General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's so bad, haha.

Brook! likes this.
  2. jetophile

'Mandy' with Nicholas Cage. A+ for gore, A+ for camp.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Little bit late to this conversation but Dune was one of the best movies I've seen in the last 10 years or so. I read the book before the movie and didn't love it, not a huge fan of Herbert's writing style. The movie was incredible though. Among the most visually impressive movies I've seen, definitely worth opting for IMAX. Couple the visuals with Hans Zimmer on the soundtrack and it was just phenomenally done top to bottom.

I also liked that the movie took itself very seriously. It's a dark story and it leaned into that fact. I don't like when movies have comedic relief just for the sake of it, it cuts the tension unnecessarily. Dune felt serious at all times which I appreciate for this type of story.

barfolomew and MoWilkBeast like this.
  4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm with you, and my wife, too - we thought it was extremely well done. Too bad that it will be a couple of years to see the second half.

barfolomew and REVISion like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Waiting for the new Spiderman. I'm a big Dr. Strange fan so for me, this one should be a slamdunk!

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The addition of Dr Strange gave me some hope about those rumors about the old Spiderman cast. Sounds like an opportunity for a quick campy cameo opportunity that involves alternate timelines,, I really don't think they will be primary cast members.

I think this run of Marvel movies is kind of a lazy segue into what they plan on being their second wind with FF4 and mutants (Xmen, etc) "saving" the franchise. I'm hoping Blood doesn't suck like the latest movies have.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

Saw Dune at IMAX today and I'm torn about it.

A lot of the scenes felt like victims of the cutting room. Movie format is not long enough to do it justice and it looks like they found that out the hard way. Lots of high profile actors that all played bit parts and are second to Timothee Chalamet, who I have to say that I've heard good things about and that is probably because he is wildly overrated. He sure has that pouty teen angst look down pat though. He seemed like a teenage kid trying to live up to the moment and then I saw he is 25.

Overall, they did a lot right. The scale of most of the scenes felt perfect, there were some interesting wardrobe choices and the technology was well done, I loved the Thopters. The dialogue was kept so true to the source material that it was almost a detriment. They probably should have massaged the script a little, not so much rewrite the dialogue, but make it sound less like a 1965 Sci Fi novel.

Overall it was a good movie, did not blow me away like I was hoping. Sure didn't feel like a movie shot in IMAX though. Those night scenes were bad.

barfolomew and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Spider-Man: No Way Home lived up to the hype! It was a great movie. Probably the best Spider-Man film since Spider-Man 2 in 2004. I will post no spoilers here, as fans should enjoy all the surprises that happen in the film. Try to avoid social media if you don't want stuff spoiled though, as many others are not as thoughtful as myself. Haha. Go see it!

Side note: This was the first PACKED theater I was in since the pandemic began, and honestly it was uncomfortable. I heard so much coughing and sneezing and it just makes you worry with so much Covid going around. Not sure putting out a blockbuster film like this at the moment is going to help, as it will likely spread the virus even more, but I get the studios not wanting to continue to push back film releases.

barfolomew likes this.
  9. abyzmul

I swear if Tobey McGuire and that other dude show up and that have a big dumb Spider Team I am going to troll you into oblivion.

10. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Going to see it Sunday with the fam and a friends fam. I was hoping to let the kids see it without a mask on (as they are vaccinated and it isn't required), but if it is packed, we may just mask up.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Watched The Vast of Night last week.

The story was interesting but the acting was amazing. It was the kind of rhythmic performance in a drama that you used to get in the film noir from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Haven't seen anything else directed by Andrew Patterson but I am going to be on the lookout now.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch It's a Wonderful Life for the 7th or 8th time today. I never saw it until it was one of the films we had to watch in film class when I was in college. Just a superb movie in every aspect.

Another movie that watch every few years is Holiday Inn. It does have a scene where the two stars perform in blackface, but I can get past it. The singing and dancing are superb and it's a really good story.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. abyzmul

I swear these millennials are rendering my carefully built arsenal of movie trivia obsolete. None of these fuckers know anything.

barfolomew likes this.
  14. Br4d

Geezer!

barfolomew likes this.
  15. abyzmul

For real.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They did a great job. I feel like Dune is really hard to adapt to the big screen, so they did pretty much as good as anyone could with this. I do get what you mean about some of the scenes and storylines feeling abrupt, but it's hard to fit everything in, even splitting it up into two films. Can't wait for Part Two, but I do think it is odd they did not film them back to back. You don't invest that much time and money to only make Part One.

I would enjoy a big dumb Spider Team film for sure! :D

Yeah, I kept my mask on despite being fully vaccinated too, but I would say 80% of my theater did not wear a mask. More people wore masks in the actual movie than the audience did. :)

phubbadaman, abyzmul and barfolomew like this.
  17. Br4d

This is the Netflix meta. Lots of initial investment and then hard drops if something doesn't meet your goals - which often are not getting raw viewers but drawing a specific viewer segment to the service.

I was so pissed off at them when Marco Polo got cut mid-plotline after season 2. They'd done this earlier with other shows but they basically gutted the premise of the show by dropping it on a cliffhanger. The show's big sin? It was drawing only the same viewer metrics it had the first season. Goodly number of people but Netflix wanted an expanding viewer base with new dynamics for it's investment and Marco Polo was just drawing the people who wanted historical dramas, mostly an older crowd.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I wondered what the story was there. Marco Polo was the best fur and feathers serial out there. Much better than Vikings, which I also liked.

Br4d likes this.
  19. jetophile

'The Onion Field'. Better than decent film noir (the book is far better), but some good acting turns and worth seeing for a psycho James Woods, Ted Danson's acting debut, and John Savage (he's very good in it).

Based on a true story, written by Joseph Wambaugh.

20. Br4d

The Last Kingdom. If you liked Marco Polo and Vikings you will love TLK.

The Dark Knight and Dierking like this.