General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I dunno. I’ve liked the first movie of all three different renditions of Spider-Man. But I’ve been pretty much done with superhero movies since End Game PT II. Too much Marvel for me. And when I’m back into it, I’ll have a ton to watch.

You’re just being crabby about Spider-Man though. ;)

JackBower likes this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'Jay Sebring: Cutting To The Truth', documentary about Jay Sebring made by his nephew It lagged in some places, repetitive in others, but worth a watch Anyway, Sebring was much maligned and Vincent Bugliosi isn't exactly the hero we think he is. If you're dead you can't fight back.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hold the Dark on Netflix was really good.

If you need everything wrapped up in a neat little package it's probably not for you. If you enjoy psychological thrillers it's going to be right up your alley.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it's really violent, like No Country for Old Men violent and if you can't watch that kind of stuff it is not for you.

#823 Br4d, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    REVISion, IDFjet, Poeman and 2 others like this.
  4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I couldn't even finish part 2. Just over it and have no pulse to go back as of now

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Same feelings

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If you guys are into strong dramas and Oscar type movies. I checked out Mass and CODA this past weekend. Both were incredible films.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Dude--interesting and enjoyable movie--thanks for recommending

8. Br4d

Planning to go back and watch it again at some point when the details have fuzzed out a bit. It has a lot of symbolism in it that probably went right over my head as i tried to keep up with events.

barfolomew likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Was looking for a movie to watch tonight and this seems right up my alley. Thanks for the rec.

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

IDK bro--I don't think they really articulated the spiritual aspect of wolf to human. Kind of left that to imagination. Just an enjoyable flick. The antagonist was in the movie the kill team as a bad ass sergeant in Iraq. That was decent too.

Br4d likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Hold the Dark was really good, better than I expected it to be for sure. I'm very wary of Netflix movies because the vast majority are awful but this was definitely good.

Super violent as Brad said, but not for no reason. Lots of breathtaking and shocking moments throughout.

barfolomew likes this.
  12. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

There is another movie by the director of hold the dark, called green room. It's very good, hyper violent. And a bit more on the nose than hold the dark

REVISion likes this.
  13. jetophile

'Blue Ruin' for the win.

14. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Never seen it. I'll check it out.

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Re-reading the book at the moment. First time in 20+ years. Realised that there is a two year gap between what you would call acts 1 and 2 in the novel. It explicitly says that time frame and a ton of stuff, mostly background but important to the ongoing story, happens in that time. Given who directed it, it wouldn't shock me if this was deliberate to match the novel.

Br4d, The Dark Knight and barfolomew like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is probably what he was going for, but still risky by the studio if the film would have flopped. Then you just have Part 1 of Dune and that is it. Looks like Warner Bros will let him make a trilogy though. (Dune Part I and Part II plus Messiah) We will see.

17. Br4d

Gonna give this one a shot.

REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  18. jetophile

'Green Room' is in the horror thread, but since it was brought up here, I'll put it here. I liked it a lot. Poor Anton Yelchin. I know I mentioned him/that in the original post in the other thread. If you don't know about it, he died a really awful death. Very sad, and he was right on the cusp of really making it big.

This probably belongs in the horror thread, too, but 'Murder Party' (horror comedy by the same director, Jeremy Saulnier). It's his first feature film. It's such stupid fun with some excellent kills near the end. It's a great way to mindlessly waste a cold Winter night. The director's buddy, Macon Blaine is in it, as well as in 'Blue Ruin' and 'Green Room'. Blaine wrote the screenplay for 'Hold the Dark', but only has a bit part in it. I really like that guy. 'Blue Ruin' is in here pages back:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/general-film-talk-thread.90778/page-35#post-4101757

Anyway, 'Murder Party':

I re-watched it on Halloween, haha. There's some good in jokes, like the baseball guy. Anyone remember that street gang movie 'The Warriors'? lol

19. Br4d

I think Anton Yelchin's death is the thing that ended the 2009 Star Trek film series. They had plans for another couple of films after the first trio and they couldn't get Chris Pine's attention after Yelchin's death. Rumors were that he didn't want to be type-casted as Kirk moving forward but my guess is that he and Yelchin were friends.

Similarly we had both a sequel and a hyped series coming up for GalaxyQuest until Alan Rickman's death. Rickman was the glue in that cast that everybody enjoyed working with.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like that trilogy a lot. Anton was great in them too. There have been rumors of a 4th one for a long time, but still nothing has materialized.

bicketybam likes this.