General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just watched The Batman for the first time. I can't tell which plot hole was my favorite. And the blatant ripoffs of Se7en were nice as well.

What a pile of shit.

The Dark Knight and JackBower like this.
  2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

The wife and I took both kids (16 and 13) who drove us crazy to see this movie. It was a lot of fun, with some "thank you" jokes directed at the adults who were there.

I can't believe how good Anna Taylor-Joy was as Peach.

Between Mario and Puss & Boots, the past year had two of the best animated movies in a LONG time.

#962 HackettSuxTNG, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Repeat Post by my error

#963 HackettSuxTNG, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'Moonage Daydream' looks really good (to me). I'm a big Bowie fan so I'll be checking it out. I heard it's really choppy and generally not for those who don't care for his music. The latter is generally true for any band or artist I find.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saw GoTG 3. Honestly, it was the weakest of the series. Plot took forever to develop as they tried to build upon their Avengers part. As usual, the characters were true to form but the humor felt forced at times. 2nd half of the movie saved it as the writers tried to introduce another super villian in the High Evolutionary. Movie is worth a download, but not a ticket. Just like Antman. Marvel's movies all seem to feel like the writers burned out.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. abyzmul

Or that it's not the same writers? The whole franchise is a pile of overexposed trash now, they want to create garbage and ride the momentum.

I tapped out when I saw the trailer for the Eternals.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We might just be at a phase of the super hero movie meta where the fresh ideas aren't there and the risks are becoming greater for the studios.

I have to admit that other than the Robert Downey Jr Iron Man series I just haven't been all that interested in these from the get-go. I was only interested in those because Robert Downey Jr is a pretty fantastic actor in whatever he does.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I gave up Marvel movies halfway through Endgame. I've continued to be Marvel'd out since then and have no desire to watch another one.

I did watch the new Thor however on a flight a few months ago. It was whatever, which is what I felt about Marvel movies by the time I gave up on them.

Trip back I watched Nope, which I thought was terrible. I guess the movie is supposed to be watched on a big screen and surround sound, and I watched it sandwiched between two dudes on a 6 inch screen.. but I didn't think there were any twists and it unfolded in a very predictable way.

#968 JackBower, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
  9. Cman68

Nope sucked on the big screen too...

JetBlue and JackBower like this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Nope is what happens when you tell someone who is clever that he’s a genius.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think it’s the audience that is burned out. How many comic book movies have we gotten over the last 20 years? There’s nothing new to get from them after this two decades bombardment, just slight deviations that are bigger or sillier. Ideas that would have been exciting 10 years ago are now boring because we’ve seen something similar a dozen times already. The genre was always going to hit this wall, what amazes me is that studios are in such denial of it ending since they’ve all invested so heavily into trying to build their universes that they are going to try to run the wall over under the guise that they can recapture the interest and excitement from 10 years ago. They can’t. It’s over.

if DC was smart they’d abandon James Gunn’s ridiculous DC universe plans; the audience isn’t there for a new interconnected series of films. They are setting themselves up for disaster if they go forward.

their standalone films work - The Batman and Joker. Audiences would be receptive to standalone comic book movies that are interesting, not products

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  12. abyzmul

You know there is an inevitable and cringeworthy DC-Marvel crossover they will do before the death knell.

Cman68 and JetBlue like this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm waiting for the Captain Underpants series. That seems inevitable.

14. Cman68

Marvel can't even agree on a "Capt. Marvel" sequel. They tried to set up a new "GoTG" crew but it will fail. The list gets longer with "Black Adam", "Wonder Woman" and "Shazam" which was a complete waste of time watching it. Like JB said, its time for the endless franchise sequels to come to an end. MAYBE one last Justice League. We were REALLY disappointed with the GoTG finale and will have a hard time convincing ourselves to go see anymore of the franchise movies. And they wonder why people download...

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

#975 Dierking, May 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023
  16. jetophile

I've been banging this drum for years, but I absolutely despise comic book/Super hero movies. No offense to anyone, honest; and I fully understand the appeal, but I was already in a coma once so I don't feel like being bored into a second one. I think it's because I admittedly developed a prejudice over the years that no-one can come up with an original idea for a film to save their lives. The last comic book movie I saw was the first Batman one with Christian Bale in it, and that's because I was forced into it. I laughed at parts that weren't supposed to be funny. One time it was on TV years later so I said, alright, let me try this again. I know it's sacrilege to say so, but I thought it sucked. I cracked up out loud when he said, "I'm not wearin' hawkey pants!"

Every time a new super hero movie is ground out, I ignore everything about it. Maybe I'm screwing myself out of something fun, but somehow I doubt it. I didn't post this just to crap on what other people like. It's just a differing subjective viewpoint, and it's not because I'm some arthouse snob. That's the last thing on earth that I am, trust me. As a matter of fact, 'Buttcrack' is on tonight!

The Dark Knight and joe like this.
  17. jetophile

Oh, wait, I forgot, I did see 'Kickass' years ago. Other than the completely unnecessary opening wanking scene, it was kind of enjoyable. I didn't know it was a comic book movie until after the fact, and I groaned out loud. It didn't kill me in the end, though, I guess.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What plot holes? And the nods to Se7en were cool. Se7en is a great movie. It's okay that you did not enjoy The Batman, but I thought it was really well done.
    Guardians Vol 3 was interesting. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. It had some heartfelt moments, but it lacked the entertainment and fun we were used to with the Guardians. I am fine with that series being done.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. abyzmul

Those were not "nods" to Se7en. I like cinematic nods, especially when they are well done. These didn't strike me as either. It's not a nod when they're are entire monologues with one or two words changed to make it The Batman and not Se7en, and it's not a nod when they mock up an entire set to look close to the set of Se7en... it was a ripoff disguised as a nod. That was some of the laziest, unimaginative garbage I have seen in like 2 months.

And the plot holes were like a mine field. It wasn't a very memorable movie, so I would actually need to skim back through it to find the most egregious ones to make my point, I do remember laughing at some of it, like he's only been Batman it for a couple of years but somehow every criminal in the city knows who he is and his dumb vengeance line. And how about the Riddler trying to kill Batman with a bomb at Wayne manor, then the ZANY reveal that he says he planned the whole thing so they could watch it together at the end from Arkham. Did the director forget about that bomb part? You can't just write everything off with "He's crazy" to justify lame slips in logic. I think the movie was pretty bad all around, though.

I swear every time I saw Robert Pattinson's pasty rain-drenched face, I kept thinking I was looking at the Joker. Not believable. Maybe as The Crow.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That actually can be explained because he sent the bomb to Bruce Wayne. He wanted to kill him. That is the big reveal in the interrogation scene, that Riddler actually did not know Batman was Bruce. And he thought he was working with Batman to bring down the rich corrupt of Gotham, including Bruce Wayne. I thought it was well done.
    Yeah, I don't know how he spread the word that he was Vengeance, but that was no biggie to me. The people I have talked to who did not like the film, did not buy Robert Pattinson as Batman either, but I thought he did a fine job.

I knew when I was watching The Batman that it would not be for everybody, but I liked it a lot.