with a model of a strong running QB for future who has some good, not spectacular passing ability. There were other QBs ranked higher than Boyd this year so it precluded him from going earlier in the draft. You are right, Vick and TB are different :Boyd has a lot more tread on his tires for years to come.

#197 NYJetsO12, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  18. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I never said Geno should start. I just said the Geno bashing is getting old. I agree the player who gives us the best chance to win should play. I just thinks it's unfair to say that Geno sucks after just his rookie season. Like you said, there were circumstances that attributed to his overall poor play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LWC611 and MaximusD163 like this.
  19. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

If Geno was mediocre to bad for the entire year, then Geno bashers have a point. Instead, he gave us glimpses in the beginning and end of the year that he could be a very good QB in this league. Vick is a fantasy QB only. Watch him play and you'll realize this. He is as dumb as rocks out there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RexontheBeach likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

I would love a QB "dumb as the rocks" with QB ratings of 90s and 100s !