Generational Jets Mismanagement - Why?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sack exchange, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I listened to this podcast about why Woodhead got cut, and how dysfunctional on how it was done. Not saying he was great player, but he was a good piece for the offense and better than what we had. And we signed him as UDFA. He was good find. Then I started to think over the years of how the jets handled, trades, cuts, personnel matters, drafts, contracts, FA signings, etc. and over and over see inept management. Is it the Johnsons as the common thread? Or just we hire the wrong people. Do you have any instances that we could of done better, and if so how much would have made difference in our success/failure. And how do we fix going forward.

Here is the link to woodhead podcast, it was good listen. I loved woodhead, wish we would have handled better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sack exchange

Mark Sanchez had good perspective on this... the generational good teams have a mantra, and don’t stray from it!

3. Sack exchange

I keep reading the Jets recipe for future success:
    Keep JD
    Keep Gase, go 0-16, get #1 pick
    Take Lawrence
    Trade our young talent for picks
    Stockpile picks

All well and good in themselves, but none of them fixes the real issue, the same ole jets mentality. I know we can’t fix the past, but we can create a new mantra, a new way of doing things. We had Parcells come in and try only to leave, we had Rex, only for him to implode. They were on right paths on how to fix the jets! When we going to start hiring the right people, drafting the right players, handling FA the right way, creating the right locker room, creating the right culture, implementing the right system/process, etc. That is the path to success!

Success is not tanking and drafting Lawrence, stockpiling picks that may or may not be good players, and spending $$$ on top FAs, we may be better, and that is a big maybe. But in time we will suck again. There needs to be right system with right folks making decisions. We need to fix this for good now, so that we can seize the opportunity we have, high draft picks and plenty, most cap space, and to hire right staff. Let’s not squander.

JD said him and Gase have a vision for the jets future, well that vision is not what I want as a long time invested fan, if the current results are a prelude! I don’t think this disaster, is a prelude to success. I think change needs to happen to change the course.

#3 Sack exchange, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Since1969 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It took Rome 450 years to become an empire.. Why are you so impatient? We are clearly following the Roman model on how to build an empire. Look how it turned out for them..

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Jets need to steal some Sabine brides?

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Perhaps form a Legion or two..

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It made sense at the time. They had Tomlinson, Greene, and McKnight. No space really for Woodhead. After the Jets cut Danny Woodhead, they went on to go (11-5) that season and defeated Woodhead and Patriots in the playoffs. He went on to have a decent career, but that was a very minor mistake in the realm of mistakes in Jets history.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Not a lot of love for Tannenbaum in that room.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I will again point to Occam's Razor (Law): When there are multiple possible solutions for a problem, it's usually the simplest one that's right.

Yes, it is ownership!

Both Hess and the Johnsons sucked as owners, though the Johnsons have raised sucking to an art form. But where they succeeded was in turning the team into a cash cow, and make no mistake, that was their only objective. Winning was incidental...if it happened, great, but if it didn't, no big deal as long as the revenue kept pouring in.

Here's another old saying: Your attention is like a magnifying glass - you get more of what you focus it on (and therefore less of what you don't).

Hess and the Johnsons focused on making money, and not on winning. The proof of that saying is there for all to see.

Sack exchange likes this.
  10. Sack exchange

Mostly true, but we kept David Clowney instead of Woodhead. Woodhead was much better pro than Clowney. But going to NE, just inconceivable. He was feel good story and good player. But not huge loss like you say.

#10 Sack exchange, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020