General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Has she ever made a bad movie? Her cameo in Lone Star is one of the greatest scenes ever.

patleahy likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yes, I watched last night. I enjoyed it. I get why @NYGalPal did not like it, but it was an okay film. Not as scary and the weakest of the three Conjuring films, but I like Vera Farmiga a lot and thought she did great as always. I like how they changed up the story idea too, it just unfortunately made it less scary. (To me, at least)

patleahy likes this.
  3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

@NYGalPal @The Dark Knight since you guys were talking about the Conjuring, I thought you might get a kick out of this. Patrick Wilson made a surprise appearance at an opening night screening of the Conjuring in Clifton Commons, which is actually my old stomping grounds, lol. I remember when it first opened in the late 90's. Anyway, he gave a brief introduction to the film and took pictures with Conjuring fans in the lobby, signed autographs, etc. I had no idea he was from Montclair, lol.

The COVID-19 pandemic has indelibly changed the moviegoing experience. Now, we have the option to see many new films at home or in a theater.
    But those who chose to see “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It” in a local movie theater Friday were probably particularly glad they did.
    Montclair actor Patrick Wilson, who stars in the film as paranormal investigator Ed Warren, surprised moviegoers at AMC Clifton Commons on the film’s opening night. The actor didn’t have to go far from home to say hello and give an introduction to the film. “I’m gonna surprise these Conjuring fans who have no idea that I’m actually standing here by the concession stand,” Wilson said with a laugh. “It’s going to be fun!”

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/20...prises-nj-movie-theater-on-opening-night.html

NYGalPal and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. patleahy

@The Dark Knight Glad you enjoyed it, dude.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is really cool! Patrick Wilson is a good dude. He is great in the film too.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Not that I'm aware of, haha.
    She lives in Mahattan with Joel Coen and their adopted kid and just hangs with the locals, very unassuming. She's an adoptee like myself, too, which I always have a soft spot for.

I'm also a big fan of 'Barton Fink'. John Turturro does such a great job, just like he did in 'Miller's Crossing'. I really like when Directors favor the same actors over and over again. It's like when artists use the same life models, but it's always different.

Dierking likes this.
  7. jetophile

I will always be secretly in love with Mark Borchardt. The making/documentary of 'Coven' in 'Amercian Movie' almost exceeds the film, just like the making/documentary of 'Apocalypse Now'.

8. patleahy

I realize I am probably the only guy on the board, aside from maybe Br4d, who even remembers "Eddie Dane, aka The Dane", but he is one of my favourite Coen Bros. characters of all-time."

Br4d likes this.
  9. Dierking

Saw Peanut Butter Falcon on Amazon Prime last night. Not bad.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. Dierking

“I think you were straight with your frail.”

Can someone explain the etymology here?

patleahy likes this.
  11. patleahy

@Dierking per dictionary.com

Frail-noun
    Older Slang common in the 1930's, but now obsolete/no longer in use: Sometimes Offensive. a term used to refer to a girl or woman in derogatory fashion. Comparable to "floozy" or "dame."

12. Dierking

So he was talking about Verna. Makes sense.

One other thing about that movie. The Dane and Mink were lovers, and Bernie was having an affair with Mink as well. Was Drop Johnson also mixed into the gay triangle? He had Bernie's hat at his apartment and the Dane got him to spill the beans. I still don't understand why he was screaming when Caspar took down the Dane, unless maybe they were lovers too?

13. patleahy

14. jetophile

'Sicario'. Not sure if it was mentioned in here, but quite a few chilling scenes. Benicio del Toro kills it. Heh. Emily Blunt is great, too. I didn't bother with the second installment because I heard it sucked.

REVISion likes this.
  15. jetophile

Just an aside, but "You giving me the high hat?" His kid in the movie reminds me of Andy Giuliani. That's a good theory, but could also just be a Coenism. I'll have to think about it some more

16. Dierking

One of the better musicals out there.

17. jetophile

Guillermo del Toro is doing a remake of 1947's 'Nightmare Alley'. I loved the original, it was really controversial because it was so seedy, kind of like 'Freaks'. I'm down.

18. jetophile

I up you 'The Last Waltz'.

19. Dierking

Okay, but you just dropped the MOAB classic rock movie on top of a mildly groovy, semi-indie fan piece.

patleahy likes this.
  20. jetophile

A lot of people haven't actually seen it. I love Neil Young. I don't know how such a whiny voice ever actually made it, and I don't think he ever cranked out a bad album. 'Heart of Gold' will always ring loud in my childhood.

Haha, I don't think I've ever heard anything like this. I can't find any links to the songs, but it's the worst.

[​IMG]
    I'll have to try harder.