General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Jeto, pour yourself a goblet of your favorite grape, kick back and enjoy a mindless comedy flick on occasion. Sometimes, its good to disengage the computer between your ears and just roll on autopilot for a spell. Trust me, it works wonders...:)

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Oh, I do! 'Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein', is one of my favorites! "Junior. Junior." Oh, Chick! Chick!" AND IT'S FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER, GOD FUKKIN' DAMNIT! Another one of my favorite comedies is the 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty' with Danny Kaye. It's so corny, but I absolutely love it. The original movie is loosely based on the James Thurber short story (which is actually really sad and depressing - don't read it if you feel like offing yourself).

The best scene is when Boris Karloff tries to strangle Danny Kaye and then tries to push him out the window. "Give me that book!" "Help! Help!" He gets shoved and hangs off a window ledge by his fingernails in NYC stories above traffic, but manages to pull himself up. He creeps along the ledge in to the window where his boss is incidentally holding an important board meeting. Pigeons fly in ad Danny Kaye continues creeping across the floor like a Marine trying to not be noticed. "MITTY!" It's comedic genius. It's one of the most underrated scenes in cinematic history. It is THAT funny. I wish I could find the clip, nowhere to be found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Maybe the MCU can give Wolverine his classic yellow suit back. I am excited to see where they take it. I'll definitely see Dark Phoenix though too.

4. jetophile

I know this is a short film, but this is precisely the kind of nonsense that slays me. Barak Hardley is a really talented guy, and I'm a big Rob Zabrecky fan. Enjoy the stupidity! You're welcome.

Another short film, and it's truly a screen gem. Alumni, and my friend, Steve, has a small cameo. He did all the sets and production design and he's a kick ass painter/sculptor/artist. He's also hilariously funny. Having us in the same room is often a bad idea. This was shot on conventional film, mind you, not digital. Seeing it on a big screen is the only thing that really does it justice. The colors are just amazing. Enjoy as well. And yeah, the film is not only ridiculous, it's brilliant all around.

5. jetophile

Not a rom/com person, but I heard 'Crazy Rich Asians' is really enjoyable. I'm game if someone tells me they didn't hate it.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I thought it was great - very funny, and you actually cared about the characters. I also enjoyed seeing all of the places I visited in Singapore a few years ago when I was there (https://www.bustle.com/p/13-crazy-r...-you-can-actually-visit-in-real-life-10137339).

7. jetophile

Thanks! Will now make sure to check out. : ) I heard through the grapevine that it kicks Dubai's ass, and through pics, for all of its over-the-topness, looks very sterile and ugly to me. Singapore, for its massive population, is supposedly very clean and extremely cosmopolitan. I've never heard anyone say they had a bad experience there, but bad experiences happen everywhere on vacations even in our own backyard, so . . . It's really a shame, because I'm an archaeology and cultural anthropology nut and there are so many places that I'll never see just because I want to come home alive. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

8. statjeff22

Singapore is extremely clean - they're well-known for their ban on chewing gum, and for the case of the American in 1994 who was sentenced to caning for graffiti. The society is definitely autocratic and conservative, so that's not a place you want to go if you're looking for a wild time, but it's incredibly safe. They've addressed the fact that the entire country is a city by putting public parks everywhere, many of which are lovely (with one, the Gardens By the Bay, quite amazing). The food there is the best I've ever tasted, an incredible combination of Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Thai, and western cuisines. You haven't lived until you've eaten at a Singaporean hawker centre (outdoors) or food court (indoors).

Having said that, the country is remarkably unexotic. When I went I expected something like Hong Kong - English influence, but distinctly Asian - but that's not the case at all. If it wasn't for the signs being in three languages (English, Chinese, and Tamil), most of the people being Chinese, and the weather (hot and humid all year round) you would think that you were in London most of the time.

9. The Dark Knight

I saw a couple movies this week:

A Star is Born:
    Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga do a great job. Sam Elliott and Dave Chappelle have nice small roles. I enjoyed the music too. No spoilers, but some parts definitely bum you out. Besides that, I enjoyed it.

First Man:

Probably one of my favorite films of the year. Learning about how we went to the moon and all of the work and sacrifice it took from all involved was amazing. Nice to learn more about Neil Armstrong too. The visuals and music are fantastic. Ryan Gosling is great, as usual. Some people will be bored when they see it though. It is not for everyone. It's a space movie, but it isn't. It is also a family drama about the difficulty of someone being in the space program and how it affects a family. Great experience.

CBG likes this.
  10. jetophile

Did anyone see 'American Animals'? Not an Evan Peters fan, but a better than decent performance. The way it was done was pretty good interweaving the actual heisters into the film as well as the Librarian. Ann Dowd is just so amazingly good. Probably the best character actress in our lifetime.

11. statjeff22

Saw A Star is Born tonight. Who knew Gaga could act, and who knew Cooper could sing and play guitar? I definitely see Oscar nominations in the big four categories (picture, director, actor, actress) in that movie's future, and Cooper and Gaga are definitely the front runners in their categories. Could be a big night for Cooper (producer, director, actor, screenplay). (Side note: apparently Cooper spent a year-and-a-half learning to play guitar for this role, the same way Ryan Gosling learned to play piano for La La Land.)

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Saw it last night and I was blown away.

I was a big fan of the Kris Kristofferson version but this blew it away.
    .Definitley going to be loads of nominations from this one.
    I was never a fan of Lady Gaga but this gave me a whole new appreciation of her talent.

13. The Dark Knight

Yeah, great stuff. Cooper selling that he is a Rock star was crucial to this movie and he really did. I was impressed.

14. jetophile

'Wildlife', I'm always down for a great drama and this is getting beyond rave reviews.

15. The Dark Knight

I saw Halloween tonight. I don't know what to say about it. It was okay. They made some interesting decisions. I thought the Dad and the little boy in it were funny and there were some good Michael Myers kills. The story is kind of all over the place.

16. The Dark Knight

Just saw Venom. Not as bad as most reviews say it is. It is a weird movie, but I enjoyed it. They have potential to make a better sequel. I hope they do.

17. jetophile

'Brawl in Cell Block 99'. I always thought Vince Vaughn was kind of a stiff, but he did a great job here, even though he messes up his accent at times and the dialogue can be way cheesy. The violence is so over the top, and some of the kills had me rolling. I lost count how many skulls and faces were smashed in and stomped out in unbelievable epic fashion, and when Bradley Thomas (Vaughn)
    gets shot at the end of the movie his exploding head
    looks so fake, haha. Highly recommend to anyone who likes exploitation films.

#77 jetophile, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

getting tix for the Queen/ Freddie Mercury movie as I type,,,,,,will let you guys know if I liked it----unless we get shut out lol

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Bohemian Rhapsody was excellent

20. jetophile

I heard Rami Malek was outstanding but the movie itself was eh. Glad you liked it. Will probably check out. I never saw them in concert but a friend of mine saw them in their prime and all the only way he could describe it was there were no words. I don't dislike Queen, I just never got into them as much as some people did. You were either kind of neutral or maniacal. I deeply respect Freddy Mercury's contribution to music for sure, though. Talented dude with an interesting background. Farsi (you say Parsi), there aren't many of them left, but Zoroastrianism is making a huge comeback, especially in Iran where it originated. It's very interesting and it's just more proof how many other religions are not only syncretic (as much as people protest that whatever religion they adhere to is not) but also complete ripoffs. One of the last Towers of Silence in India is falling into disuse to a large degree because the vulture population has been completely decimated due to pesticides.

CBG likes this.