General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Looks like Disney is going full girl power. First with The Marvels, and next: Madam Web. Although movies only cost me $1, I'm still gonna pass on Ms. Web. When Disney is done, the Avengers will probably be all teen females.

BTW, If you liked Austin Powers, you probably could get with Argyle. It didn't take itself seriously at all and because of that, it was mildly entertaining. Another time killer for boredom.

#1001 Cman68, Feb 4, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    The Dark Knight and barfolomew like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I thought it was really bad. The worst Indy movie by far. Ridiculous plot too. I felt bad for Harrison Ford.

3. The Dark Knight

Some quick film takes:

Oppenheimer was amazing. It deserves all of the Oscars it is going to win.

Killers of the Flower Moon was really good. It’s long, but I enjoyed it.

The Holdovers was pretty good. Way better than I expected.

Barbie is really overrated. Ryan Gosling was the best part, but overall it had a lot of issues to me.

The new Mission Impossible was alright. Not as good as the past couple.

John Wick: Chapter 4 still might be my favorite movie of 2023. Up there with Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t know, I turned it off about 5 minutes into it… on a 11 hour flight to Germany when I was just looking to occupy time. Terrible right from the get-go.

Barbie is also pretty terrible. Clever visuals brilliantly edited by marketing to look like an entertaining movie. The marketing team should get an academy award.

John Wick 4 is great. Oppenheimer 30 minutes too long.

The Dark Knight and abyzmul like this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

There's a new Indiana Jones movie?!? I guess I'm not missing much lol

While I enjoyed the earlier ones, I passed on John Wick 4 thinking "How many times can they show a guy shoot 50 people in the face?!?" I may check it out now

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

Yeah, agreed on all of that. Smart move turning Indy off. Silence is a much better option. :)

I don’t think Oppenheimer is too long, but it did have a similar false sense of ending just like The Dark Knight had. You feel like this is a good place to stop, but it goes on for 40 more minutes. I guess Christopher Nolan just does that. I don’t mind though.
    The answer is a lot. :D I’d say 4 is the best of all the John Wick movies, and that is saying something, because I like them all.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. stinkyB

Is Cman headed to see the Bob Marley flick today?

8. Cman68

Keys Cobra 29 CB radio...

Breaker 1 - 9: Umm... that's a big N-O there good buddy!

#1008 Cman68, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  9. stinkyB

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

An older movie but I watched it again as there is a new prequel series on one of the streaming services - I forget which one - Sexy Beast - with Ray Winstone and a brilliantly unhinged Ben Kingsley - really good crime movie

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

OK, so about a month ago I was scouring free apps for something to watch and I came across 'Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland'. At first I thought it was a different Michael Jackson documentary than the other Neverland one, but it wasn't. It's a hilariously bad bio-pic (from the bodyguard's POV). I guess there was a book by same.

The subject matter is serious enough, but the dude who played Michael Jackson, some guy named Navi, looks like a walking facial prosthesis. I'm thinking, please don't tell me this is a Michael Jackson impersonator and that he hacked at his face. Well, you guessed it, he is indeed a Michael Jackson impersonator and he hacked at his face . . . to look more like Michael Jackson. o_O Why the F would you . . . nevermind. I just don't know.

It was terrible, and I shrieked a time or two, so I guess on scale of pain it was a 2 because of the unintentional hilarity factor. Incidentally, there is a movie about to come out with Jermaine Jackson's son playing Michael Jackson. Thank heavens it's make up.

#1011 jetophile, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  12. Cman68

Stay far away from Madame Web.. Wife put gun to head wanting to support another girl power movie. The only reason why we weren't disappointed was because we expected nothing and that's exactly what we got. Disney had better wake the fuck up and start using the formula that got Marvel Studios where it used to be instead of the garbage they put out these days.

13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Saw One Love last night, it was really well done.
    Didn’t think I was heading to the theatre until next Dune movie, but the wife dragged me out last night.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Probably in hopes that he could play Michael Jackson in a movie.

15. JetBlue

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning is such a major disappointment. There’s probably a great movie in there but they took the approach that more was better and every fight, every chase, every conflict was drawn out twice as long as it needed to be. Could have easily been two hours long without losing anything.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Dakota Johnson looks like a mannequin. In everything.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can even deal with a higher level of woke nonsense, but I also think it’s the fact that super hero’s movies aren’t that exciting when there’s 100 thrown out there every year and 16 series.

Everyone’s a fucking super hero. They’ve oversaturated the market big time.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I was traveling over the weekend and had a couple hours to kill, so I ducked into a movie theatre and caught Poor Things. Didn’t know a single thing about it but it fit my schedule. Hard to describe. Freaky. Funny. Insanely sexual. I mean, if you’d call seeing Emma Stone get fucked a few dozen times insanely sexual. Not a bad use of two hours. I’ll definitely catch it again when it streams.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. JetBlue

The problem with the super hero genre at this point is there is nothing new or interesting being done in them that hasn’t been seen before. Another version of a planetary attack, or drawn out battle between a hero and an army of villains isn’t as interesting to audiences today as it was 20 years ago.

the studios ran it into the ground and now are at a loss at what can actually interest audiences who aren’t willing to see the same movie with different skins, to use a video game analogy.

20. Cman68

I'm surprised they let the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Silver Surfer and other storylines just fade into the ether. The Eternals was a horrible variant of The Inhumans which probably would have had s better result IF they had kept the FF linkage but nooooo, they had to put their "unique" spin on it which was the kiss of death.

JetBlue likes this.